Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • What everyone seems to miss is that the GH4 and the announced Sony A7rII are in completely different price categories. Even the A7s, with recorder, is 3 times the price. Thus the GH4 doesn't compete directly with the Sony. Look at the changes from GH2 to GH3 to GH4 and you'll get a better sense of what is in store for the GH5. Each change brought a more robust codec with increased resolution with the same MP (but improved) sensor.

Panasonic could go to 6K, or more likely 4:2:2 internal 4K to improve IQ using faster SD cards. They will also improve low light a bit, but not as much as everyone wants. Autofocus will take another huge step forward, especially in video. Improvements in ergonomics, buttons without changing the refinements that have worked so well. If V-Log extends the life of the GH4, they'll likely release the GH5 within a year of that.

• Vitaliy Great suggestion. That is what I did when forced to use a 5DII for Video and I used black Sigma lens.

Now. I wish I could get a prototype GH5 and do the same thing (for Panasonic's sake).

• GH5 (or whatever the model number is)

Has to have 5axis IBIS - All the players have it now, and to rely on the MEGA OIS of the lenses, just won't cut it for 2016, especially with Panasonic seemingly happy with people using Speedboosters for Anamorphic and the like. The difference is night and day.

They need to fix a number of functions, which still don't work:

1. Changing ISO - removes ALL exposure aids from screen (Zebras, Meter - the lot)

2. While is P/S/M modes. Display all of the shutter, aperture & ISO values. So we can see what it's doing.

3. Ability to assign a Fn button to do one touch WB (useful in movie mode)

4. Enable AutoISO in M mode (movie) + plus enable upper ISO limit

5. While in A mode (Movie) with AutoISO on, limit shutter to 180' shutter angle

6. Assign ISO control to wheel without need to press ISO button

In-body 10bit 422 would be killer, but I presume their Varicam department wouldn't allow it, even if the GH5 would use the new faster SD Cards

• 2016 will be about camera companies mergers and deaths. This is for sure.

so who's merging and who's dying? oh, blackmagic is dying, you predicted, right? so no bmpcc ii ?

• Hi Driftwood numbers 4 and 9 are the unlucky japanese numbers, that is why I was surprised when the gh4 came out. Pretty sure 5 is fine, but as always I may be wrong

In Japan, certain numbers are lucky and unlucky. It's really important to know these numbers because if you don't, you could be accidentally telling someone you'd like them to suffer a slow agonizing death when you're giving them omiyage (お土産 – souvenirs) from your trip to Kyoto.

First, let's get the bad ones out of the way. Four is an unlucky number in Japan because it sounds like shi (死 – death). This is why there are two readings for the number four, shi and yon. Whenever possible, people try to avoid using the deathy one.

The same is true of the ku (九 – nine), which sounds like ku (苦 – suffering, agony or torture). Similarly to four, there are two readings for nine – ku and kyu.

• Might not be called GH5, Im wondering if they like that number over in Japan.

• @labalbi And the A6100 or A7000, Sony can put it 4K for compete with the NX500.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev hauaahaauahu ...man , nice good humor he he ...anyway ...I think I live in Brazil where none of these cameras are currently sold. In august I ll be in Boston , USA. I wonder if I ll have better options than the GH4 or the 2x-the-price A7R II . Its will be the worst time to buy a new camera with the GH5 and the A7S II around the corner , dont you think ? If only we had the V-log firmware confirmation ...would be so nice ... Thanks !

• I just cant buy a camera with Samsung name on it

In this case buy black sticky tape first :-)

• Buy Samsung NX1

Cant do that . I just cant buy a camera with Samsung name on it ...he he

• If you now have no camera but a bunch of MFT lens get the GH4. It is better in every way. You can use a SpeedBooster in low light.

The A7rII does cost twice as much, the equivalent lens are heavier and more expensive, battery life is dismal, and recording is limited to "up to" 29 minutes.

