Personal View site logo
Why not increase shutter speed? Why use NDs? (Seriously)
  • 120 Replies sorted by
  • I respect everyone's opinion, but:

Our brain percussive motion and flicker up to 90 fps or so. That's why 100-120 Hz is ideal in removing all unwanted flicker in our vision.

24 fps was chosen because of the 48 Khz audio sampling rate. They were thinking of using 48 fps but were technically limited by the technology of that time. This dos not mean that 24 fps has no magic in it, yes it has 100 years of great productions and we are accustomed to that look. I personalty love it in 2D films but I hate it in 3D. I think from 4K and beyond this whole thing will change and especially for 3D, the higher frame rates do indeed help make the immersion more real. I've watched the Hobbit 3D in both 24p cinemas and one projection in 48 fps (I loved the 48 fps image!). Of course it's debatable (like everything else) but in the end who cares. What I like others may not and vice versa.

I personally use the 180 degree shutter rule only when specially asked for and none of our clients were ever unsatisfied in this regard.

• There is a fundamental difference between the real physical rotating shutter disc and an electronical on/off switch - thats why it is so hard to reproduce the look of analog movie cameras with our (cheap) digital cameras.

The boarder between the closed part of the shutter disc and the opening sweeps over the frame, making a soft transition between "on" and "off". The result is an emphasis on the picture right in the middle of the open part of the shutter.

Electronic shutters weight all incoming light between "off" and the next "off" evenly, which makes strobing (much) more apparent.

The only pure electronical solution would be to record with much higher frame rate (and higher shutter speed), eg. 240fps or more, and than add every 10 frames together using a weight function for 24fps output.

• sometimes a facepalm just isn't sufficient enough to express how utterly exasperated I am at the level of "durrrrr' there is in the world today. I used to cheer and laud the democratization of film technology - Making high quality tools available to the masses... now I'm kinda with banksy on this one.

"I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore." -Banksy

• sometimes a facepalm just isn't sufficient enough to express how utterly exasperated I am at the level of "durrrrr' there is in the world today.

LOL.

@shian - just post more and level of knowledge will rise and people reading will also catch something useful.

• @shian Lulz!

Think I might drill some holes in my Leicas to let some more light in.

• "24 fps was chosen because of the 48 Khz audio sampling rate." Sometimes I would like to drill holes in people's heads to let some light in.

• @caveport

But at least theory has some parts of logic in this. As 48/24=2. :-)

Btw many people have very strange theories about 48Khz origins and why it is used in video recording frequently.

• In the days of silent films, a standardized frame rate was not so critical and indeed the frame rate varied between movies, with 16 fps or so being the most common. But then movie theaters started projecting films at a faster frame rate to fit in more showings, and in turn, directors started shooting movies at a faster frame rate to compensate for this speedup.

By the time work on adding sound to movies really got serious, the average film projection speed in theaters was between 20 to 26 frames per second. And so 24 fps seemed like a reasonable middle ground, and was adopted for the Vitaphone system used for the Jazz Singer and later for other film sound systems.

Worth a read for the full history: https://web.archive.org/web/20110724032550/http://www.cinemaweb.com/silentfilm/bookshelf/18_kb_2.htm

Obviously the 48kHz sampling rate for digital audio didn't come around until much later. Unlike the 24 fps film speed standard (which was somewhat arbitrary), the 48kHz sampling rate decision was driven by various technical reasons and the need to accommodate television frame rates (50 and 60) in addition to the 24 fps film rate: http://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/0004/digital-audio-sample-rates-the-48-khz-question/184354

• • 90º (for staccato - Saving Private Ryan style - which I actually wish was used in fast action situations instead of 180º because of some blur logic), lots of fast action in current 'super hero' films (most probably not on VK's safe list) stick to 180º regardless of the fact that everything on the screen is just one giant shade of grey.

• 180º normal, fluid motion

• 360º if you are in a super super super super super dark environment and want to make it look super super motion blured, (that bar scene in that Tom Cruise film...)

I have always been sceptical of adding motion blur... but most probably one day everything will be reconstructed anyway, ala- light field. But for now... do a test and decide what you like, maybe that effect looks good to you?

• How does shutter angle reffers to rolling shutter? Is there a connection, and what is the right way to make CMOS respond to exposure like film in order to eliminate jello? I tend to adjust exposure with shutter angle (single camera on a one time only event) cause there are no other options (ISO and F stop to some degree but not enough), I know its "heresy" but thats the only available option!

