Personal View site logo
NAB 2016
  • Registration codes (allow you to get to NAB for free)

• LV5685 (CAME-TV)
    • LV4362 (Lectrosonics)
    • LV8384 (Sound Devices)
    • LV2582 (Convergent Design)
  • 95 Replies sorted by
  • Sphericam 4K 60fps RAW Virtual Reality 360 Camera at NAB 2016!

• @alcomposer

I think we went highly offtopic.

• I do know your philosophies on this matter. Yet sometimes science doesn't notice simple trends. Look at high fat hypothesis, science can be inverted to suit ruling class beliefs.

Unfortunately people can use less if we are more resourceful, and people get more resourceful when we do less, and most of the time playing on your smart phone allows you to do less of everything.

It may not seem like allot- but a smart phone takes less power to run than a TV, or a Cinema.

People also use Facebook as photo albums, no printing of photos is needed.

Smart phones even allow taxi companies like Uber to take over massive public transport and displace millions of taxi drivers... Such power...

Unfortunately we have reached the limit of human energy engagement. Things will only get more efficient (which is a bad thing- because if energy is your currency how do you value things any more?)

Remember what happened to IBM programmers - they were paid per kLOCs, the more you wrote the more you were paid.

Now the "better- more efficient" (faster / better) you write the more you are paid. Different currency of value.

Anyway - I am only writing here in the NAB thread to express my deep annoyance that the GH5 wasn't brought out. I do hope it is because they have decided to re-design an amazing camera. Or even do something crazy like do a Varicam lite GH5.

• I have been thinking that due to technology, we are actually becoming more resourceful, using less tools (only smart phone for example) so we are starting to reduce entropy.

Science thinks opposite, and I agree

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8657/technical-progress-is-needed-to-allow-us-to-produce-more-entropy/p1

• Eventually everything will 'die out', just matter of time :-)

But I do think that because of smart phones, cameras have to be much better than they are. This is some soft of digital apocalypse we are seeing now.

I have been thinking that due to technology, we are actually becoming more resourceful, using less tools (only smart phone for example) so we are starting to reduce entropy.

So in order to be successful as a product you have to do what smart phones can't. Hard task.

• @alcomposer

Nothing will die out.

Smartphones will try to use multiple sensors, but this requires new computational sensors without any usual optics to be viable in mass market.

Camera is not smartphone, so it can't be better. It is different tool.

If you try to make comb from shovel this can happen:

img230.jpg
    521 x 377 - 30K
  • Camera makers have to make a camera that is not only a 'little bit better' than smart phone, but 'remarkably' better than smart phone if camera form factor is to sell now.

Either that or smart phones die out due to further miniaturisation and new virtual assistant technology.

• Sony must be doing very well however.

Sony is doing bad in mobile. Last Sony top dual focus mobile sensor was designed by Samsung (who also made it on his own factories). Factories are hit.

If Sony Semiconductor will have issues all Sony big sensors glory can fade in a month. Same can happen if any new sane manager will come to Samsung.

One of the theories is that cameras sensors teams had been all transferred to mobile sensors to try to kill Sony division and later move them back to big cameras (as this market is tiny).

• Sony must be doing very well however. The A7 has been their 5Dmk2. We really need a shake up in this area again, maybe this time delivering what people need (without having to stick lots of things on your camera to make it work).

There 'is' a market there, but maybe not a traditional camera market. Personally I just wish the A7 line was as easy to use (or easier) as the GH4... :-0

• Dave has almost converted me to Sony land,... seriously quiet NAB. Are companies loosing interest in NAB as being a launching pad?

Situation on camera market and all related markets is bad. As I know. Most companies keep it to themselves do not spread this.

• Dave has almost converted me to Sony land,... seriously quiet NAB. Are companies loosing interest in NAB as being a launching pad? Following Apple looks like.

• one more image of that evf

Screen-shot-2016-04-21-at-11.25.55-PM.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 420K
  • new 3.5 monitor/evf with 4k support

• Sound Devices PIX

• so when we see blackmagic cameras price drops at nab? or it was just april rumor?

• @OzNimbus

The feeling I'm getting and from those I'm talking with, as one vendor put it ... "last year we were sellling big Buzz Words! ... this year we're providing workable solutions."

There were so many announcements of this cool tool, that new toy, this new codec, and ... very little actually worked off the bat. There WILL be a ton of announcements between Photokina this fall and CES 2017 in January. The Panny forum will probably find some of them particularly of interest ... ahem. But many gear-makers are working on their next products, AFTER getting their current ones working with everything else that's new.

Neil