Personal View site logo
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • @Aria Thank you.. Yeah the 4K really shines in this video. Yep there are a couple things that could of been done better specifically what you said, we didn't really have a budget & we were press for time to put it out because the song been on rotation with DJ's. Yeah the super wide shots were very hard because 1) we had almost no sunlight soo had to up the ISO I believe it was @ 1250 and should of used a longer focal lens to get a little bit of blurriness in the background Now I really know the pitfalls of the 50D. All shots were color graded in Davinci Resolve 10, wanted to give it different pallets so every scene could have it's own look, but still make it intercut well. Color Process was basic first adjusted the color temp than put it on BMD Film mode, applied a temporary LUT in that case the BMD LUT, or the Arri LUT would work as well.. than balanced the whole shot black to true blacks than whites to true whites & also the mids. Took out the LUT than adjusted highlights mids, and shadows.. some saturation a couple keys here and there and voila.. but my little secret for the shadows is to crush them than on the curves panel click on the second circle and soft clip the shadows it gives you that milky look and a more filmic look. Hope that helps if you need more info about the grading process please let me know I'll gladly share more.

• Here's a VFX Breakdown of the Music Video we directed for Beat Assailant. Magic Lantern was tremendously helpful for keying and all VFX work.

• Shot this ad on 5D3 RAW!

• @TrackZillas @roberGL @OzNimbus @Aria @thepalalias @muddmanrich @pinger007 @artiswar @roccoforte etc anybody still using the 50D as we go into 2016, & how do you get around its lack of audio recording or do you just only use it on jobs where that doesn't matter??

Additionally, CF Cards have dropped heaps since early 2013. Any cheap options to consider now for the 50D?

I'm thinking I'll go with the Komputerbay 128gig 800x cards, which handle a minimum of 75MB/s (as the 50D can't write faster than 70MB/s anyway): http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-128GB-Professional-COMPACT-Extreme/dp/B00ESCR2KM/ http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-PACK-Professional-COMPACT-Extreme/dp/B00D09AH88/

• @IronFilm Not Using the 50D any longer due to it's lack of slowmotion, but I upgraded to a 5D Mark III and using ML RAW on it. Yeah CF Prices Dropped big time. For the 50D I highly recommend getting the Komputerbay 64GB 1000X Cards the 128GB version a bit slower for some odd reason, talking from experience. The 800X depending on the resolution may skip frames hope that helps.

• Yay, just now collected my "new" 50D tonight!! :-D Got it here in my hands. But oops... the seller forgot the charger cable. And I don't have a single CF Card to use with it! (well, I have one on its way.... but thanks to a screw up with NZ Customs it is not here yet)

http://ironfilm.co.nz/does-canon-50d-magic-lantern-raw-make-sense-in-late-2015/

@TrackZillas that is sad to hear about the 128gig cards, as the 64gig cards are not much cheaper yet are half the size!! Surely the Komputerbay 1000X are already so much faster than the max 70MB/s that the 50D can handle that it won't really matter if the 128gig ones are a little slower??

• I don't use Komputerbay cards anymore, the become unreliable as you use it. I now stick to LEXAR CF.

• @IronFilm Congrats Welcome to the ML RAW Club. The 1000X 128gb card is a great card as well but it's just a little slower than the 64gb, but the 1066x 128gb Komputerbay card is by far the fastest card that I know of. @ghostlayer With the Komputerbay cards you just gotta get the right one when it crashes send it back for another one it has a lifetime warranty. I replaced mines once and been using that card for 2+ now no problems with it. You right the best way is LEXAR CF

• Still have my 50D but haven't really played with it much in a while. My intent was to use it not for my day to day jobs but for more artistic videos. I now have the G7 and that will likely dominate my time. It's just so much easier to work with for both day to day work and artistic stuff. It's not RAW, but I think it will give me most of what I want in terms of image.