• @Brig

• Rolling shutter is an negative byproduct of sensor design and physics of current tech in 2016

• Shutter angle is simply the amount of time the electronic shutter is kept open.

No connection whatsoever.

You can have sensors that don't roll, they are called Global Sensors, but take a hit in Dynamic Range, possibly ISO, and possibly noise. This is not due to physical pixel sizes on sensor - rather the way in which the sensor data is read out, and buffered.

• Shutter angle is simply the amount of time the electronic shutter is kept open.

Shutter angle comes from film cameras shutter.

Terms is just used still.

• So we measure the time the electronic shutter is kept open as a function of the frame rate and degrees.

at 25p, 180º shutter is 1/50th of a second.

• Regardless of where it comes from we still need a method of describing how long the electronic shutter is kept open for.

What is nice about degrees is that it describes the length of exposure as a function of frame rate. If I were to set 25p and 180° shutter the exposure would be 1/50th sec. And if I were to set 50p and 180° shutter exposure would be 1/100th sec. So easier to work with, at least for normal frame rates: 24, 25, 30. 48, 50, 60 as frame rate and playback rate tend to have a life of their own...

Even with 180° shutter anything over 48 is described as 'video like' (whatever that means). Just something to considers. Personally we should be aiming towards 'life like' which is more of everything quite frankly.

Degrees are as good as anything man made. Maybe we should use radians? :-D. We also all count up in 10's (base 10) because we have 10 fingers! (Don't tell that to Sumerians- they had base 12- and invented degrees)

What is great about VK's example is that you can clearly see that the shutter is closed for half of the frame, (kind of)

• @alcomposer

We do not need to describe anything. All we need is shutter speed. No angles or such. And put all PAL/NTSC and such relics in same bin.

• Degrees are shutter speed.

Besides shutter speed of 1/50 is still describing shutter speed. There is no difference. Simply communication.

• Actually I think we shouldn't use shutter speed and simply do:

• Half shutter
    • Quarter shutter
    • Whole shutter

(This is joke)

But I do agree with pal and ntsc bin!

• PAL & NTSC are just colour subcarrier encoding methods for ensuring compatibility between older B&W TV sets and the newer colour sets when colour was introduced. Not relevant to frame rate or shutter speed. The big issue is lack of global frame rate standards for broadcast and media distribution. The USA still use 30fps Europe & Australia etc. use 25fps. Neither frame rate is good for smooth motion playback as modern flat panel displays do not display interlacing the way it was intended on CRT monitors. In an ideal world, 48fps or 72fps as a global standard would eliminate a lot of display issues and simplify a lot of distribution problems. It's unlikely to happen due to the money not being available in a declining market. Also in my (many years) experience, new technology does not make the old stuff go away, it just adds more stuff to the top of the 'compost heap' of decaying technology. As an example, film is still with us even though modern digital world is solidly entrenched.

• The USA still use 30fps Europe & Australia etc. use 25fps. Neither frame rate is good for smooth motion playback as modern flat panel displays do not display interlacing the way it was intended on CRT monitors.

Interlaced 'was' the CRT standard. 50p and 60p would be as smooth on progressive screen as interlaced was on CRT.

In an ideal world, 48fps or 72fps as a global standard

I thought Peter Jackson invented the usage of 48fps? It was chosen so that non-compliant cinemas could easily play back 24fps versions of The Hobit.

Maybe a new standard would be nice to embrace? Then again modern displays can playback at many different frequencies, (if you set the HDMI to use correct frame rate of source material).

• True story, "I used 1/50 shutter speed (in Europe) and the client a Martial Arts Instructor was like, 'what is this fuzziness I want crisp frames to show the correct posture and explain mistakes.'"

Maybe its time to move on, personally I try to stick to multiples of the framerate.

• 45º? Steven must be a crazy man! Love it! Can't stand the motion blur on action films these days, its like they have forgotten that film making is an art-form, not a production factory for never ending Super Hero films. ;-P

• @libertas. That makes sense to me. In a how-to video I'd want that "live" sportcast look too. Easier to analyze moviement though at some expense of perceived aesthetics.

• Man this thread is all over the place :-)

It seems pretty obvious to me that the 180º rule is a solid guideline. A rule that one can choose to stray away from but generally should not.

I vote that this thread should keep going as it is very entertaining :-)