Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Rocky Mountain has a Korean and English version, be sure to download the proper one. I love how Rocky Mountain renames the files properly.

• We began with the thought that when you’re working the vertical grip, it should be the same experience as when you’re when handling the camera horizontally. Most DSLR cameras feel unwieldy when held vertically, and having a vertical grip doesn’t make it any better. Achieving a cohesive design and feel between the body and the vertical grip was our priority. The NX1’s smaller size has an advantage in this regard. Even with the vertical grip, the grip feels similar whether held horizontally or vertically.

For ultimate comfort and usability, we designed the vertical grip to be attached from the back instead of the front. This way nothing gets in the way when you’re holding the camera. Comments and feedback from photographers using our cameras proved to be invaluable in the entire design process.

http://samsungcamera.com/interview-nx1s-senior-designers-beauty-nx1/

• FYI

Samsung is running another sale on the NX1 body only and body with kit lens bundles.

• Also note that for $1072 on amazon you can get new bodies with packaging issues

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00NFDZRRA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

• Is there a way to do frame grabs in UHD? Potplayer grabs aren't in UHD or 4k.

• Mediaplayer Classic can do this.

• Just a general comment, and perhaps more an indication of my shortcomings, but in video and stills, I haven't found it easy getting good exposure. I find the DR disappointing and the built in metering temperamental. I'll keep practicing though. I was GH2 exposure god once...

• So, is there any consensus on a quality H.265 file converter that does the least amount of damage to the original footage - i.e., doesn't introduce banding, crush blacks, change brightness/contrast, etc. ?

• When does a forum reach consensus on anything? For me it's Photon: ProRes Mode 2 at level 2 gets me results that I like. It's preference really.

• John Toll - I've been very happy with EditReady, on the recommendation of Andrew Reid at EosHD. I convert to ProRes LT and see no banding or crushed blacks. Wish I could find something to convert for editing in Sony Vegas tho.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I am calm (or at least reasonably so). ;) And I'm using the Adobe Premiere Pro CC Suite for editing, but thanks for the suggestion.

• And I'm using the Adobe Premiere Pro CC Suite for editing, but thanks for the suggestion.

You asked for accurate, fast GPU accelerated converter (with ability to fast trim things), use it, even if you want to edit everything in CC.

• @markholmes Thank you for the suggestion! Will check it out.

Edit: Damn! Only available for Macs. I'm a PC. Any other suggestions?

• from what I've read to maintain color accuracy with with editready or any of the other transcoders you need to shoot in 16-235. Thats what someone from EditReady said over at EOSHD's forum

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

As I mentioned to Mark, I use a PC. Does the Rocky Mountain converter have major transcoding issues?

• As I mentioned to Mark, I use a PC

And?

• Just test it. Drag a clip into it, the drag the resulting file into your editor. The program is FREE, test it yourself to see if you like the results.

• Rocky Mountain is pretty good and its free.

Being that video is 8bit, does it make sense to transcode to ProRes HQ? My transcoded files came out pretty big and they were all 1080p.

I haven't tested yet but has anyone tried SQ and LT flavors for their NX1 footage?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

And... EditReady, as Mark recommended, is for Macs. Unless you know something I don't.

• @JohnTollwannabe

We have some communication issue, I provided link for PC software (that can be used as NLE or just as converter). And I have nothing to do with Mark converter talk.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Fair enough. :)

Do I need to get the full Power Director Suite to get proper H.265 to ProRes HQ conversion, if that's all I'm using it for?

Any thoughts on P.D. as compared to EditReady and Rocky Mountain? Thanks!