Personal View site logo
Decline of DSLRs for Pro Video
  • According to Futuresource Consulting's Convergence in Pro Video report, European shipments of DSLRs into professional video applications dropped by 41% in 2014.

The report, spanning Europe and the USA, focuses on the growth of alternative acquisition products, such as DSLRs and Compact System Cameras (CSCs) as well as Action Cameras, which are increasingly being used in professional video production.

The professional camcorder market has faced increased competition from alternative acquisition products since the announcement of the Canon 5D mark II in 2008 and its subsequent adoption within professional video applications.

However, according to Futuresource, the industry is currently at a turning point, with DSLRs in Europe expected to account for merely 4% of sales within the professional video market (excluding high-end digital cinema cameras) by 2019. At its peak DSLRs accounted for 31% of this market.

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • This makes a lot of sense, since video cameras have closed the gap with large sensor DSLR's over the last few years with more "cinematic" offerings. DSLR's are still great for certain kinds of projects, but dedicated video cameras are just better suited for MANY jobs.

• I think this mostly just shows the move away from DSLR's to mirrorless. Yes there is a small increase in the share of pro large-sensor cams, but overall between video cams vs. photo cams there isn't a huge difference. While within photo cams it shows an overwhelming move to mirrorless (CSC).

• The problem with DSLR and Mirrorless cameras is for professional work you have to rig a DSLR to the point it looks like a badly made Videocamera anyway. The olympus 5 axis stabilisation comes some way to deal with getting the stability of a larger camera but still DSLR's as a professional option are still lacking or need so much extras you may as well get a videocamera with changable lenses.

• Rigs get old. Nothing like slinging a ENG shoulder mount out of the bag and into action.

• The prediction of decline in use of the DSLRs as a Pro Video camera is not hard to imagine, but I am wondering about the extrapolation of the two and half years of sales to the next four years :-)

• Definitely not hard to believe, especially when the cost of some rigs have exceeded the cost of the camera.

• My first video/still camera was the 7D. I bought it to do photo journalism as well as acceptable field video. Worked fine for that. Then I got caught up in rigs, audio and insanity. I still use my GH2 and 3 but they can't compete with the camcorders for 70 percent of what I do. I can see the decline.

• So true. I know I am going to be converting to camcorders for all my live events. I shut a wedding last year and because the couple was on a budget, I rented a JVC HM150 to use. It turn out to be an eye opening experience for me. Camcorders just work for live event.

• Camcorders are cheaper than ever now, and obviously rig better. Regardless there's a plethora of options for making great-looking video today. No better time than now to do videography