Personal View site logo
GH4 - Best Video Settings
  • 753 Replies sorted by
  • Hey guys, check out the trailer to my latest project, all shot on GH4:

• I like your work. I think really demonstrates how truly 'cinematic' the GH4 can be when used properly. I hope you get the funding to make the film. It is a really nice concept.

• alexpj19 This is Madness!

• Looks amazing alex! What lenses were you using?

• What do you think about GH4 noise reduction. I have an extreme example of the same clip with NR -5 and NR 0. Other settings were iso3200, natural contrast -5, color 0, sharpness 0. iDynamic was standard and there is heavy underexposing. I think NR-5 is much better.

Image is 100% center crops of 4k frames

3200iso.jpg
    1687 x 1572 - 576K
  • In-cam noise reduction is clearly still to be avoided. A smeared looking image just isn't usable at all. Noise is less objectionable than the smearing! And still is better worked on by full noise-control software in post.

Neil

• problem solved

Sequence 02.Still001.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Sequence 02.Still002.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Sequence 02.Still003.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Sequence 02.Still004.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
  • I haven't been checking these posts in a while so I'm not sure if anyone else here has tried the "Megyesi" settings (http://www.supertone.dk/#!GH4-Optimal-Film-Setting-works-in-stills-too/c24o4/8E18836A-F271-4A14-AF0D-C575B9D5F4B6") This project I shot has I think great skin tones, using those settings with no other color correction.

• @Alienhead very very nice piece!! Love the freshness and how it's cut, working hard T. =)

• @Alienhead

That supertone setting is interesting. It darkens midtones and highlights so you can expose more and get strong signal and less noise. I must test it. i still fear that it ruins the GH4 exellent dyn range.

• @maxr thanks! @Vesku I'm interested how your test turns out. I should've tried grading it and seeing how that came out but I was happy enough with it. I'm not yet sure how it compares shooting Cine D with the dynamic range, but I did at least feel like I knew what was going to be blown out, even if I was blowing it out. But some of this footage would've been a challenge in any case as far as exposre, like the book signing, which was so dark that I was shooting 6400 ISO at f1.4.

• @Alienhead ...

Nice work. In my testing with a GH3, this works with that one also. Didn't lose any dynamic range but skin tones and color feel are better. Especially considering the GH3's infamous magenta/plasticine skin. And grades quite well. I've loved seeing it with GH4 footage like yours.

No grading, huh? Nice job ...

Neil

• @Alienhead My GH4 is with this profile for long time now. I like it a lot. Nice video by the way!

• Thanks guys. @rNeil there is only some white balancing and a little brightness/contrast adjustment in a couple of shots.

I shot it in 4k and delivered in 1080, which gave me some flexibility to 'zoom in' on the timeline with a few shots.

• Wow. Really nice work then. I also recognize that you did very good WB & exposure setup in-cam. That is HUGE with the "thin" data stream these mostly-8bit cams record into. I've watched so many complain of noise & artifacts with footage where it doesn't look like they've mastered the WB/exposure part of shooting. Your footage shows what happens when one does.

Neil

• @Alienhead

I watched your sample video and it looks very clean. It has though a little "smoothed" or "plasticky" highlights to me and kind of dark black tones. I have tested a little this high contrast + HL darkening setup and while it gives very clean image I still prefer low contrast look with more noise.

I watched my 4k recordings with a mid range Panasonic 55" 4k tv (AX630) and I saw very little noise in my low contrasts clips. The processing in 4k Tv is so good that the image is much cleaner than in computer monitor and there is less need to get the cleanest image in-camera.

• @alexpj19 fuck a duck that's good.

• For a project I need to film a night scene and I am thinking to try 'day for night' with the GH4. Has anyone got any experience with this? What would the best settings be?

• Hey community! Take a look at the power of image and color utilizing the Panasonic GH4. The camera grades incredibly well, looking forward to V-Log.

• @CapionStudio your grading demo is awesome! I'm still trying to get a hold on which profile I want to use. I've been shooting Cinelike D for a while but I'm having some trouble with restoring accurate skin tones when grading without making the whole image seem dull. I definitely need to keep practicing. I've tried cinelike v with fairly good results and I'm wanting to try the portrait settings that @alienhead posted above!

• @nosignal I am glad you enjoyed it. We use these settings 90% of the time. I hope this helps!

Photo Style: Cinelike D Contrast: -5 Sharpness: 0 Noise Reduction: 0 Saturation: -5 Hue: 0 Rec Format: MOV Exposure Mode: "M" manual AFS/AFF; AFS Cont. AF: Off Meter Mode: Center Weighted icon Highlight Shadows: default I. Dynamic: Off I.Resolution: Off Master Ped: 0 Luminance Level: 0-255

• @Maddog15 did you mean in reference to our video "Image & Color"? If so thanks a bunch man!

• @CapionStudio Yes sorry... typed the wrong name.

Really nice work. I've had this camera for about a year now and every time I use it I'm still blown away by what it can produce with CineD and a little post TLC.

Again, nice work and thanks for sharing.