Personal View site logo
DVD burning for playback in Europe and US
  • Hi,

I need to burn some DVDs that can be played by people who will be in Europe and US. If I burn onto a blank DVD-R that I bought in US, will it play in both European and US DVD players? Do I need to get disks that are of a certain Region?

Thanks, Matt

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • If I burn onto a blank DVD-R that I bought in US, will it play in both European and US DVD players?

Yes - as long as you make a region free dvd copy. Most (european, as AKED pointed below) dvd players can automatically read Pal or NTSC, case that your content it's not progressive and/or 1:1

Do I need to get disks that are of a certain Region?

No - just burn copy region free.
    In my experience most dvd reading problems come from encoding content with too high a bit rate.
    That's the reason many of us used toast and other similar "user friendly" soft to burn DVD discs (with a decent bit rate) IF we wanted to assure maximum compatibility throughout players... that was some years ago, honestly dunno how are things now

• Most european DVD player play PAL and NTSC. Most american DVD player only play NTSC and can not play PAL. So burn in NTSC. Regional code free. Computer and laptops of course can play both.

• Thanks guys. Okay will burn NTSC(content is progressive) and will choose Region Free in software. Is there also such a thing as a "Region Free DVD disc" or does Region Free only refer to the choice made in software when burning?

• The blank DVDs are neutral;, no region. Dvd ripping programs should have a menu to strip the dvd of region. Select "0" as region. Also you can hack your DVD or Bluray player to be region free if you get a DVD with another region:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

• Thanks guys, great info. Much appreciated!