Personal View site logo
Copyright and limits
  • Libgen, the largest online repository of free books and academic articles, has pretty much vanished from the Internet. Earlier this month the site's operators were sued by academic publishing company Elsevier, who asked a New York federal court for a preliminary injunction hoping to keep the site down for good.

https://torrentfreak.com/libgen-goes-down-as-legal-pressure-mounts-150622/

We have huge issue, as some criminals made such laws that they are not moral and not in the interests of people. And they even openly state - yes, laws are not moral and not supported, but they are laws and you must obey them.

For someone who do not understand it is useful to read how this criminals formed huge empires.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Copyright

...50 to 100 years after the death of the author.

But I have an interesting story. I joined scribd to download books.They have a deal that if you upload a manuscript, then w/o paying , you can download one. I got alot of books w/o paying an indian nickel. However , the manuscripts I uploaded as trade were 17th, 18th and 19th century works. My logic was they couldn't possibly be still copyrighted. I was wrong ! I was always notified by scribd, sometimes months later, that this or that company had challenged my right of ownership...i.e, my right to upload it to scribd. Of course I got all the books from scribd I wanted, and used an alias, but learned that flea lawyers will always come out of the woodwork if they think a nickel is worth it ! And the opposite is also true. If you as an individual have something copyrighted, that copyright is only worth the amount you're willing to invest on lawyers protecting it !

• but learned that flea lawyers will always come out of the woodwork if they think a nickel is worth it !

Whole origin of copyright is to provide resource for existence for individuals who are not useful to society at all. Usually this exact guys push authors and artists forward, but it is not true.

• individuals who are not useful to society at all

.....that sounds like lawyers to me ! A copyright is like rolling up the window when you leave your keys in the car. Copyrights would be far more practical if they were like patents, void after 17 years.

• that sounds like lawyers to me

Lots and lots of guys in many areas.

Copyrights would be far more practical if they were like patents, void after 17 years.

If you look back into copyright history and arguments their only valid ones are to provide proper compensation for work and some extra to allow future work to happen.

Well, laws must follow this moral part. But they must also be dynamic (to quickly compensate for smart guys ideas how to abuse it) and outcome based (to look at the end result of law usage).

• Nifty! Got a very helpful book just now about ankylosing spondylitis for me from LibGen.

• One of the largest Russian online library blocked today, and copyright criminals even made symbolic reason:

Sole reason was... for distribution of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian novel by Ray Bradbury published in 1953. It is regarded as one of his best works. The novel presents a future American society where books are outlawed and "firemen" burn any that are found.

• the movie based on that book is worth a watch.

• @babypanda +1 to 451 the film!

• and this is why we still need "piracy". :(

• The reason America lags behind other nations on fashion copyright law is, in Scafidi’s view, because historically it was a manufacturing hub rather than a design center. Europe had the designers; the United States had the factories that mass-manufactured the European designs. Garment makers benefit from relaxed copyright laws because it means they can either skip hiring designers or simply hire sketch artists to copy the latest looks. “They can just go out and choose what’s hot—it used to be what’s hot from Paris, now it’s what’s hot from anywhere—and make the copy,” says Scafidi. Now that you’re more likely to find a fashion designer than a garment worker in the United States, Scafidi believes that this has shifted the balance of power toward designers, many of whom are demanding that we reexamine our law.

Perfect example illustrating what

Law is the will of the ruling class transformed into legal regulations.

• The UK government last month extended copyright for designs from 25 years to the life of the designer plus 70 years. In practice, this is likely to mean a copyright term of over 100 years for furniture and other designed objects.

Well, I have not much comments on this. But I expect that they return to it soon and make it 1000 years. Capitalists always like to make stupid prospects how long they can last.