Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Oh man I've been shooting with 1.3 I didn't realize 1.31 they fixed the peaking issue. I'm about to upgrade ASAP

• Vitaly, I know about the changes they explicitly mention, I just wonder what the "minor bugs" are all about.

• I finally tested my by NX1 on a 4k monitor. I've had issues with excessive aliasing on the NX1, so far I'd say using a 4k display does in fact mitigate the issue somewhat. I will test more tomorrow hopefully. Looks like some of you nerds were right, the aliasing, at least to some extent, is related to scaling. 4k is pretty, that's for sure.

• the Ferrari film by macgregor is wonderful - shows what can be achieved with a little camera in the right hands

• http://detail.zol.com.cn/lens/samsung/

• 24mm f/1.4 ED (macro?) or 24mm f/1.8 ED SSA iFn
    • 30mm f/2 II iFn
    • 55mm f/1.8 iFn
    • 135mm f/2 OIS SSA iFn

• 11-24mm f/2.8 ED OIS (macro?)

• 12-24mm f/4 ED iFn VCM
    • 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 or 16-80mm f/4.0 OIS
    • 70-400mm f/4-5.6 OIS ED VCM iFn or 80-400mm f/4-5.6 OIS SSA iFn
  • @MikeLinn

Given some of the technical factors of each camera and given the nature of online video distribution, I didn't think the Canon was that much better compared to the Samsung (or at least $3,000 or so better). In fact, the Samsung looked more detailed in some shots without looking like edge enhancement rather than actual detail.

I haven't come across that kind of color discrepancy and color push on my NX1 footage that Andrew complains about. Has anyone else?

It would still be nice if someone more "lab oriented" could see if the sharpness settings at 0 and lower are still applying artificial false edges or if it's real world image detail. If so, at what setting does it start to disappear.

• "Samsung NX1 system camera receives TIPA Award : Samsung Electronics announced the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) awarded the company Best Compact System Camera (CSC) Professional for the Samsung NX1. The Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) Awards are recognized as the most coveted photo and imaging awards worldwide. Each year, TIPA editors vote for the best photo and imaging products based on leadership across several areas including innovation, design/ergonomics, ease-of-use, and price/performance ratio. TIPA judges specifically highlighted the NX1’s technology which empowers photographers everywhere to achieve previously unimaginable levels of quality in every image they capture.

"The Samsung NX1 was recognized for its advanced 28.2 Megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor and DRIMe V processor, supporting both 4K video and a full-resolution still image shooting rate of 15 frames per second. The Samsung NX1 system camera also features two 4K video settings (DCI 4K-4096 x 2160 at 24P and UHD 4K-3840 x 2160 pixels at 24P/30P) as well as HD and Full HD. The digital camera comes equipped with a high-resolution AMOLED tilting touch-screen monitor, ISO range of 100-25,600(Ext. 51,200), and a unique hybrid AF system that combines phase-and contrast-detection.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/40828/samsung-system-camera/

• Samsung has big issues with distribution.

Sellers do not want to invest money, and management in many countries become so addicted to big smartphones margins, so they ignore products that do not bring them bonuses.

• The Samsung NX1 is an excitingly ambitious camera for Samsung, as they pretty much pulled out all the stops to make a high-performance, professional-level mirrorless camera.

In terms of ergonomics, we'd go so far as to say the NX1 is one of the most comfortable cameras we've held in recent memory. The EVF is wonderful.

The Samsung NX1 is a peppy camera. The camera is very quick to start-up so you'll be ready to shoot in no time flat. The high-speed burst mode actually clocked in slightly faster than 15fps in our lab test. The buffer is also impressively deep: 50 frames for JPEGs and roughly 20 for RAW or RAW+JPEG.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/samsung-nx1/samsung-nx1A.HTM

• @Manu4Vendetta

Voldemort still makes useless tutorials and fake LOGs? :-)

LOG seems to be new fashion lately with most people not understanding what it is and how to use it properly :-)

• Who is paying for that? I'm sure whatever is in that tutorial is sourced from message boards.

• If you really want to waste your money buy the tutorial. People that can,t even shoot a semi decent video sequence have no business putting half baked tutorials and charging for them.

• Firmware update to 1.40 - adds digital image stabilization in video mode!

[v.1.40] 1. Increased continous maximum shot counts - 15fps JPEG : 70ea > 90ea - 15fps RAW : 20ea > 25ea

1. Added Video DIS (except 120p, VGA size video)
    2. Added AEL at M mode, ISO Auto setting
    3. Added Focus Peaking menu in button setting menu
    4. Improved AF to work during zooming (6 Supporting Lens : 16-50mm S, 50-150mm S, 16-50mm PZ, 18-55mm III, 12-24mm, 50-200mm III)

* Please updated Lens together with Latest version Lens Firmware can be updated by iLauncher

1. Add Flash Exposure info. display on Live view Live view (when Flash is ON)
    2. Improved battery display to show both internal & external remains together when vertical grip is mounted
    3. Improved Playback speed of photo
    4. Improved sound quality of external Mic. (only for Auto MIC Control OFF)
    5. Overall fixed minor bugs

So, how does NIS do? Does it result in a severe crop? in image degradation? No, no, and it really aids stability.

Here is a test comparing OIS and OIS+DIS, using the notorious NX 50-200mm lens, which has terrible OIS on the NX1. The first clip in each sequence is OIS mode, then OIS+NIS from the same pace. The telephoto is at the long end (equivalent 350mm):

• The footage is really better, but there is a noticable crop.

• 19001525710_12c6bef930_c.jpg
    800 x 516 - 89K
  • I love Samsung for this. DIS is not something I'd use regularly but its not nice to know its there in a pinch. Did some cart mount stuff last weekend that could've used it to help get rid of the micro vibrations

• 4K video shot with DIS and OIS using the 16-50mm S lens.

• ATTENTION NX1 Owners:

Does Focus Peaking and Focus Magnification work with third party manual lenses? Thanks!

• To be more specific, is peaking visible in the EVF during recording with third party manual lenses? And what about focus magnification?

• Panning issues with the Samsung NX1 DIS :