Personal View site logo
Australia's renewable energy investment stops
  • 40 Replies sorted by
  • As I said - in nature any attempt to reduce individual consumption (by pride or individual) is like suicide. As this food and resources will be used by competition, always.

Then as I see it, two options remain. 1) extinction 2) Policy response. Option 2 will probably cause a war or something horrendous. Still better than option 1.

• How am I committing suicide exactly?

This thing is simple. By not consuming resources you provide them to others, hence they produce more offspring. So, such strange individuals being minority in next generation will be even smaller minority.

As I said - in nature any attempt to reduce individual consumption (by pride or individual) is like suicide. As this food and resources will be used by competition, always.

• How am I committing suicide exactly? I don't get it. I think it's the opposite. I think that people who go throw life without ever questioning anything and just accepting everything the Matrix throws at them (thanks for the Matrix video, @brianl!) and adjusting their lives accordingly are committing suicide.

• "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain

This citation is not appropriate.

As whole point of reducing your own consumption is to expect same from others. Otherwise you just perform some kind of suicide. I think any progress is this can be obtained only on next step of society development, not in capitalism.

• and 99% of them do not want to minimize consumption at all

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." -- Mark Twain

• Try to minimize your consumption as much as possible. Live close to your work, use your bike and walk as much as possible, etc..

It is suggestion made by idiot, as it works only if you are alone on distant island.

In reality all you do is free resources to be consumed by others (and 99% of them do not want to minimize consumption at all).

• Try to minimize your consumption as much as possible. Live close to your work, use your bike and walk as much as possible, etc.. I recommend "No Impact Man" by Colin Beavan.

• Yep, we are going to fuck this planet. This is how people can be seen from above:

• Yes, but are we really going to acidify our oceans? If we're doing cost benefit analysis, shouldn't be be thinking long term and not quarterly reports?

Yep, we are going to fuck this planet.

This is how people can be seen from above:

• Yes, but are we really going to acidify our oceans? If we're doing cost benefit analysis, shouldn't be be thinking long term and not quarterly reports?

• Yeah, it's not very good when we have politicians supporting oil & coal with no thought for the future.

Sorry, I do not get it. It is free economics in capitalism. Why this sources need any support at all? Because they are less efficient and people do not buy and install them if no subsidy.

Oil/natural gas etc. have to increase (relative to green) by approx. factor of 2 for green to break even. Just my $0.02

I'll tell you that it is even worse. In reality attempt to make green energy widespread will require huge rise of energy production from traditional sources. Otherwise it will be another 2008 - prices rise and later collapse with full blown issues.

• It is not about $$$ who get's paid off. It's about $$$ in simple economy. Solar, wind and other renewable energy sources are simply more expensive at this time than the cost of digging a hole and pumping black stuff out of the ground to burn. Governments screw this simple fact up by providing subsidies to supposedly offset the initial investment, but the reality is black is still cheaper than green. In the long run the subsidies don't pay off. Part of the issue is energy density, it's much harder to collect green than the black stuff in terms of BTU's per BTU spent collecting. Oil/natural gas etc. have to increase (relative to green) by approx. factor of 2 for green to break even. Just my $0.02

• Yeah, it's not very good when we have politicians supporting oil & coal with no thought for the future. Politicians will always follow the money, no matter the consequences, as that's how they get finance to get elected. Sad really.

• Spain is close

For wind development in Spain, there is nothing attractive to investors about joining a market where regulation is uncertain and government support withering. In 2014, Spain installed just 28 MW of wind power, far below the 175 MW installed in 2013. The tariff cut has imperiled the future of clean energy in Spain, unless the government can bring back wind incentives and restart the market.

https://www.navigantresearch.com/blog/spanish-wind-industry-faces-subsidy-cuts