Personal View site logo
Windmotion - upsampling to 4:4:4
  • 263 Replies sorted by
  • You asked for my camera's file in the previous post in order to see what's needed for a camera profile:

"I can add your camera support if you will send me camera files. "

I was just using vimeo as a way to get it to you. There should have been a link, ORIGINAL, for the original 4k file, size 230 mb, under the download button. But vimeo seems to be doing wierd things.

Maybe you can try the direct vimeo link to the file https://player.vimeo.com/external/152054049.source.mp4?s=e822a10a9e4369b5e2d63e4d723419688938435e&profile_id=0&download=1

If there are problems tell me if you have a preferred way to get the file.

• Panasonic G7 (UHD video frame) 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 restoration example. The image contains one color channel look in a difference viewer (Diff/Before/After) (resized to 1080 by the forum software)

You can see in the Diff side some rectangles - it is a H.264 low bitrate artifacts restoration. As you can see, the original channel looks blurred. Some fine details are restored- they are not available in the original frame - it is a result of my temporal restoration algorithms. New details are calculated using 3 frames. Also you can see sharp edges. This is a result of 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 resolution restoration algorithms. As you see, it works correctly on a blurred image.

The whole restoration speed of this UHD video is 0.9 fps on Intel Core I7K 4Ghz. The quality may be better and you can get more details, but the processing time will be increased. This image is a result of the speed/quality balancing optimization. I create this optimization for every camera supported. It is a cause why I asked many camera examples in different lighting/setting conditions.

I intended to make a premium quality solution. So I'm very picky. We can make some garbage, and we can create a really awesome tool to be used by thousands of creative people those expect the highest level of program quality for the money spent and the CPU time.

Restoration420to444.png
    1920 x 1080 - 720K
  • @rean: Is it possible to change contrast and eventually levels (curves) within WindMotion Core? And how?

• @producer, uncomment this line:

#RangeY(a=16, b=255, ao=16, bo=235, g=1.0, bitdepth=OutBitdepth)

It is a levels filter. Here are: a,b - input levels, ao,bo - output levels, g-gamma

For AVCHD use a=16, b=255 (Sony and Panasonic cameras) For Samsung and some Canon use a=0, b=255.

Some Canon require Bt.601 to Bt.709 color matrix conversion to get a Rec.709 output. Use this filter:

#Matrix(from=601, to=OutMatrix, bitdepth=OutBitdepth)

You can also correct a saturation using:

#Saturation(offset=-50, bitdepth=OutBitdepth)

here is offset=0 means no any changes. Try different values.

The Matrix filter allows also color correction, but this feature is not enabled in the default template.

The full Matrix parameters with default values: Matrix(from=601, to=709, rg=1.0, gg=1.0, bg=1.0, a=16, b=235, ao=16, bo=235, bitdepth=8)

Here you can use rg, gg, bg: values. They are RGB gain values. Change also the "from" value to 709 to get Bt.709 colors unchanged.

All filter communications are in 16 bit (processing using floating point 32-bit internally for each filter), so you will get no any quality loss if export 10-bit video.

PS. For complex color correction I recommend a 3D LUT filter. It is included in the Premium edition only, but you can buy it separately (USD $20). You can get any colors you want. The Windmotion editor supports png image save, so you can create this 3D LUT file using exported png file in any supported color corrector (for example, in BMD Fusion).

• how do you output 1080p 444 from 4k 420? I can't find anything in the readme or bat files that explains where to do that.

Thanks.

• @chauncy Post edited (I had wrong previous answer):

8-bit output is possible:

For UHD: ConvertToYV24().Spline64Resize(1920,1080)

For Cinema4K you should also use Crop() filter to get an UHD frame first.

This requires a 8-bit source. So, after noise reduction you can convert 16 bit to 8 and resize the result.

10-bit output is not possible by default code. You can search for a Dither plugin documentation (it is included in Core). Use Resize16 function that requires a stacked input. So, if you write some code, you can get it in 10-bit.

Postproduction and Premium editions are for 4K to 1080p by design.

PS. Your camera is already supported in the current internal build. I fixed also some 4K Samsung issues, for example, banding that gives a "plastic" look. I dont know if this a FFmpeg H.265 issue or Samsung writes that, but I have low level banding in all Samsung camera sources from many users.

• I'd have to see some examples to buy a paid product. I haven't as yet see anything anywhere that really improves image quality with the magical 420 to 444. It seems to me to be math and not real.

I run my nx1 with sharpness at -10 and I wouldn't call the image plastic. I've just ran core and the resulting image is brighter and more saturated with higher contrast. But that's the only difference. The earlier versions didn't do that, but the image improvment in terms of some aliasing improvment and clearer detail in some spots isn't there in new version.

