Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @IronFilm

I wonder if Loch Ness monster is leading this project. If so, I can only imagine results.

• I don't agree with the "great in low light" comment but otherwise...

• just found this video on vimeo, it is not mine...very nice colors :)

• Credit for that video goes to Philip Leclerc who has some other great Nx1 videos on his vimeo. https://vimeo.com/philipleclerc

I'm loving the highlight roll off of this cam and the minimal banding. Even though the current DR is a couple stops less then the A7s Samsung could come close to matching it with a picture profile. Dprivew managed to push the shadows of Raw stills +5EV adding almost no noise. This would indicate the potential of the sensor. No NX1-Lx required :)

I would think lower MP would lower rolling shutter and give better high-iso performance. However without scaling in 4k it would likely loose some of the inky (noise free) blacks that make the NX1 so unique.

• On another note. Has anyone got their hands on the 50-150?

• The problem is not the sensor, is the compression: every dark tone or subtle texture is over compressed and blocky even with 80 Mb/s bitrate.

• The problem is not the sensor, is the compression: every dark tone or subtle texture is over compressed and blocky even with 80 Mb/s bitrate.

Cool, now move from talks to objective results. Get any H.265 research software and show on samples this issue, if you will find it, of course.

• When at home i upload a test clip. A more precise answer maybe is that the implementation of the actual encoder is not the best nor fine tuned, not a problem of the bitrate itself.

• Does anyone know how to adjust audio levels on this camera while recording?

• Samsung NX1 named Best Professional Compact System Camera

Samsung Electronics has announced that the Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) awarded Samsung with Best Compact System Camera (CSC) Professional for the Samsung NX1. The Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) Awards are recognised as the most coveted photo and imaging awards worldwide.

http://samsung.it-online.co.za/?p=474

• the price has gone back to 1500

• Any rumors about h265 support yet?

• Firmware 1.30

Still Photo Enhancements:

• Enhanced AF performance in low light condition
    • Enhanced AF performance in backlit and spot light
    • Enhanced AF performance in the corners when utilizing 16-50mm PZ lens
    • Enhanced Face Detection AF performance
    • Enhanced AF performance in movie mode
    • Added “Zone AF” mode
    • Increased the size of AF to 5 steps in AF “Area Size”
    • No time limitation in Bulb mode
    • Increased the time-lapse to 3000 shots
    • Includes 4 most popular Pro Suggest presets (Cinematic, Memories, Gorgeous night, & High Speed)
    • Simplified EXIF data preview

Video Recording Enhancements:

• Larger sensor read out data size with improved FHD quality up to 60P
    • Time code added features:
      • Count Up: Rec run / automatic restart when shooting / Free run
      • Time Notation [Manual time setting (Hour/Min/Sec/Frame), Internal camera time]
      • Internal time / External recorder
      • Drop frame / Non-drop frame
    • “1920x1080 (120)” setting in the Movie Size Menu for easy access
    • Auto Mic Control On/Off
    • Histogram & Digital Level is displayed during standby / recording mode
    • Capture individual 4K frame forward & backward with precision (Embedded EXIF data in jpeg)
    • Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode (Capable of setting to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode).
    • Remains in Stand By mode after recording

Connectivity Enhancements:

• JPEG, RAW (JPEG preview only), & Video transfer via WiFi (RAW files are converted to JPEG thumbnail with Picture Wizard setting embedded and then transfer to smartphone for preview only.)
    • Introducing NEW Samsung Remote Studio software (Download via launcher, Full control of NX1 through USB)
    • Supports Tizen OS TV connection
  • Larger sensor read out data size with improved FHD

What does this mean? they're incorporating more of the physical space of the sensor and making bigger files?

• I'm guessing it means it's doing less skipping/binning in 1080p modes? I hope this doesn't affect the amazing rolling shutter performance in 1080p.

I'm most curious about:

"MF Responsiveness mode"- is this a linear response for the native lenses' fly-by-wire focusing? This could make them useful for rack/repeat focusing.

"Auto Mic Control On/Off"- is this an AGC disable?

• "MF Responsiveness mode"- is this a linear response for the native lenses' fly-by-wire focusing? This could make them useful for rack/repeat focusing.

Needs testing.

"Auto Mic Control On/Off"- is this an AGC disable?

Seems so.

• "MF Responsiveness mode"- with fly-by-wire native Samsung lens, when manually focusing can be set to response fast, medium or slow. The same amount of turning of the focus ring cause more change (in fast) or less change (in slow) as compared to the medium setting.

"Auto Mic Control On/Off"- is this an AGC disable? Yes, seems to be the case, but further testing is required.