Personal View site logo
Canon XC10, 1" 4K Hybrid camera
  • 87 Replies sorted by
  • Wow, has Canon fallen off a cliff?

I like the ergonomics and the bitrates, but that's it!

• Is anyone else curious why this supposed entry level camera into the eos cinema line gets 4k but the C100 MkII doesn't? That's what I find the most odd...

• Huff! What on earth are canon doing? I used to be a right little canon slut ! but this camera does NOT make me excited. I bet a pack of bubble gum they release a XC30 and a XC50 (c300, c500) with the XC50 having interchangeable lens system. I sold my 7D mk1 and 50D for a Hacked GH2 followed by the GH4...and i will never look back! I guess with a 1"Cmos there shouldn't be any MOIRE PATTERNS in video....but hey i aint going hold my breath!

• I just can't get excited about this camera. It's got $999 bargain bin pricing written all over it. The video doesn't do anything either.

• Currently there are more cameras than you can shake a stick at which can 95% beat the XC10 for much much less (RX10/LX100/FZ1000), or 200% beat it for a similar price. (GH4/A7s/NX1)

So you have to fit into a very weird tiny little niche, not to want either side of those two alternative options and instead want the XC10.

And once the Sony RX20 is released I bet that camera will then beat the XC10 125% for half the price. Which will leave the XC10 with no niche whatsoever to fill, not even the little tiny weird one it might fill right now.

Heck, it could be argued the Sony AX100 (with Sony XLR-K2M) and Sony PXW-X70 (which is getting the 4K update at the same time the XC10 is shipping) are already beating the XC10 by 125% for less/same.

• @DrDave - agreed that to make this thing without an interchangeable lens is a sin, but the 4k codec they have inside it walks all over the LX100. It also shoots the BBC HD gold standard, 50Mbits in 422 color space. It will sell bucket loads..

• Xenocide38, yeah I too am mystified by all the praise for it.... damn blind Canon fanboys I reckon! I wrote a very critical blog post about it yesterday: http://ironfilm.co.nz/canon-cinema-eos-xc10-shoots-4k-video-and-has-1-inch-sensor/

You did however forget to mention one point units favour over the FZ1000, the XC10 has an ND filter. But.... only at ONE setting! Gee... another little fail by Canon

• If Panasonic were to update the FZ1000 firmware with improved 1080p codec and v-log, they'd pretty much stop this camera dead in it's tracks considering the price point.

• I think it is wasteful to make such a cam without interchangeable lenses. Now, some Canon lenses are great, of course, but the Zeiss labelled lens on the ax100 is going to be tough to beat.

• So much praise and excitement for the XC10 on twitter and various blogs and I just don't get it. I don't see any added value that Canon brings to the table that justifies their outrageous prices. I was so worked up I had to make a video about it.

• i think canon has high spectation for this new form factor. Personly i think its a very good option, has the right tools for this segment.

Also has very tight competition again from sony, but there is something in its design that is more appealing than sony versions.

From my personl opinion this little bastard will emerge good, but they have targeted at this segment, this people count each dollar they invest, so, sony will become a good option, if they dont come from canon.

• that's 8bit btw. Yes the codec does have impressive specs...but it's attached to that boring lens. And I believe the 5 axis is for 1080 only.

• Ermm - 4k 4:2:2 at 305Mbs plus 5 axis stabilisation?

• I would be interested in something better than than the ax100, not sure if this is better.

• 4k focal range really starts from 27mm, and no zoom rocker that I see.
    If there's no rocker, it could be a manual zoom lens only, which gives hope to it being parfocal.

BUT the only way to record 24p is internal 4k, none for HD or HDMI output (according to B&H website, since Canon doesn't have any descriptions for this camera on their website yet).

And why can you only record 4k on CFast cards?
    And is the lens even an 'L' Series Lens?
    At least there's ND..

• @mpgxsvcd....beautifully said !

• an FZ1000($746 current Amazon price) AND an RX10($998) AND an LX100($759). That would be $2503 in total. I rest my case.

• Do agree - rotating grip is awesome! If it had an optional strap like a camcorder - even better! If it was relocatable like Cx00 series, then even better again! Again - Panasonic - are you listening? Maybe turn your existing GH3/4 portrait-grip into a relocatable grip for the GH3 or GH4!

• ...another enigma from the pooch-screwer ! What were they thinking ? I do like the ergonomics , but why would anyone choose to pay almost 3x the price over a fz1000 or rx10 ? For the rotating grip ? That's questionable. Now if they'd put a new aps sensor with their M mount, they might have garnered my interest. But this.... is another canon-shot in the foot ! And certainly sony and panasonic have their canon-killers in the lab at this very moment ...at a third or half the price. I hope they see the beauty of the rotating grip though.

• First sample footage in that Intro video looks pretty bad. You would think they would really have made an effort to have the footage look stunning. Looks soft with low DR. The rest of the video - non-sample footage (shot with some other camera) looks fine, so you cant really blame the YT compression.

• Just looked at the specs and preorder on B&H... $2500 for what? Am I missing something? The Panasonic LX100 has the exact same features, better lens and larger sensor for less than half the price.

• There is not mention about ND filter in last video

• Looks like this will work with the Atomos Shogun:

Atomos have just announced support for the XC-10

• Direct to ProRes/DNxHR 4K recording (up to 2160p30) and ProRes/DNxHD recording (up to 1080p60). This means users do not have to transcode the XC-10′s internal recordings ready for editing in Apple FCPX, Adobe Premiere or Avid Media Composer.
    • The 4K recording, apart from being the native codec for NLEs, is also 4:2:2 color accuracy and 10-bit color depth that enables the freedom in post production to integrate 10-bit effects and overlays.
    • A 7″ monitor almost six times the area of the XC-10′s 3″ display, is the best and only way to truly set up Pro shots with professional features not available on the XC-10 like 3D LUTs, 2:1 & 1:1 zoom for critical focus, vectorscope, false color and the ability to have ongoing color calibration using an optional Spyder unit.
    • Ability to tag footage on the fly as Favorite/Reject ready for immediate integration into Final Cut Pro, Adobe or other NLE’s
    • Long record times onto affordable and reliable SSD media as opposed to the more expensive $/GB media option on the XC-10.
    • With built in HDMI to SDI signal conversion the Shogun/XC-10 combination can perfectly integrate into an existing SDI workflow
    • The breakout XLR connection gives the Shogun/XC-10 combination both balanced analog XLR audio and 48V phantom power options for condenser microphone solutions (at bottom of article)