• @chanucy Have some examples. These are some PNG captures of the original 4K25p 100Mbit file from my Panasonic G7, shot at 6400 ISO, and from the processed files using the templates in WindMotion 2.0.3. PP beta. The reduction of noise is very significant. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Z5pBaxWjTIZVFLSUxpZXowZ1k DISCLAIMER: This is a m43 camera, and this was shot with the kit lens, (equiv FF to 24mm F7 (12-42 3.5-5.6))

• @chauncy I will post many examples later when the main program code will get more quality stable. I have many improvements every day. Also I need a license to use videos, because I have no any new camera you use. So I cannot create test videos right now. Probably our beta testers who are currently have an access to the Postproduction edition will publish the first tests soon.

• These three videos gives you the complete understanding of all required knowledge to work with Core, Postproduction and Premium editions. Video language is in Russian.

Also some news. The Windmotion beta 5 now supports Panasonic X900, GH2, GH3, GH4, G7, Samsung NX1, Sony NEX-5, NEX-7, HX20, RX100. More camera models support is coming soon.

• How about 1 minute long video that tells what this tool is all about, how it compares to other similar tools and show sample images in comparison to competitors? I'm not sold. Everything looks so complicated, and even instruction videos are in Russian and they are way too long.

• @tonalt there is no needs in a special intro video, because the program understanding is simple. It is a complete solution for video quality improvement of semi-pro and consumer camcorders and DSLRs on a post-production film phase to use these cameras in a commercial quality films.

There is no known competitors, so this software is unique. There are many video denoisers those make only denoising. But I know no complete solution that can work with all video quality aspects. I know only DaVinci Revival, that costs $10,000. But I have no knowledge how it works. There is a very simple denoiser NeatVideo that can remove some small noise and it costs $100. A Windmotion denoiser is much better, even in the free edition.

The publishing videos are the parts of the 3-hours complete learning course. It is not "so complicated". Many software learning courses are many hours longer. It is required to get a knowledge.

• You might need someone to explain marketing and user friendly to you. Code manipulation, white boards with formulas, russian tutorials.. The science behind how this thing works is uninteresting to most filmmakers. They are not coders. They only want to know how to use it as simply and effectively as possible to increase image quality. Your job is to do the behind the scenes work and provide a clean user interface.

Plus, I mean, seriously, you haven't shown anything, nothing that supports your claims of the effectiveness of this product.

• @chauncy I have just returned back to civilization and will be posting a review and tutorial in proper English. As far as I understand the difference in science lies in the fact, that WindMotion doesn't analize every frame on each own, but also takes data from the preceding and following frames. I do agree, that currently the UI and lack of information present a steep learning curve, but that has not proven to be a problem in my testing.

• @rean That 'simple denoiser' called NeatVideo has some amazing results and is one of the top notch solutions out there. The new version advance further in this. I know Avisynth, know the tools and i used, with good results, but there is no comparisson with NV. Can you dome some test and vs. NeatVideo to really have factual data about Windmotion is better in that particular aspect? (Noise Reduction).

• @heradicattor Can NeatVideo do this?

Some users also posted here about NeatVideo in the first pages. You know AviSynth, but Windmotion is not AviSynth actually. AviSynth is just a core platform used in Windmotion. What about of my code, algorithms and methods? Many invisible for users science does all job. It is a result of my 5 year research and experiments in image, audio and video restoration area. Many AviSynth users do not know most of community unknown methods used in Windmotion algorithms. Many users also do not know how to fix many issues already available in AviSynth plugins. Even mvtools is fixed and adapted to work correctly in Windmotion.

• the denoising looks good. I can't say whether it's any better than neat or the denoiser in resolve, which are both reasonably effective. I need to see the 444 conversion.

• @chauncy I agree with you complete regard marketing things. But you should understand that this is one-user project. And it is just in the development phase. I work 15 hours per day these months and invest all my money in it. The product is not complete.

And it is 100-times complex that any shareware software you can buy. It is a hi-tek science solution and some user knowledge is a required level to get it work in maximal possible quality. I know that most of users cannot even see many image quality issues those can be fixed in Windmotion. Some users speak that image has the same quality, but a difference is in period.

• @domenl - will wait for your review and tutorial

DISCLAIMER: I am no way or form an expert or anything more than an amateur in videography. I have watched the tutorial with YouTube's auto-caption and my weak understanding of the Russian language. This is my first endeavor with AviSynth.

