Personal View site logo
The Bali Experiencce
  • Hi Folks, here is my latest film, shot on BMPCC:

Bali - this word evokes a lot of thoughts: the tropical paradise, far away (at least from Austria), very exotic. While all of this is true, what fascinated me even more was that special mood, that atmosphere, "a tropical state of mind".

The Balinese are a very generous, warm people, deeply entrenched in their tradition, which is still incredibly alive. Their style of living, family values, culture - an exceptional experience, which they share with you everywhere, around every corner.

I was thinking a lot how to convey this mood, this relaxed atmosphere and feeling - for me the best way was to have a very slow paced film, showing the exceptional beauty of this little island and their inhabitants.

Therefore, I invite you to immerse yourself into "The Bali Experience". Pump up the volume for the best sound, and let me know what you think, I am very happy to receive feedback!

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/gunmac

Music licenced from TheMusicBed, by Lights and Motion "Profound" and "Utopia", and by Evolv "What an interesting creature". Narration by Peter Baker, peterbakervoiceover.com/

Shot on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with the Metabones Speedbooster and a Sigma 18 - 35mm f1.8 & a Rokinon 85mm T1.5, all in ProRes. Graded in DaVinci Resolve.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I really enjoyed it. Very very well made, thumbs up. Certainly shows the different side of Bali that many are not use to seeing. About the voice-over, did you write down your script before you went there to shoot or after the editing was done?

When writing the script did you insert all the pause and breaks or did you worked with him to get all those figured out?

Lastly I assumed you got the non-broadcast voice-over does that mean he will call his lawyers if for example he sees your work on TV?

• Hi @HillTop1, thank you for that nice comments! I wrote the script after the basic edit was ready. Then I just cut the voice over into pieces and laid them under the film.

Not shure what you mean by your last paragraph - I paid him his rate. You mean that he would charge a different rate once this appears on TV? That would hold true as well for the music I guess.

• Lovely film, my favourite place on earth - the most beautiful people and nice you were there at Galungan and a fun Kecak by the looks of it !

• @GMC ref voice-over rights: Gunther, it depends on how your contract with him was worded. You could acquire rights for all distribution channels or only some (online, TV, film).

• @GMC ref your film: I always enjoy your work, this is the slowest action yet :) The music bed is over the top in places, soaring with no justification, and also too loud. Also the music theme can be debated, it's western music and doesn't impart any oriental flavor to the setting, so there's a mismatch in my eyes/ears in the first third of the film; it works well underwater. The transition to the night ritual is too abrupt visually, I understand the continuity is provided by narration but still. Maybe you could insert a 2sec well-lit medium shot first before moving to the wide unlit shot, it's jarring coming from the day shot.

This is all constructive critique Gunther. I've done documentary and I know the toil that goes into it. I would recut it down to 10min to make it appropriate for TV (you have too many pans/vistas, you need more action and close-ups, look into the B-roll); I would also change (some) of the music bed to fit the location.

• @radikalfilm thank you for that feedback, very interesting for me! On the close ups you are right, I put more wide shots than anything else in there. Music is always a personal choice - I like it ;-) It can for shure be cut down further. Anyway, this is a personal film. If a TV station wants to have it its a different story.

Anyway, nice to hear from you again, Gunther

• @soundgh2 thank you, it seems that you know the place well!