Personal View site logo
Music Video: The Transfiguration of Eugene Wolf
  • I've been working on this project for over a year. Many storyboards, meetings, re-edits, and four separate shoots later, and here it is!

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Why did this take over a year? What occurred to hold up your production?

• Honestly it was all pre-production coordination. Both the band and I knew from the start that we didn't want to half-ass any of it, so there was a lot of back-and-forth to arrive at a plan that we mutually felt would appropriately do the song justice. I did three storyboards. This is art for me. It's my passion.

The project started with Mr. Wolf taking pictures of himself every day for several months as he grew that huge beard. While interesting, I knew the pictures alone were not going to result in a great video. I pulled from the lyrics for inspiration on the other elements, including the paint motif.

It was also delayed because the initial plan was to shoot the infinite white footage with the full 5 person band. After a while it became clear that coordinating everybody just wasn't going to happen, and that's when the production side of things kicked off.

Keep in mind, I did this all by myself, one guy, start to finish. The paint on the record had to be shot twice, as I wasn't satisfied with how the paint poured the first time.

None of this is computer generated. It's all real footage, layered and blended/overlayed.

4K on the NX1 really let me reposition/crop everything so that the layers combined pleasingly, and the layering allowed me to combine softer slow motion footage into the mix while maintaining an overall crisp look. Every frame in this was reworked, several times. It is seven layers of footage deep in some places. Each cut was watched by a small group of people that I trust, and feedback was taken. In the end, I wouldn't change one bit of it, and neither would the band, so . . . Here it is finished!

I'm really happy with it as both a casually enjoyable piece, and a piece with plenty of details for the observant viewers. And I'm especially proud of the practical effects.

• Thanks for the insight on your production.

• Happy to share! One-man-crew is a different way to work, but I come from a fine art background, so I'm cool with it.