I have done my testing on the 2.0.5 Beta PostProduction version and my Panasonic G7 with the kit lens. I used the standard picture profile with the in-camera sharpening and NR turned to minimal values.

The tutorial video itself is done very well, explaining everything from start to finish. It starts by diving up your footage by the camera model into different folders. Then you copy the files in the "WindMotion Project" folder (the one that gets created in your Windows Video library) to the folders with the camera files. What follows is the "import" of the footage. Here you select the correct/closest preset for your camera (in the "import\$CameraMaker\" folder). After that, you can export your video (by running "Out.bat") immediately, or tune the settings further(via "Edit.bat").

I have spent very little time playing with the options, as my camera is supported by the software. So, onto the fun stuff. Here are some very quick tests, of a very unscientific scene. In the drive folder are both the original 4k25p 100Mbit (.mp4) and the processed (.mov) files. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Z5pBaxWjTIZVFLSUxpZXowZ1k PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE FILES BEFORE WATCHING - The drive viewer has terrible compression

Example 1: 6400 ISO

Example 2: 3200 ISO

Example 3: 200 ISO

Example 4: 800 ISO

I tried putting them side-by-side in one video, but the compression is just too much. I can say that I am very happy with the results, as the 2x crop factor of m43 means that I'm shooting at f8 basically all the time. I have in the past used NeatVideo but have not had any real experience with it, as my PC at the time could not handle it and I gave up on it. All of you are welcome to run my source files trough your software and compare the results.

This was a very quick test so take it with a pinch of salt.

• @domenl I like it. Thanks! Great results for default settings. You can buy a cheap manual lens on ebay and you will get very same results as GH4. I have some real drama film production scenes from GH4 made with pro equipment. The image is very same as your camera - just less noise and a litte more details (because better lens).

Anyone can do any comparison in BlackMagicDesign Fusion A/B view (free node-based software). You can add here a very little film noise grain you like to hide denoise motion artifacts those I see here. And check here color grading, own sharping, etc.

PS. Trim one frame to see exactly comparison.

• Hello. There are many news since last posts. In these weeks I worked a lot. And as a result the Windmotion 2.x development is coming to end. The current version is 2.0.9.beta. After this release I will not add new features. Only template improvements and bug fixes are coming.

So you have a last chance to get the Postproduction edition for free as an active beta tester. I need your testing.

Great features those were added to the program these days:

• High-quality film grain noise emulation filters.
    • Top-quality halo-free radius-dependent sharpening filters. Because these filters are so beautiful, I have removed any previous matrix-based sharpening filters.
    • Top-quality halo-free local contrast filters. You can get a film look now without any third party software. Premium edition users can also apply a color grading theme using cinema film camera emulation LUT files those you can download for free on pro cinema forums.
    • Almost 99.9% of all artifact types of 2002-2015 consumer cameras may be fixed using Windmotion 2.0 latest version. We support 55 cameras now. Also many hundreds of not supported cameras can be used over Generic camera templates. Windmotion supports 320x240, 640x480, TV and DV camera SD sources, HD and Full HD, 4K. Processing speed is from 0.5 fps up to 50 fps on 4-core 4 Ghz Intel i7 processor. Full HD camera processing around 5-10 fps. It is 20 times faster than Windmotion 1.x.
    • Hard tweaking of AviSynth multithreading core and memory usage. I spent many days of researching how to speedup the processing. And now Windmotion is twice faster than the first beta versions. Also it is more stable now.
    • Some high quality 8 and 16-bit denoise filters were added to create artifact-free frequency-based denoise. So, currently we have all features of Windmotion 1.x denoising, also a banding-free 16-bit processing improvement.
    • Quality of the default motion-compensated denoiser is improved a lot. We have additional quality control features to get less "moving noise" artifacts and get more details.
    • Windmotion web site is fully redesigned to get a clear look.

Also a limited time prepaid offer will end soon. Please support my work and get Windmotion 2 the first. Your money will be spent on improving the documentation and the creation of examples, including training films and use cases. I would like to create a camera artifact encyclopedia and publish the methods on how to fix them (with detailed examples). This project requires many time resources.

• @rean What do I need to be a tester?

• @Manicd download Core edition. Test it in your environment with your videos and NLE. If you will be active, you will get access to private paid editions testing. Please send any reports (successfully or issues) to PM or by contact form.

• I have just done a very brief test with a pretty terrible scenario (ISO6400 and DR 5) on a sony A5100 and I am quite impressed. The original footage was horrible and windmotion did get rid of a lot of the noise (of course, I cannot solve the horrible blotchiness that sony has baked in from their own noise reduction). Kudos to you. If you want files to do a profile, let me know.