Personal View site logo
Geforce GTX 980 and 970
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • GTX 970

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

Yes, that last 0.5GB of memory on your GeForce GTX 970 does run slower than the first 3.5GB.

Its basically a 224 bit 3.5GB + 32 bit 0.5GB card, not a 256 bit 4GB card. How much will this affect 2.5k and 4k editing performance in practice, though?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876802/nvidia-plans-geforce-gtx-970-driver-update-for-memory-performance-concerns.html

The Nvidia employee who said the company was looking into a GTX 970 driver that would "tune what's allocated where to further improve performance" has updated his post to remove the claim after it was covered by several publications, including PCWorld, PC Gamer, and PC Perspective.
  • have just installed an asus 970 on my desktop. i7 3820 32g ram. playback is smooth @ full res. will start editing a 40min project soon and will report back on any issues.

• I would be interested to hear if DaVinci Resolve playback is smooth in 4k with a GTX 970M (3GB) version.

• @gmc Not realtime, but about 20 fps with 4k prores or 15 fps with cDNG with 1 node on each. Don't expect adding any more nodes, 3d tracking, or OFX without significant loss of fps. Go for at least the 970m 6gb version if you can, or 980m with 8gb would be best for laptops.

• So, there is no 960/970/980 with 6 or 8 GB out there, only for laptops. does anybody know why that is? that means a 970m could actually outperform the GTX970? :-D

• Thanks monowav for that reply, hence the bootleneck is more the GPU RAM as it seems. I am looking to buy a laptop and this is very useful info. The difficulty is really to find one below 3kg and a decent battery (>70Wh), with that spec, as I want to use it to edit projects during long cross - atlantic flights.

• Also, does anybody know if I should look more into Nvidia Quadro cards for mobile (laptop) 4K cDNG editing (DaVinci) or the GTX 970/980m cards? Hard to find any info on this, also the review sites have different benchmarks for these two line of GPU's (for the GTX always gaming benchmarks are used, for the Quadro's always some CAD benchmarks). difficult to tell which one is more suited as a benchmark for editing in DaVinci.

• The quadro card won't do anything for resolve. They are made for 3d programs and resolve won't utilize their price point. The 8gb 980m will probably be your best bet. And do not rely on battery power to do coloring work. Heavy gpu processing is detrimental on your battery's health and the hardware and will shorten your laptops life so make sure to plug in. Powerful laptops are supposed to be portable desktops. Basically a desktop you can move.

• @fatpig the 970 will run circles around the 980m

• Definitely look into the GTX 900 series since adobe CC 2014. 2015 release will be coming soon. When it comes to video editing and color gradlinig, Speedgrade, resolve etc, the 900 series provides much more performance than the quadro series. If CAD is you goal you'd be better of with a quadro card. Even in terms of price quadro cards are a simple overkill.

Also keep in mind that with the new 900 series hdmi 2.0 is supported and power consumption is well-optimized.

I see that lots of ppl are worried about the shared 4 GB of ram at the 970. Most 4k editing in premiere for example will be CPU intensive. Working with gpu effects such as scaling or color correction will barely reach 1,5 gb of ram.

• Thank you all for that Info! Very helpful. I now have identified 2 Laptops, the Aorus X3 plus (970m with 6GB) and the Gigabyte P35x V3 (980m with 8GB). Both in a similar price range, but the Gigabyte has more power under the hood. The Aorus is very light and portable. Anybody here has experience with those 2?

• Get one with best cooling system :-)

• What about Sager NP8652/Clevo P650SG? It has 980m(4GB) and there is option of a decent 4K Sharp IGZO monitor. I read that its cooling system is better than that of Gigabyte. I am using Gigabyte P34G (GTX760M) and it gets quite hot during rendering.

• Yes, as Vitaliy says cooling is a huge issue - but the general consensus in the reviews seems to be that all the manufacturers are basically suffering the same from efficient cooling. I have considered also the Clevo P650SG and P651SG which is available as Schenker XMG in Europe - the nice thing about those is that they can be configured via the webpage (www.mysn.de). The one thing holding me back on the XMG P505 Pro is if I invest in a 980m it should have 8GB and not 4GB.

• GTX 980 TI Install on Hackintosh OSX 10.10.5 Beta Works

You've tried running the latest 10.10.4 web driver pkg on a 10.10.5 beta install and got the message of failure 'Mac OSX Version is not compatible... 10.10.5 (14F6a) is not supported...' ? Here's the solution;-

Fairly Simple:

1. download the latest 10.10.4 Web drivers (WebDriver-346.01.03f01.pkg) beta Found at http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Qu...6.01.03f01.pkg

2. Using Pacifist force Install the above pkg and after the installs finished then EXTRACT the kexts etc using Pacifist to any named drive/ folder.