My Komputerbay card is still working. It's a 32GB. I was able to buy a 128GB PNY card for my G7 for only $38! It's just proving to be a more satisfactory experience cost wise and ease of use. I really like the image of the 50D for close ups but less so for landscapes. You have SOOO MUCH flexibility with RAW. I think you'll love that once you get your file handling down. I used Cinelog to DaVinci Resolve. http://www.cinelogdcp.com/overview-davinci-resolve/

• @Ironfilm I still have mine, but I haven't done much with it.. Unfortunately the 50D seems to more or less an experimental camera with regards to ML.. I think most end up selling it and buying a 5D or going to a 4k camera instead.. A few people are using it for productions however; some Brazilian on youtube uses it for his show - the name of which I forgot.

I took some video with it and wasn't satisfied; lots of noise and a fuzzy image.. granted I used the notorious 18-55 lens and am not much of a photographer/videographer, so my experience is probably something I deserved.. I did however notice some glitches in the image on occasions that would be a real annoyance to work with - pink frames and glitched image frames. Perhaps that is the result of going with crop mode instead of going full-sensor.. I don't know.

My intention before I considering selling it off is to try to use it with super 16mm lenses..

So far my workflow has been to debayer my image sequences with rawtherapee, then convert the 16-bit TIFF sequences to 4444 proRes, using apple motion. That's as far as I've gone with it so far - haha

• @TrackZillas I forgot about the lifetime warranty... Do you have the address? We struggled to shoot a complete music video ("RUN" Beat Assailant) on 5D ML yet now no crew or production want to shot on 5D Raw, as it is unreliable, hard to connect to recorder etc. Even used as B Cam, DoP and camera assistant prefer to rent a Canon 1D C. So I keep 5D Raw for personal tests or projects with zero pressure and not involving any crew. http://www.cjb.tv

• @ghostlayer Yep Lifetime Warranty I'll get the address for ya, but you have to call them first than they will send you a return sticker. Which 5D are you using Mark II, or Mark III? My 5D Mark III with the RAW Hack been extremely stable haven't had any glitches so far.. max resolution no problem, max slomo no problem cards filling-up no problem running 1.1.3 & and specific build. The only thing I would say is when your card fills-up don't try to record if you do the last file will be corrupt.

• @robertGL My 50D didn't produce a fuzzy image, images were very clear and sharp. Noise was definitely a problem.

• @TrackZillas It was probably my uninspired use of the camera.. I need to play with it more. It does take great photos, and the intervalometer mode in ML can result in amazing time-lapse footage.

With that said, I am tempted to sell my camera body because it only has 1.1k shutter actuations and can still fetch a good price. I'd be more apt to use one that's 'broken in'.. Yes I'm out of my mind!

• @robertGL It might be a setting or something.. 1.1K Shutter that's a brand new camera, but prices have gone way way down on them now.

• @TrackZillas I used an old firmware 1.23 in my memory (might be wrong) on 5D MK3 Komputerbay became unstable (stoping after ONE SECOND of recording !) Using LEXAR solved the problem. Yet, again, production companies and rental companies don't want to hear about Magic Lantern. I love it as it bring insane dynamic range and image depht (14 bits Raw DNG) Especially for keying green screen etc.

• The 50D has image issues that can creep up on you. That's why I moved on and saved up for the LUMIX G7! Just less hassle and more reliable. To fully commit to 50D I would need to spend on faster CF Cards and the Mosaic Anti Alias Filter. Just didn't make sense given the reliability still wouldn't be high. With a G7 you pay a little more for the body but get so much more functionality and image quality. Heck I paid just $38 for a 128GB SD for the G7!!!

Plus now I can experiment with my Anamorphic lens more freely on the G7. The 50D was also good with Anamorphic but the issues make it less fun. Maybe I'll do a comparison test when I get a chance.

• @ghostlayer Yeah it definitely was your Komputerbay card. Production, Rental companies have deep relationship with the camera manufactures they won't support anything that's not supported by them. 5D III RAW to me is the best bang for your buck, your right Wide Dynamic Range & 14 bits Color Depth what more can we ask.