Personal View site logo
Blackmagic Video Assist - FullHD 5" monitor with ProRes and DNxHD recorder, $395 now
  • 73 Replies sorted by
  • So we could be waiting until Christmas 2016 until that happens???

• Best news I've read all day! The BMD Video Assist is shipping now

https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/649034256287727616

• Great! I think that the next stop will be the Micro cinema camera :)

• Seems Atomos still has the lead till they put in some of the software extras peaking, zebras, waveforms etc.

• They said it would ship with at least those basic features??

• SD cards as recording media will raise the overall price a lot.

• @IronFilm Well I guess there shipping and there is no mention of those tools that I could see. Would be happy to see if someone could point out I missed it and am wrong.

• "peaceonearthpeaceonearth 12:10AM SD cards as recording media will raise the overall price a lot."

Thanks for making me laugh my ass off before I've even had breakfast this morning. :)

• Im glad to see it has 60p recording capabilities unlike so many others.

• @bannedindv glad that I brought fun into your life (I just wonder why?)

• Because SD cards are one of the cheaper recording formats that there are.

• SD card recording is actually a huge selling point. They're small and inexpensive. CFast 2.0 cards for the URSA are anywhere from $500-$1000 each.

• Adding to this that SD cards speed now cab ne almost 200mb/s, I think they are good solution.

• Still no word on peaking, focus assist/aperture, waveform, and false color. I gotta say that aside from the price difference, I prefer the Pix-e5. I'm actually waiting for the e7, though, since I work as a camera op as well as a 1st AC.

• This isn't in the same vein as Pix-e5. They aren't meant to compete with eachother. This isn't a 4k recorder, but rather a 1080p recorder. Compare it to a Ninja 2, thats its competition. I agree SD cards is it's biggest selling point for me as well. From what I have heard, it will have all the menu options that a blackmagic camera does... biggest disappointment for me is the lack of lut support.

• I Mean, considering that it's a 1080p panel with dual input/output/cross conversion, and the price that it is - which is dirt cheap - just imagine it's only a monitor, and that there is a free reference recorder built in, and then consider that many users of this might be GH2, GH3, A7x or gh4 owners who already have sd cards, it's kind of a funny thing to complain about the price, that's all.

I think it's just hard to please everyone, even with something that is pretty much a turnkey solution that massively disrupts the monitoring space.

• @bannedindv I don't think it massively disrupts it is just another option with heavy competition. When and if it gets the tools some of it's competition offers than it's other virtues will make it more compelling. With out those tools it is individual taste that will dictate where there money goes. Things only get better when we present where they have come up short in our eyes. For me I want the tools than there price point will be compelling. For others it might be LUTS or anamorphic desqueeze.

• I have been testing the SmallHD 702 for time (picture on my Instagram @joegunawan616), and I have to say that it's hard to go back to 5", which I do feel it's a bit small. I probably can't go smaller than a 5.5" like the TV Logic 56W/58W that's usually rented out out to me on jobs

• Absolutely - for the things I need a monitor for (scopes and Luts) I would pick a 502 or 702 for 3x the price...

• Hey @fotosiamo how does it compare in weight to the 502? I'm considering upgrading from the 502 but I don't want much more weight.

• You can't claim the VA isn't disruptive when it's already forced Atomos to heavily discount all of its 1080p recorders.

• What is so special about this recorder that they can do 60p on it where so many of the other top brand expensive ones cannot?

• @aaronchicago the weight of the 702 is pretty good and it's surprisingly compact for 7". This is due to to the thin side bezels. It feels pretty damn solid. Closer to a TV Logic and sturdier than an Atomos Shogun, that's for sure.

Love the ability to add luts, too

• Exactly @aldolega!!!

@joethepro I suppose it is because it is newer, while all the other HD recorders are usually a bit older so didn't support slow motion in many cases

• So No LUT Support?