Personal View site logo
GH1 banding after hack
  • I have a GH1 I bought from ebay that has very apparent banding after I hacked it. I tested it before and there was no banding. It appears mostly in low light. I've reloaded original firmware and nothing works. Stills look fine. Is my camera broken?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I'm sure there was banding before. Maybe because without the hack the bitrate was so low it got somwhat smeared, and now with more mbs it's more visible. Unfortunately, the GH1 was plagued by banding. I loved the camera but the amount of banding was unbearable.

• Yes, I loved my GH1 except for the awful banding which was most apparent in blue sky. I eventually moved on to my present camera, a GH3, and the very first thing I checked was susceptibility to blue-sky banding. Thankfully, I've never seen it in the GH3.

• I realize now that that is how the camera is. I'm thinking of selling my GH1 camera body and buying a GH2, but I don't want to buy it if it has any banding issues. How is the GH2 in low light?

• well, not great:) it's a nice cam if you feed it with a lot of light. gh4 is much better in this regard, although not great either - it's a small sensor after all. if you're on a budget wait for G7 test - should be similar to the GH4.

• I've spent a few days testing the GH1 in low light by locking the exposure and I have to say I'm really impressed with what this camera can do. I have lpowell peak reliability settings hack and I love the result. Once I figured out locking exposure this camera turned into a really good one for me.

• @shabram_2222 what do you mean "by locking the exposure"? Does it means "emory setting" for low light?