Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Can someone comment on the bluetooth range, from the manual (p. 159):
    "The smart phone must be within 23 ft (7 m) of the camera to use this feature"
    I'm sorry but 7 m hardly seems "remote control" to me.

• @sidi

It is Bluetooth standard limitations. Want very big range - buy wi-fi repeater and use smartphone.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    I'm pretty sure standard limitations are 10 and 100 m for BT, besides I've got enough gear to haul around while outdoor filming.
    I'm planning to use smartphone but prefer to use BT if possible. I would be happy with 10-15 m.
    How bad is battery drain on wi-fi?

• Now we know where all resources went

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

You are probably not serious, but still, for all the people complaining about Samsung doing other things and not allocating funds for their camera department, most likely all these project are not even remotely related, why? Because Samsung is way beyond what most people could ever imagine it to be:

• Of course, it is usual Korean chaebol.

• I can't help but think that if Samsung had removed the recording time limit, included H264 based compression, and also produced something like the Panny 20mm lens, they would have sold those cams by the truckload.

• they have a good panckake already, the 30mm f2

• @Adam_Mercier

They even have fish eye pancake also and few others:-)

As for all this complains, just go and buy NX1 on sale, it'll be useful tool for long long years to come.

• Commenting on the decision, a spokesperson for Samsung told ePHOTOzine: "We quickly adapt to market needs and demands. In the UK, we have seen a gradual and sustained decline in demand for standalone digital cameras and camcorders and related accessories. For this reason, we have taken the decision to phase out the sales and marketing of these products. This is a local decision, based on local market conditions."

• "As for all this complains, just go and buy NX1 on sale, it'll be useful tool for long long years to come."

I'm all in. Got it and two s lens for 40% off retail. Camera stores seem to want it gone. I think it's a powerhouse.

• @chauncy

Another huge plus is that you could collect lenses in big discounts already and more soon.

• Samsung cameras were a no-show at CES in Vegas. I have spoken with a friend who has a direct contact to somebody at Samsung. Rumor has it that the camera department has now been integrated into the medical equipment/healthcare section. His advise was to watch for signs at CES. If there was no new camera announced it would be the confirmation that there will be no new cameras coming out in the foreseeable future. So let's grab a few more lenses as they get discounted and keep shooting this marvelous camera for a few years to come... http://petapixel.com/2016/01/08/samsung-cameras-are-a-no-show-at-ces-2016-looks-like-the-end-is-nigh/

• Rumor has it that the camera department has now been integrated into the medical equipment/healthcare section

They did quite similar things with their phones and TVs firmware developers from time to time as far as I know.
    Their management is widely known for absurd moves.

• AP: Before Christmas, there was much press speculation that Nikon had bought Samsung’s NX camera business. Are you able to give us a reaction to the many media reports about this?

DJ: As you learn from the media and also from official feedback that was a hoax. There was never anybody really talking about it.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/interview-dirk-jesper-of-nikon-2015-wasnt-a-quiet-year-for-us-67586

• "I can't help but think that if Samsung had removed the recording time limit"

Thought they brought about firmware so that it automatically restarts after 30 minutes? Which seems like a handy way to both avoid the stupid dumb tax restrictions, but also allows you to run for "unlimited" length.

• Just tried the 30min limit on the NX1, with the 1.40 firmware (the latest as far as I know), it simply stops recording after reaching the 30 minutes.

Also, has anybody tested the best settings to achieve maximum dynamic range?

• Just tried the 30min limit on the NX1, with the 1.40 firmware (the latest as far as I know), it simply stops recording after reaching the 30 minutes.

This would make it a near perfect camera for me (no crop in 4K and 1080). Hopefully someone will eventually hack the FW but I'm not holding my breath.

• Rooting the NX1 and NX500 would be amazing, I bet we could push the quality years ahead of what the big companies are likely to deliver. Unfortunately this camera doesn't seem to be very popular and very unappreciated, and the community too small.

• For the life of me I can't find a real number.
    How long does NX1 battery lasts while recording 4K/1080p. I'm interested in moreless continuous recording (manually starting recording every 29:59).
    For GH4 it is about 4 hours, G7 1:40/1:50. I've only found estimated time of 3 hours.
    So how long can NX1 record on single battery?
    I am aware of its capability to use USB power bank, this is actually the reason for my question (power bank capacity estimation with DC/DC conversion loss).

• You can get a battery grip fro the NX1 as well

"ND Throttle for NX1 now available."

Great news! A focal reducer would be the best adapter to see happen, but this is the next best news.