Personal View site logo
Davinci resolve won't see Avid encoded files
  • Well, let's try over here. A client gave me some mov files encoded in Avid. I can't get Davinci Resolve to see them, which may mean they aren't supported. These files are Avin files, avc intra 100. I'm on win 7 resolve 11.3

Adobe sees theses files, quick time player sees them. I've installed every codec known to man. Here's some info from Media PLayer Classic(which won't play these files by the way)

Any help? (I don't want to re-render them in another codec)

video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1920x1080 25fps 119562kbps [V: Apples aliasdatahanterare [eng] (h264 high 4:2:2 intra L4.1, yuv422p10le, 1920x1080, 119562 kb/s)] Audio: QT PCM 48000Hz stereo 1536kbps [A: Apples aliasdatahanterare [eng] (pcm_s16be, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1536 kb/s)]

media info

General Complete name : G:\likeme\Edit RC - v79 scene 14 Avid codec.mov Format : MPEG-4 Format profile : QuickTime Codec ID : qt
    File size : 2.03 GiB Duration : 2mn 24s Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 121 Mbps Encoded date : UTC 2015-04-25 09:07:24 Tagged date : UTC 2015-04-25 09:08:44 Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video ID : 1 Format : AVin Codec ID : AVin Duration : 2mn 24s Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 120 Mbps Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 25.000 fps Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.306 Stream size : 2.00 GiB (99%) Title : Apples aliasdatahanterare

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Have you tried contacting Blackmagic Design support? They are usually pretty good with DaVinci Resolve technical support. That codec is used by Avid for capture, but is usually encoded in an mxf file. That could be your issue.

• That is not an AVID codec, even if it's exported from AVID. AVC Intra is a Panasonic codec and .mov is the wrong container for it (it should be .mxf)

Re-export as P2 (.mxf wrapper) or if you insist on .mov, export a DNxHD (AVID's codec). Of course you'll need AVID's free Quicktime extensions installed on your system.

• doesn't really matter if it's right or wrong. This is what the client insists on. It was exported with the same settings as the avid sequence. I don't control the original render.

Adobe handles it without issue. So do several other editing programs. I'm looking for a way to get davinci to handle it without a re render.

I am still waiting for a response from BM.

• Stupid question, but you have downloaded the avid le codec package from the avid website?

• @chauncy let us know what BM tells you then, we'll all learn something.

• Yes. I have downloaded every avid codec pac I could find. I am still waiting on BM. I fear they will just say they don't support the codec. I want to know if resolver 12 will.

• Have you tried forcing the extension to .mxf to see if Resolve will attempt to recognise it? It won't have any effect on the file. If not, render out an uncompressed and do what you need to do in Resolve. Let's you get on with it, I agree with the sentiments above that it's weird but better to get on than hoping Resolve will change around the problem.

• ffmpeg can read and convert that file format. It can't put 10-bit h.264 in an MXF, but it can convert to prores or to uncompressed.

• h264 high 4:2:2 intra L4.1 119562kbps might not be necessarily AVC-Intra 100 (which has a nominal bitrate of 100Mbit, as per here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVC-Intra ) So what you have is a H.264 renderout that looks like an editing codec but it is in fact non-conforming (besides the container issue). I lay blame on Media Composer for even exporting the thing in the first place, unless it was meant as delivery codec.

I suggest you try to get out of Quicktime with your A/V streams:

in QuickTime Pro player:

• load the mov

• File -> export

• Use : Lan/Internet

• Export: Movie to MPEG-4

• options:

• File format: MP4

• video: pass through

• audio: pass through

Save

See if Resolve loads the mp4 and let us know.