Personal View site logo
Monsanto....Let the Farmers Grow What They Wanna Grow
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • You mean, let them grow GMO? As from economical POV it is best idea for them.

• Haha. So you're saying the farmers are greedy? Could be. Who among us isn't greedy?

• It is capitalism, hence interests of farmers and Monsanto differ sometimes, but in general they are similar.

• I guess that's why us small farmers are starving. The farther away the frankencorn stays, the better I like it.

• Small farmers can't compete with huge companies in general. Only in some niche.

• In India, a lot of farmers went bankrupt and killed themselves. Can't remember the details, but basically I think Monsanto screwed them.

• In India, a lot of farmers went bankrupt and killed themselves. Can't remember the details, but basically I think Monsanto screwed them.

How about exact details?

• I'll try to look it up when I get the chance. I read the article a long time ago...

• Monsano has a clause where you cannot use the seed in between seasons or even use them for breeding (wrong word?) Most farmers in India used to save some seed for the next sowing season. The rains failed - the farmers could not repay their debt and opted to kill themselves. Also, Monsanto seed is used more for cash crops. Monsanto encouraged farmers not to use multiple crops (as they traditionally did). So, all their eggs in one baskets, one crop, only one source for seeds. Except the rains failed.

And its happened often in India. So fuck Monsanto!

• Indian farmer suicides are a lot more complex than a single thing such as the introduction of GMO cotton. In fact, the rate jumped in 1997 before it was even introduced. Edit - and if growing non-GMO cotton were so much better for the farmers, why wouldn't they just grow that instead? It's not like non-GMO cotton seed has been taken off the market.

• And its happened often in India. So fuck Monsanto!

It won't result in anything, if you kill Monsanto you will get another one within year or two.

Actually, demand from GMO started exactly because farmers and big guys also wanted predictability, hence they wanted resistance to very strong chemicals they wanted to use to kill almost anything.

• Another issue is Monsanto suing farmers who have had crops contaminated by neighboring GMO farms through cross pollination. Monsanto argues that the affected farmer is gaining Monsanto technology illegally. The legal system supports their view. The argument that the 'clean' non GMO crop has been ruined has been quashed in the courts. Money wins.

• The argument that the 'clean' non GMO crop has been ruined has been quashed in the courts. Money wins.

Money always win in capitalism. Do not like it? Well, bad for ya.

• Money always win in capitalism. Do not like it? Well, bad for ya.

Doesnt mean it should be acceptable and the people should have to just take it up the ass. Citizens can make a change, it just takes more time and effort than the collective population is willing or able to give effectively.

• Citizens can make a change, it just takes more time and effort than the collective population is willing or able to give effectively.

It is called idealism. What kind of change? Why things will change if they are in direct interests of ruling class? Because you ask for it?

• @ Vitaly. Doing nothing is accepting your own murder. I think it is ok to be angry with the oppressors. There is no dignity if you say yes and do nothing.

• I think it is ok to be angry with the oppressors. There is no dignity if you say yes and do nothing.

It is not ok to be angry, as it is that monkeys do. They become angry.

I did not say that you do nothing, but first you must understand that is going on (from scientific point of view) and that you can do to change it and how.

• The bastards also manufactured Agent Orange which was, and probably still is, responsible for congenital birth defects in hundreds of thousands of children in Vietnam and the US. The bastards continue to deny it and should therefore be strung up by their balls. http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/agent-orange-background-monsanto-involvement.aspx

• The bastards continue to deny it and should therefore be strung up by their balls

If you start counting corporations who made something causing mass deaths, big life quality reduction or health issues you will need to hang them all.

• Vitaliy is right. Going after one corporation won't work. It is capitalism itself that must change. The problem is, no one with real power wants that, and we do not know what form it will take when it comes.

• @Vitaly Well, what are we waiting for ;) The US government was the contractor so of course there would be no end to the blame chain. I'll stay on topic from now on.

• The problem is, no one with real power wants that, and we do not know what form it will take when it comes.

You really need to read some classics :-) As everyone (well, 99.99%) with real power are ok with it, and always will be.

And nope, capitalism can't change, at least globally. Locally it can show you its face, but be sure that in many other places it shows people the ass.

• changing things is extremely complex. alex jones has been yapping about "let's hang the elites" for decades now. it should be clear to everyone that he actually works for the elites, otherwise he'd be dead a long time ago. so why would the elites hire someone to promote their own demise? and is it truly a viable solution if the elites are advocating it? is it a trap?

• it should be clear to everyone that he actually works for the elites, otherwise he'd be dead a long time ago.

You are wrong. Elites are very fine with people who tell about such stuff, if it does not mean anything real, does not involve plans and explanation that happens next.

• This is that big corporations do:

Tenneco plans to discontinue its Marzocchi motor bike fork suspension and its mountain bike business, and will liquidate its Marzocchi operations, the company announced in a press release issued Wednesday.

Tenneco expects to record charges of approximately $27 million related to the liquidation in the third quarter, which includes approximately $17 million of cash expenditures, for severance and other employee-related costs, asset impairment charges and other expenses related to the closure. The company anticipates improving financial results by $7 million annually, beginning in 2016.

Tenneco is an $8.4 billion global manufacturing company with headquarters in Lake Forest, Ill., and approximately 29,000 employees worldwide. It's one of the largest designers, manufacturers and marketers of clean air and ride performance products and systems for automotive, commercial truck, and off-highway original equipment markets, and the aftermarket. Its principal brand names are Monroe, Walker, XNOx and Clevite Elastomer.

In 2008, Tenneco bought Gruppo Marzocchi, based near Bologna, Italy, and founded in 1949. Tenneco paid about $15 million for the company by assuming its outstanding debts.