Personal View site logo
GH2 - 2016
  • 65 Replies sorted by
  • I'm still using my GH2, I love its rugged look. I'm using Driftwood Cluster v6_6GOP "Nebular". I actually would love to hear about another hack if you guys think is better. Here are some work I shot with the GH2 with voigtlander 25mm f0.95:

• One of the Rode 2016 finalists used a Panasonic GH2:

http://www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/2564

• All shots on GH2 except one with the GF6 (2016, no budget). Thinking about a G7, presently.

• I made this video using GH2 in 2016.GH2 is still enough for me.

• Gh2 still rocks for 2016.

• Bought a GH2 a month ago, 240€ with Kit lenses in mind condition and I don't regret a single cent. ^^Love this camera vibe.

• I use the GH4 almost exclusively now, with my GH2 as a B cam, but honestly, if the GH2 had focus peaking, I'd use it a lot more. But as someone else mentioned, the screen and EVF (which weren't bad at the time, but were never great) is hard to judge critical focus on if you're manually focusing. I end up building it up with a monitor when I use it as my B cam.

• I have multiple GH2s and and a G6 and and a GX7, I prefer the G6 and GX7 for photos but hacked GH2 for videos.

• I have heard a rumor that Leica X1 or is it X2 and Lumix GH2 use same type of sensor, a Philip sensor. Is that true?

I have used my new used Lumix GH2 to shoot photos for the last couple of days. I must say, I realy like the result of GH2. I have a GM1 and a GX7 they give sharper result but I prefer to the softer GH2. Somebody else choose GH2 before GM1 and GX7 to shoot photo?

• I have heard a rumor that Leica X1 or is it X2 and Lumix GH2 use same type of sensor, a Philip sensor. Is that true?

I have used my new used Lumix GH2 to shoot photos for the last couple of days. I must say, I realy like the result of GH2. I have a GM1 and a GX7 they give sharper result but I prefer to the softer GH2. Somebody else choose GH2 before GM1 and GX7 to shoot photo?

• At this point GH2 will remain a legend ;)

• There are obviously better choices now, but anyone who says you can't still shoot very competitive video with a GH2 in 2016 is either full of shit, or they suck.

• If you not a Pro

GH2 still OK

as camera

and video cam

• I bought a used Lumix GH2 if somebody wonder. I paid 200$ for the GH2 and Lumix lens 014045

• I think the GH2 still provides the best option there is at its price point.

To get better you'd have to spend more, I reckon the next small step up the ladder in terms of cost would be a second hand Nikon D5200 / Sony A5100 / Panasonic G6. (and of course heaps and heaps of options at even higher price points: GH4/NX1/G7/A7s/URSA/A6300/F3/etc etc... sky is the limit!)

Any of these would be a "better" camera than a GH2, but they all come at an increased cost, and they all come with their own different mix of pros/cons vs a GH2. For instance a very brief list of some cons of each vs a GH2:

D5200) doesn't have a mirrorless mount or EVF

G6) no live HDMI out

A5100) overheats

I wrote an intro gear guide for the GH2 recently: http://ironfilm.co.nz/a-priced-out-gear-kit-for-a-newbie-to-filmmaking-using-the-panasonic-gh2/

In brief I could strongly recommend to a filmmaker starting out to get a Panasonic GH2 with a video monopod and the Aputure FineHD VS-2 monitor (as for only US$279 you get a 7" 1920x1200 high resolution screen with focus peaking in different colours, false colour for exposure, histogram, zebras and audio level meters. AMAZING VALUE! There was nothing like this when the GH2 first shipped) plus a RJ Lens Turbo with these lenses (all in Nikon F mount):

Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 (or the cheaper 11-16mm), Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D, Nikon 85mm f/1.8D, Vivitar 135mm f/2.8, Vivitar 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5

All these lenses provide incredibly good value for money (even the Sigma! Which is by far the priciest lens out of this selection), and would be relevant for a long long time.

This would stand a person well for the future too. As nobody will be using a GH2 to its full potential in their first year of filmmaking (or second, or third...). But when they do decide to upgrade in the future (such as to a GH5/BMMMC/D5/A6300/NX1/whatever) then it will be easy swap out of the GH2 for whatever else they get and they can carry on using the monitor and the lenses.

Also if you decide to take up photography seriously you can easily pick up for cheap a Nikon D90 or D7000 to use with these lenses and to take great pics.

• Thanks to everybody for all advice.

Now, I am sure I have a unhacked GH2. To learn my new used camera takes a while, then I will hack it.

Today I will update again and mark "30 min limit removal" "PAL NTSC menu" "Maximum ISO limit removal" and "All Interface Languages.

Nice video @dlzn

P.S. Yes, my secondhand camera was probobly at first hacked, becouse it had "All Interface Languages" and "PAL NTSC menu" when I first got the camera. I am not 100% but 99% sure, after I made a restore without the hack everything with the menu work perfect. Now I can start from scratch with my wonderful GH2 camera. But as B/W camera my favorite is still my Leica X1 and color camera X2 but as videocam mabe GH2 from now. :) D.S.

• @dlzn. Great work and I really like colour palate. It reminded me of the look of 1970s movies. Would you mind sharing how you graded it?

• A music video shot with gh2 flowmotion 14-42pz and slrmagic 35 1.7

• Read FAQs on this site. They explain how to do the hack.

• You can't see if the cam is hacked or not. But here on this forum there are plenty easy instructions how to hack your GH2. First install PTool on your computer. Then search for a hack on the forum. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2712/ptool-v3.65d-topic/p1 @Pluttiplutt

• If I shall flash the files I must rename the files becuse it will not upgrade when it has the original name, I have alredy tried. What shall i name the files to cheat the camera?

I can backup some ROM files in the service mode to the SD card. I know how to editera a .bin file but are there anything in the original .bin I should be looking for, that confirm it is not hacked or is there anything that confirm it is a hack in this files?