Another (better) option would be to get the JVC LS300 (s35 Sensor) CamCorder if you are into Video.

The Stills comparison does not matter to me, because they are all "good enough" for my work.

• I've just sold my GH3 and I have no idea what to do !!!! Buy the new A7R II ?

Buy Samsung NX1 and become calm, calm, calm :-) As Sony will come with A7s II, Samsung will release compressed raw video firmware :-)

• I've just sold my GH3 and I have no idea what to do !!!! Buy the new A7R II ? Buy the GH4 to use with me lenses ( 14 mm ,25 mm e 45 mm ) ... Question is : price ! The A7R II cost as much as 2x the GH4 ! And I dont know , people talks about low light GH4 capabilities as it is crap but I have seen a lot of movies done with primes showing very nice quality ...

• 2016 will be about 8k

Facts tell us that it won't.

2016 will be about camera companies mergers and deaths. This is for sure.

• 2016 will be about 8k.

• Global shutter, in-body stabilization, clean usable footage noise free at 12800 (Sony does twice as much).

• If Fuji/Panasonic are then ready the organic sensor, that could be memorable.

• I'd like 10 bit, 4:2:2 DCI color space support (internally and RAW video externally), a global shutter with no jello, and much better dynamic range and low light capability.

At least 60 fps UHD.

• The A7s was primarily built for low light Video. I would like to see the same emphasis with the GH5. Plenty of buyers will use it for Stills anyway, even if it gets a 12 MP s35 Sensor.

• I'm just hoping it has more DR. 13 Stops and I'll mot likely buy it. Low light capability could be better, add one more useable stop and I'd buy the GH5 for sure.

• First, the GHs were always hybrid cameras, not video-only cameras - and I guess that Panasonic will continue in this trend, trying to sell it both for photo and video crowds. This discards, at the start, a low resolution sensor like the A7S's - in fact, since it will probably (like the GH4) use one same sensor from other stills cameras, a higher resolution sensor will probably be used (18mp or 20mp), because is now the trend in the stills camp.

I guess that both Olympus and Panasonic are waiting for a new sensor becoming available for both the GH5 and the E-M1 Mark II sensor (the E-M1 uses a Panasonic sensor), with some improvement that could get headlines. Probably a BSI (not stacked) one.

• I hear all this "Sony has put everyone on notice/no one can keep up/blah, blah, blah." Panasonic did it first with the GH4. It is everything you need in a video/stills hybrid. It's not good in very low light, it's autofocus (especially in 4K) needs to be better, but it was revolutionary and is still a phenomenal camera. The NX1 was nice, had some new things, but I wouldn't say it was revolutionary. Same for the A7S from Sony. Certainly its low light was revolutionary (it is amazing) but overall, it wasn't anything that blew the competition away. If it would have had 4K internal, it would have been a stronger contender for replacing the GH4 in my bag.

Now, Sony has made the next big advance, but to think Panasonic will be left in the dust is a pretty brave assumption to make, IMO. They did it once, and I'm betting on them making another serious push to be considered the best DSLR form video/stills hybrid.

• @Vesku I agree about 4K/60P. V-log is probably also a given in the spec. 10 bit internal would be a huge differentiator vs. the competition if they can deliver. I'd love to see an S35 sensor crammed into the MFT mount, if anything just to shut up the "small sensor" Nazis. That feature is probably less than 50%, unless they decide to share sensor production with the Varicam to boost production numbers and lower fab costs.

• Maybe I have more faith in Panasonic than most. After seeing the advances they made from GH3 to 4, I would expect nothing less for a GH5.

I also have a A7s that I only use in poor/low light beyond the GH4 capabilities, and I have use a 4k recorder DownRes to get better Video in that light.

Really clean 6400 ISO would press the buy button for me. The AF while shooting Video and the unlimited internal recording are already way better features on the GH4.

• No one mentioned vlog as a speculation, eh?