Personal View site logo
Sony A6300 4K 100mbit 14 stops DR little monster, official topic
  • 507 Replies sorted by
  • thanks @Manu4Vendetta for post this youtube video.

I like the results, I remember that this kind of dynamic range in the scene with the computer in the table and the window could only be achieved using magic lantern hdr video with 5 fstops difference in exposures.

Maybe it will have issues due to 8bit grading but for a consumer camera this is very good. Can help very much for people who do web videos for vimeo and youtube.

Maybe someday a new consumer camera will record slog3 10bit 4k internally, I think this will happens due to bluray 4k.

• imho slog2/3 on a 100/50mbps basis is mostly marketing as manufacturers nowadays cannot afford to introduce a camera without slog feature. It's not suitable for professional purpose. From my experience of the a6000 you get great results with a flat standard profile (-3, -3, -3) which gives you a little headroom for post. Nail your exposure and settings close to what you want to see in you final image and it will be great. 8bit and wide dynamic range is a contradiction by itself.

• Yes, even in this clip with a very mild application of LGG and contrast I immediately noticed the chunky compression and noise in the sky. Looks like slog2 is probably a better choice.

• I also downloaded one of the hotel S log 3 originals, this one with a lot of blue sky, put it in Sony catalyst Browse, where it was recognized as S log 3, and applied the official Sony REC709 Lut. The resulting video contained a conspicuous large band of blocky chroma and luma noise in the blue sky. It was horrible. No pixel peeping needed. The colors were fine, but this was totally unacceptable.

The camera outputs 4:2:2 uncompressed, but at 8-bit, same as the A7x II series and the RX100 IV and RX10 II.

• I'm a bit concerned this is aggravated by the fact that such a wide DR is squeezed into 8 bits. A mix of banding, noise and compression, probably. Plus, 100 mbps is not much for 4K. Would be a great camera if at least the output would be 10 bit 422. But not from Sony, who need to protect their higher priced models.

• Im a little concerned about the level of noise even after grading with slog3 at 800 iso. This is a 100% crop on 4k from vimeo footage after simply applying an slog3 to rec709 lut in davinci. Pretty bad luma noise, and some chroma splotching, check out the water. Wasnt expecting this. I do believe this shot was a bit underexposed, so hopefully thats all it is. Love the colors though.

( @Vitaliy_Kiselev can you remove the .bmp attachment? )

A6300_Slog3Noise.bmp
    1059 x 595 - 2M
    A6300_Slog3Noise.jpg
    1059 x 595 - 223K
  • someone could download the cameralabs original slog2 and slog3 videos and apply the default sony luts and upload the results...

• low light, hand held

• @Manu4Vendetta, yes i know what you mean. But on paper the specs are more impressive. More dynamic range, better Af, bigger sensor, better low light.

But I too didn't see a video yet that really impressed me. Maybe I don't gonne sell my a7s yet (for video). For pictures I probably gonne use the A6300 (with nice AF with my canon lenses)

• AF demonstration, settings explained

• I grabbed one of the log3 files available out there (here to be precise

) , applied one of the Resolve default LUTs (third one in the list because the other two clipped some detail) and was very impressed. Give it a go!

• Yes, very flat. But I dont seen any convincing video about the final result that can be obtained with the A6300 as a serious option respect to the GH4.

• The sony is very flat so seems. Good. Thanks for sharing.

• I just ordered a 6300. Probably gonne sell my a7s (don't know why to keep it. Yes, Full frame and better iso. But a6300 has 4k, better af, slog3,...) And i probably get more money for my a7s than a new 6300+kitlens (17-50. I wanted that lans because it's zo little. Handy when i'm go on a holiday. I use it like a compact cam). And the a6300 is more than good enough for my work. (if it is high budget i hire a cam)

• So shake, but we can appreciate the look at night.

• @Scot it could also be levels issue in the editor where he forgot to bring down the whites from 109 to 100.

• sorry but I would not that call "grading" ;-)

• Now with grading.