Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

And maybe the only company that could fight with Sony in sensor technology - the NX1 sensor is amazing, BSI and with a very high readout speed. And since Sony is holding exclusivity in some of their sensors for months (especially the RX100 IV stacked sensor), it would be very good that another high-tech sensor supplier could be in the market (would love to see a 20mp BSI m4/3 sensor).

• And maybe the only company that could fight with Sony in sensor technology - the NX1 sensor is amazing, BSI and with a very high readout speed.

I think it was main issue.

As I told - before companies just paid for top sensors development from compacts profits, and all cameras shared same LSI (some just used previous years one). Now they can not do it. As compacts market degraded.

• But the most of the bulk income from sensors that Sony have is from smartphone sensors (specially iPhone ones), isn't it? Samsung could use the same way.

• But the most of the bulk income from sensors that Sony have is from smartphone sensors (specially iPhone ones), isn't it? Samsung could use the same way

Sony has huge issues with LSI and it shows in their cameras (as they can not cross finance it).

For big sensors they are now supplier from almost all brands - so they can live with it. And yes, their small sensor developments are also used.

• They could have really had significant market share with a smart release of the NX2. Its a waste really; the new kid who gave up one step too early.

• They could have really had significant market share with a smart release of the NX2

Ideally they could, in reality it is capitalist corporation and all they want is profits.

• I doubt any company would say "there is already much better and upgraded cameras" as basis for their decision to discontinue their flagship camera. If it were true, they'd still find a very non destructive way to announce their decision to discontinue, and it probably wouldnt be an admission of defeat like saying competitors are better, or we have a better offering coming now, so lets scrap all of europes stock. It would definitely sound much more professional than "there is already much better and upgraded cameras".

• I doubt any company would say "there is already much better and upgraded cameras" as basis for their decision to discontinue their flagship camera

Source of this text is unknown. Can be some guy in India who was just tired.

• Yes, exactly.

• I hope this thread does not get too polluted with rumors, unverified news items, gossip and speculation about the demise of the NX1. Meanwhile, it is an incredible video tool. Handheld, using DIS, of action sports:

• So, can we expect firesale for nx500's/nx1's?

• Great. I bought the Sega Dreamcast just before it went bust, now this. Samsung pulls out of Europe, but I hope they stay put here in the U.S. That or they sell the NX1 platform to somebody who knows how to market a product properly.

• I'm not seeing a huge difference in the 4K Video quality from my top cams and the S5 and S6 phones--maybe someone figured out that in a few years there will be no real difference, except really LL.

• Yes I hope Samsung sells the technology of the NX1 to a company that will develop it further. It is too good to be wasted. But, we will wait and see what happens.

• Great. I bought the Sega Dreamcast just before it went bust, now this

Well, I still have Dreamcast and got it after Sega ceased making it :-)

I also do not plan to part with NX lenses, hope for cheap NX1 or such.

• the grammar in the statement makes not believe a word of it.

also what cameras would this statement be referring to? besides the GH4 the only other cameras that are similar to NX1 are A7S!! and A7R!! wheich are considerably more expensive.

• Here is a nice summary of the rumors that puts things in a perspective: http://petapixel.com/2015/11/11/is-samsung-shuttering-its-camera-business/

Nothing new but a good read for those who just found out.

• I did Live Chat with Samsung just now, and a person named Nithin G said they are aware of the rumors circulating on 3rd party sites. Nithin G denied the validity of the rumors, and said the NX1 is not, and will not be discontinued anytime soon.

In the end, it's all a rumor until it's official.

• May be Samsung know that it is better to withdraw. They could become a major camera sensor supplier againts Sony and create more revenue rather than to build and maintain their own camera line up. We never know, don't we?

It takes alot of money to maintain a brand. Although Samsung is a strong brand, Samsung NX camera line up itself is hard to become a brand contender amongs old brands with high brand-awareness in camera category like Nikon, Canon, and Olympus.
  • May be Samsung know that it is better to withdraw.

I suggest to check their laptops withdrawal story. No one asked engineers, local offices, etc. Just few Korean managers meet and you are done.

Check also their Bada and Tizen development history.

I have my own theory, for long time two groups of management make some fight, and big win had been removal of Tizen based phones from smartphones line even before releases. It can be that camera business will be destroyed only to weaken this part even more as cameras had been example that Tizen works perfect. TV business being last stand now, but it can also change in a blink.

• I think this footage I found in You Tube looks excellent!

• Whatever its marketing fate, the NX1 delivers the best in-camera stabilizing for video of any camera. This was shot handheld with two lenses that have no OIS (the 12mm Rokinon and the 45mm NX):

• Samsung Electronics will decrease personnel at its Samsung Seoul R&D Campus by as many as two-thirds in order to restructure its business model and operations, according to a new report from ChosunBiz.