Personal View site logo
Nvidia GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 soon

Some more stuff

• 7680x4320@60Hz support
    • HDMI 2.0b interface with HDCP 2.2
    • Displayport 1.4
    • 180 W max consumption
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • It's a pity they don't offer a version utilizing HBM 2 memory like their "computing card" P100 does.

Let's see whether AMDs high-end graphics adapter will utilize HBM 2 this year.

• It's a pity they don't offer a version utilizing HBM 2 memory like their "computing card" P100 does

Why do you need one outside games?

• Are they adding native HEVC h.265 support in these?

• Are they adding native HEVC h.265 support in these?

They did not tell, but I suppose that yep.

• Well, HBM 2 memory is faster than GDDR 5 memory and at the same time requires less power. So a "high-end" graphics adapter could benefit from it, also for non-gaming (when used as a computation accelerator or as a 3D workstation).

• Supposedly there's just not enough HBM2 supply for any wide product releases this year. Estimated at first or second quarter of next year for the new monster GPUs. G5X has twice the bandwidth of G5, so that's still a nice increase.

• Lots of 1080 reviews today.

below are video encoding/decoding specs

img387.jpg
    638 x 507 - 61K
  • I'm running GTX 970 right now with 2 4K monitors. How significant of an upgrade would it be to go from the 970 to 1070?

• Pretty impressive performance over the GTX980/980TI... http://www.anandtech.com/show/10326/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-preview/2

They have something common with cameras.

img430.jpg
    772 x 456 - 43K
  • AMD is lagging.

If not game consoles they could be dead already.

• Both Intel and nVidia have good reason not to let AMD die - they'd have serious anti-trust cases against them if there was no competitor anymore. An AMD that is just "lagging behind" a little bit is exactly what Intel and nVidia need.

• they'd have serious anti-trust cases against them

What is exactly "serious anti-trust case" in capitalism? Like Microsoft had? Tail that wags the dog?

• These appear to be really fantastic cards but nvidia charging an extra $100 for the lame "founders edition" aka early adopter tax, is bullshit.

• but nvidia charging an extra $100 for the lame "founders edition" aka early adopter tax, is bullshit.

Everything in capitalism sells for profit, and not just profit, but maximally possible profit.

• This one is easy if you don't want to pay top dollar just wait. Your best prices will come later just like with cameras.

• With top CPUs and GPUs such approach works worse each year. Discounts will be present, but small, and usually more than 6 months after introduction.

• I don't disagree. That being said it's what the market will bare. As long as the strategy works and people have and are eager to throw there money at them it will not change. I hope there are not to many willing participants those of us with more modest expendable cash must prudently wait : )

• Anyone already got 1080? Interesting how much better it is in Davinci.

• About 33% faster than 980ti but only after I removed other pci card, intensity pro 4K.

• @Jspatz

In what aspects if Davinci it is important?

For example, if you have just few nodes with color grading (global and attached to areas), will it help?

• Generally, playback less than full would be improved as well as render operations. For example, a clip with looks cosmo applied used to render at 3.5-4 fps now goes 4.5-5. Threshhold smooth playback might become totally smoothe. All operations in the standard candle benchmark are faster. You could live without it if you already have a 980ti or titan but it is nice to have. It seems to suck up every last bit of PCI bus bandwidth on my x79.

• @Jspatz Where did you order yours seems to be sold out..

• Microcenter was getting in a few each day. You had to go there and ask.

• Got the 1980 MSI Gaming X today. Great for Multicam editing in Premiere