Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • 87 points on dpreview is a great achievement! This is an excellent review - worth to read if you are deciding what you buy.

A must read for stills photographers. The dpreview team found an elegant way for NX1 to effectively increase the dynamic range for stills up to additional 5EVs.

Thanks, Mark, for posting!

• First results for NX1 on DXOmark: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Samsung/NX1

Detailed measurements are not posted yet.

• Yep, but they measure it worse than D7200 (using usual Sony sensor)

phantom12.jpg
    480 x 432 - 48K
  • @markr041 April 9

I'm surprised how much sharper in details is samsung nx1 as gh4. Is this really a 1:1 comparison ( lens, focus, resolution)??

• There is a hot debate about the DxOMark measurement results on dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3826045 . Most NX1 owners there think that the sensor should be rated higher .

I am wondering whether it is not the excellent S-lens that is a major contributor to the famed NX1 picture quality (daylight and RAW). Personally, I am happy with the NX1, it works for me very well. And, D7200 is hard to beat - it is not only because of the Sony sensor, it is also due to Nikon's know-how and experience.

Also keep in mind that lab tests, even if done properly, cannot represents the human experience accurately. I am joining the club that thinks that the subjective results for NX1 are slightly better than what the numbers suggest.

• Since DxOMark rated the GX7 with the Olympus 75mm having less resolution than the E-P1 (it is not a typo) with the same lens, I don't trust in their judgement anymore.

• Canon sensors are also significantly underrated on DxOMark due to how they value the DR. Canon's peak value at ISO 100 tend to be lower than competition, but the values over ISO 400 or so are putting the rest in dust. You can see it when you look at their own DR over ISO measurement chart.

I have already wondered how much is Nikon donating to their lab.... (sarcasm, could not help it...)

• @DMZ

DXO has little secret.

Their main method was developed in the days of pristine (almost) raw images. They used them to make measurements and they had been pretty accurate.

Now all and every raw images are processed in camera (to look better), all manufacturers know about importance of it in competitive market. How this processing affects measurements is very hard to tell. It is more like arms race, I think. They try to measure as good as they can and companies try to look as good as they can.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev : That's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

• No question the NX1 is more detailed at 4K. Anyway around the video time limit or is it totally baked in?

• Music video that rented my NX1 for slowmo sequences.

• An audio challenge for the NX1 in a NYC Park, where drums, bells and jazz are prevalent.

• Anyone wanna buy my bmpcc? LOL I think I'm about to switch to team Sansung.

• I made the switch from the BMPCC to the NX1 and couldn't be happier with my choice. That said, the NX1 is of course not perfect, just a better choice for me for how I want to use a camera for video.

• How do you use it?

• So far, corporate video in mostly avaliable light. I dial in the look I want in camera and then I don't have to color correct. So my goal is to shoot as close to the final image and get away with as little lighting as I possible. The image straight of the camera looks finished to me and makes the NX1 painless to use. I like the fact that what I see is what get. I was never sure what the final image would be when shooting with the BMPCC until after I color corrected it, which is a bit to risky IMHO. The flip side is when lite correctly the image after cc from the BMPCC can be incredible - just too much work to get there for me.

• So you're not using the Gamma DR profile?

• So, how long before Samsung releases a log profile for the NX1?

• @joethepro I was wondering that myself - it's bound to happen though as Samsung has been 'kitchen sink' with their other product lines

With this flagship model, Samsung has created a very compelling reason for SLR lovers to consider a mirrorless model, and for fans of camera makers with long histories and hundreds of compatible lenses, to possibly try something new.

Most importantly, the NX1 delivers very high image quality with its 28MP BSI APS-C CMOS sensor. BSI stands for "back side illuminated", a technology that improves low light performance by keeping the sensor's light-capturing elements unobstructed by circuitry. As a result, the camera produces very little noise in images shot at high ISO settings, and you can crank it up to 25600.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/samsung/nx1/samsung-nx1-smart-camera-review.html

phantom21.jpg
    800 x 423 - 43K
  • @ chopnshoot - no Gamma DR here. I have tried it and even tried it again today in a high contrast scene where I expected it to be preferred, but the colors where not what I was looking for. Normal Gamma with adjustments to the standard picture profile is now my starting point. I'm still tweeting the settings, but I like what see when I increase the RGB color settings, after turning down the contrast and sharpness. Basically color correcting in camera.

• Are you saying the Gamma DR isn't capturing accurate color info or that you its too hard to grade?

• My process is to tweak either Gamma with an in-camera image adjustments, which winds up being the final look.

In this context, I like the colors I get out of normal Gamma with the limited adjustments I can make in-camera as compared to Gamma DR.

Gamma DR colors may be accurate after they are graded in the computer and the dynamic range may be greater, but with the limited in-camera image adjustments, Normal Gamma is my preference when it comes to a shoot-edit-no-grade workflow.

• This is a short video of some shots I took with the NX1 while spending the day in Boston.