Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH4 Audio Levels
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • And just to add...if I was not to use an external mic at all...and just use the inbuilt microphone what would be best the best settings then?..still at -12 or would that be too low?

• Hi @Imackreath If I'm using the Rode Videomic Pro as a top-mic and just recording your average person talking in the near vicinity of the camera, I usually set the GH4 to -6 and the Rode VideoMic Pro to 0. This gets me the levels I usually want.

Remember, you want voices to peak no higher than the white audio bar just before the red, preferably a little lower. And turn on the audio limiter.

Regarding trying to set the GH4 to -12... I know it might be a little less 'noisy' that way, but it also means I've got no extra room to bring down any loud noises / people when they occur during shooting. Whenever I'm setting the volume output of external sources I plan to plug into the GH4, whether they be audio from a mixing desk, a radio mic, or the Rode Videomic Pro, I usually try to adjust them so that I can set the GH4 to around -3 to -6 for average volumes. This way I can raise or lower the volume in the GH4 during shooting.

As for the built in mic, I wouldn't use it. In fact, the only time I'd use the Videomic Pro as a top mic would be for ambient noise or as a backup or reference track for syncing in post. For recording talent speaking, boom it or use a radio mic. The Videomic Pro is fairly decent but you need to get it nice and close to the person talking.

Cheers.

• Thanks for the response! To be honest this will be very run and gun, no formal sitting down for interviews etc, alot of moving from outside to inside, quiet to busy environment so I need kind of a 'one setting suits all' scenario. Anything other than either the internal mic or the rode is out of the question for my setup, so I might try the -6 and 0 on the rode and see how that works for me...thanks again

• I have a Panasonic GH3 and a SoundDevices 552. I am connecting the mixer out to the GH3, to record audio direct as well as internally. So using the XLR's on Line Out, with the GH3 audio level set at about 14, awful noise floor and feedback on one of the mics (through the h/p's) Couldn't work it out at first, since 'I assumed' that the audio input would accept line in. Then 'just for fun' I switched the 552 XLR out to Mic output level and set the GH3 level at 1. Bloody Bingo! No more noise floor and no more feedback. So looked at the 552 output settings, seems Mic Out is -20dB@0.078vrms and I'm wondering whether that more or less corresponds to various comments above. There is the -10 setting, but that corresponds to +6dB@1.5vrms...

• Can you tell me why there is no option to a sign 'audio adjust' even to the screen button? What Im doing wrong? It has to be a way to not going to main menu all the time.

• @cblok How did you set audio level adjust to screen fn button? I cant see this option in the fn button menu. I do however in my GH3. Whats wrong with me :) or my Gh4?