Personal View site logo
Full HD 5'' monitor from former Smallhd

This little thing looks beautiful - wonder how much they're pricing it at

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • I have read that the Focus has a different method to show in focus parts of the image, in addition to fringing. Has anyone experience of this and if so their opinions, good, bad or indifferent.

• Does anyone have suggestions on how to calibrate the SmallHD 501? I understand how to create, load, and apply a LUT into the monitor, but what would be the best kind of image to create a LUT from? I just created a LUT from a video still extracted from my GH2 footage and loaded that onto the monitor. However, I'm not sure this is the best approach. Any suggestions would be helpful!

• I got the 501 with firmware 1.0. This devise is much darker then the gh4 screen. Not usable in sunny conditions ...

• Prefer to wait until some wiz-kid writes a smartphone app that does the same thing for $9.99 + dongle.

• Price announced: 1199 for screen(shipping), 1499 for loupe(summer release).

http://store.smallhd.com/502-SDI-On-Camera-Field-Monitor#tabs#specs

https://www.smallhd.com/lp/sidefinder/

Please note the specs: Peaking, Waveforms, and Scopes: (near future - LOL)

• Love the design of that viewfinder. I hope both together come in under $1500, but will probably be closer to $2000.

• I do like how it gets mounted sideways, keeps it compact! Hope the price is right, but I expect it will be too pricey for me.

• I was wondering if SmallHD was waiting until NAB started to announce a DP-4 style loupe/hood for this thing. Turns out, they had something much, much cooler in store:

The Sidefinder

This idea seems to make a lot of sense to me. Every other EVF just dwarfs the BMPCC and GH4 I've been shooting on recently, not only in sheer bulk but also in weight. Something like the Gratical, or smaller is really needed. If this 502 can run off a single battery, it will be light enough. And with the "Sidefinder", it could nestle up pretty close to the camera, but still be able to tilt off a variety of mounts.

If they price this right, they could eat Zacuto's lunch.

• True - FW759 was $120 on eBay. I just need something to use for focusing, I have only tried a crappy swivi way back in the day and that was no help at all.

• Somewhat coincidentally I just purchased the same monitor. Not too bothered by this SmallHD announcement as even though it looks very nice I bet its price will be radically higher than the dirt price I paid for mine.

• @IronFilm

Wanted 1920x1280 or at least a remote that would enable 1:1 pixel viewing. Was looking at musthd 701 but I don't know if it's worth the retail price.

FW759 looks ok but for whatever reason they decided to advertise with a remote. Surprise! There is no remote available or for sale.

• Surprise surpise, this looks exactly like a phone. I wonder how many of us were thinking "why can't someone just use a cheap full hd android phone display" for a monitor. Full HD phones are so cheap, can't believe it took so long.

Because it is very hard to do on the hardware side (you can read about interfaces used for panels :-)

• @scotchtape, why the sad face about the FW759??

• @cls105

I am trying to work with manufacturers both on 1080p panels and build in LUT support :-)

• I just bought FW759 :(

Surprise surpise, this looks exactly like a phone. I wonder how many of us were thinking "why can't someone just use a cheap full hd android phone display" for a monitor. Full HD phones are so cheap, can't believe it took so long.

• I kinda like it. Small form factor like a Phone but with more dedicated functions. Nice input and output.

• Well it would be nice if the cheaper asian monitors had LUT support. In time I guess.

• Why can't I just use my 5in smartphone, it's full hd, shame that there is no hdmi out like I had on my Sony Ericsson arc. Well well.

• After doing some research, that's one big parent company

• Good thing to note is that SmallHD is just old brand used by big ugly corporation now (who like to sue everyone).