3. Open & Edit boot plist with text wrangler and type kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 into your boot plist, SAVE & close.

4. Like above, but this time run Terminal and type in: sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1" ENTER (-v if you want to verbose screen)

5. Now goto your extracted drive/folder where the kexts etc are and find the kext 'NVDAStartup.kext', right click SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS, open Contents and seek the file 'info.plist'.

6. Open & edit this 'info.plist' with text wrangler and change under NVDARequiredOS to read 14F6a (doing this will force 10.10.5 compatibility)

7. SAVE & CLOSE Text wrangler.

8. Grab Kext Wizard or a similar Kext installer, run it and drag across all the 10.10.4 Web drivers files (which includes your edited NVDAStartup.kext) from your extracted named Drive/folder across into Kext Wizard's >Installation tab>'Select Kexts to Install'. Install them all.

9. Click on Kext Wizard's Maintenance tab and checkbox System/Library/Extensions>Repair Permissions and Rebuild Cache and Execute. Close Kext Wizard.

10. Reboot, all should be cool. All should be working perfectly. You'll see something like this for example under 'About this Mac';-

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) or whatever Processor blah blah Memory blah blah Startup disk blah blah Graphics NVIDIA Graphics Device 6143 MB (nice)

Viola!

PS if you have any probs on certain motherboards where you have to install without drivers first, then boot with nv disable forget internal card if you have one. Also check your bios is sorted to boot first the gtx (PEG)

• I just built a new editing system. Here are my specs: I7 5860K Geforce 980 Asrock X99 Extreme 4 16gb DDR 4 Ram

Is anyone finding that the new Premiere Pro CC 2015, doesn't use the CUDA? Seems my new pc is not so fast on exports as it should be. Yes, Mercury playback is enabled, but when rendering and I'm looking at my Geforce cards, it doesn't get very much usage, as 3%? Anyone else have this problem? Does Premiere Pro CC 2015 not use the CUDA as much because of the lack of support for Maxwell CUDA?

• It uses it fine. Some operations and codecs use it more than others.

• @smoke23

Encoding actually can be faster on modern CPUs if all their features made for this are used.

• @smoke23 I could be totally wrong, but I remembered that when i set up a PC system using Premiere in 2012-2013, I had to manually enter the graphics card on on some list on the PC, in order to make the card be recognized and make CUDA work. Not sure if I'm remembering this right or if it still needs to be done, but perhaps google that to see if others have a solution in detail. Try the Adobe Premiere board/user group - the people there often know a lot about particulars with Adobe products. Good luck.

• I think the GPU card list that we all had to enter our model into, to get PPro to recognize is a thing of the past. In the Mac version of CC 2014 the GPU sniffer is built in and not as picky as before. Google "Studio one GPU" for a ton of detail on the GPU issues with Mac and PCs on Premiere.

• @smoke23 Graphic card usage on rendering as it seems also depends on which codec you are rendering.

• My previous build was: AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core 2.6 12 GB DDR2 Geforce 450 2 -Western Digital Black drive 640gb - Raid 0 1 - SSD Kinston 120gb

New system: I7 5820k Asus X99 Extreme 4 16gb DDR4 Ram Geforce 980

It just seemed like Premiere Pro CC2014 & CC would take more advantage of my Geforce 450 GPU when rendering. With Premier Pro CC2015/CC2014, the 980 barely goes to 1-2% when rendering. I'm mostly exporting GH4 h.264 files. I didn't know if they changed something. I read here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1581679 that:

"The GTX 980 and 970 use Maxwell CUDA. This is not supported by Premiere Pro CC 2014, After Effects CC 2014 or Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014."

This plugin is suppose to help: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1243687

Any insight to this?

• Gpu will just be used once suitable effects are applied to your timeline.

• http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/09/22/notebooks/ According to nvidia desktop version of 970/980 are coming for notebooks/laptops

• I just built a new system. Here are my specs: I7 5820k (OC to 4.2) Asus X99 Extreme 4 16gb DDR4 Ram Geforce 980 2 WD 650 Black Drive (Raid 0) (Project Files) 2 WD 2 TB Drive 1 External 1TB ESATA (Video Previews)

I'm having trouble with 4K playback with GH4 files and Phantom 3 Pro 4K with Premiere Pro CC 2015. I can playback at full resolution and it will start to drop frames with Mercury Playback installed. DJI Phantom 3 Pro 4K files drops frames at full, 1/2 res, and 1/4 resolution around 5 seconds into the clip, it drops frames. Any settings I can change? I'm running Premiere CC 2015.

I installed the CUDA 7.5 dev. kit. And updated to GPU-z 0.8.5. CUDA is now enabled. I deleted all preview files and started fresh. Same thing. Software playback plays GH4 & DJI Phantom 3 files fine, no dropped frames. When I enable mercury playback engine, it stutters and drops frames. Any help with this?