Personal View site logo
gimbal help
  • I got a rally ill be goin to be filming in may for a week, I want to buy a DJI ronin but If i dont have enough by then Im thinking bout either renting a Ronin or just buying a smaller gimbal like a nebula or somthing. what would you guys do?

$237 for 10 days for a ronin, or a smaller one for under $1000 Paid.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • The Ronin is obnoxiously heavy and total overkill for anything in the DSLR class. Also, keep in mind that you'll most likely want / need some sort of gimbal support system like an easyrig or something similar for long takes. Even a mirrorless cam on a smaller gimbal wears you out after 20 minutes. I've used a few different models with cams ranging from GH4, A7S to FS700 and RED. My advice, is to get the smallest gimbal you can that will support the largest cam you plan to shoot with. And try to get something with encoders on the motors. Way smoother and much more stable compared to the older 8-bit and even more recent 32-bit systems. And if you haven't used one before, plan on getting some practice balancing the setup as well as running around with one before the shoot.

• like a beholder or a nebula 4000?

• Have no personal experience with either of those two. I'm not really a fan of the those upright-style single grip gimbals. They seem to work ok. But tougher to get low angle shots. Just personal preference though. YMMV. But assuming you're needing to fly smaller cams (i.e. DSLR size weights). If so, then I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.came-tv.com/cameargo-3-axis-gimbal-camera-32bit-boards-with-encoders-p-778.html?zenid=irb14a5bckdcrv5g0i3r11k4n7

Ronin M knockoff I think. But with encoders and built in 5.8 wireless video transmitter. Pretty sweet for the money. I've had the chance to try 2 of their other gimbals with the same motors and controller and they just worked.

• @filthy

Note that PV have both Mini 3 and Argo for reviews

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/214082#Comment_214082

Argo weight quite more

Check turntable videos with some specs

• hmm the mini 3 is supposed to start shipping today for $1188

mini 1 $688 mini 2 $1088 Soldout mini 3 $1188

I like those looks like a good deal.

• ok cool, what do u recommend between those 3? ill be mostly using a 14-140mm kit lens and a 25mm1.7 lumix, and possibly a 17mm 1.8 olympus

• I highly suggest the Ronin M. I bought a Turbo Ace gimbal (one of the allegedly better foreign knockoff gimbals), which arrived broken, and remained broken until I retuned it two weeks later. Even getting it properly returned was like pulling teeth. Versus the Ronin, it's night and day. No need for a computer to retune it, just do it on your phone and it can tune itself (something you have to do when you re-balance it, and even when conditions change like temp or humidity). It is very light weight and more than handles the average DSLR setup.

• Yeah all i need it for is a gh4 and a few small lenses, cant decide between the ronin and the came tv mini. guess i mise well go with ronin for the extra $300 ? right?

• cant decide between the ronin and the came tv mini. guess i mise well go with ronin for the extra $300 ? right?

Mini 3 is better than Ronin. Better reverse mode, better overall set.

No need for a computer to retune it, just do it on your phone and it can tune itself (something you have to do when you re-balance it, and even when conditions change like temp or humidity).

Usually gimbals with encoders do not need any PID tuning due to temp or humidity. They work ok even with higher and lower weight of camera (due to different lenses).

Balancing is not same as tuning gimbal parameters.

• All I know is, I can have the gimbal perfectly balanced (passive), and do a "calibrate center" and an "auto-tune stability" via my smartphone in one location (say in a warm sunlit lobby), and then when I get into (say an air-con blasted banquet hall), and I have to at least re-do the auto-tune stability, if not the calibrate as well. In all my experience, these things are NOT tune at home and play all day. I'll take a quick and dirty automatic adjustment via my smartphone over having to plug into a laptop any day, but that's just me. I've found the Ronin to be pretty idiot-proof and well built. Which for doing actual work for paid monies is very important. If I'd been whipping out a laptop on these event videography jobs and wasting time fiddling with the gimbal, I would not have been asked back.

• If I'd been whipping out a laptop on these event videography jobs and wasting time fiddling with the gimbal, I would not have been asked back.

You can always use tiny windows tablet if you want.

Yet I am all for adding Bluetooth module to all gimbals, so existing smartphone apps can be used for any CAME gimbals.

Ronin uses completely different firmware and algorithms, as far as I know mostly due good addition to margins and they could not use many approaches to avoid copyright issues.

• @B3Guy

CAME told that very soon their gimbals will have Bluetooth added.

• I dont know If I should Buy a ronin M or jus rent one for about $300 for 5 days for this upcoming rally, any advice?

Id have to be able to mount my rode vmp , monitor ie galaxys6 or ipad. so thatl cost extra to buy mounts.

ill be using it with my 14-140mm and my 25mm 1.7

• what would u guys do? Rent a gimbal dji or a sigma 18-35mm with speedbooster?

• or should I get a 12mm 2.0 lens?

• is there any place to rent a PilotFly Gimbal or a Beholder? I like those and i think it will work perfect.