Personal View site logo
DJI Phantom 3
  • 73 Replies sorted by
  • @PauloTeixeira I think they need a new gimbal for mft camera module too since the weight will be much heavier.

• @leonbeas Same camera internals as the Inspire 1, jello is well contained with proper application of ND filters to increase shutter angle. 4K bitrate is approx. 60Mbps.

• As we know, DJI is now part of M43 and we also know that the 4K camera head on the Inspire 1 is interchangeable. Perhaps we could see an M43 option for the Inspire 1? That would be one extra way it can separate itself from the Phantom 3.

It's also true that you can only put so much weight on the Inspire 1 but lenses such as the Panasonic 20mm and the zoom pancake lens could be small and light enough to go along with an M43 head.

• I'd really like to know also the difference in quality between the two cameras (apart pixel resolution), because the difference in price is quite big. Considering the advanced in a price tag of 100-200$ the professional should be around 400-500$, that means a price around 1/3 of the whole phantom 3 pro! Drone, remote, lightbridge all packed in the remaining 800-900$, which is a surprise when you know that lightbridge alone is around 1K$

• Anyone knows how the footage is recorded codec bitrate, etc? How is the rolling shutter at 4k?

And such SMALL details

• is monitor included?

You do not need one, it uses Lightbridge system, so you connect smartphone or tablet to remote and get HD picture.

• is monitor included?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Walkera is impressive and Align seems pretty interesting as well, there's no doubt it will be a hard battle for years to come. It should be great for the consumer as value will continue to grow. That being said, I think DJI's move into the camera space caught many off guard including GoPro and it's given them an integration edge and allowed them a little breathing space to keep themselves in front of the market.

I think the days of flying DSLRs will probably come to an end sooner than most realize. There will always be the tinkerers & engineers who half-play and half-film with their octo-monstrosities, but who really wants to invest in a $3500 camera/lens/gimbal kit that is very easily destroyed if a poor solder joint lets go? And who wants to lug around suitcases of gear if a backpack kit can deliver nearly the same shot?

I honestly think it would be better for the drone companies (and existing camera mfrs) to develop an aerial standard with USB control interface than to try and become camera companies. With a standards-based approach we'd instead get to choose a little Panasonic, Olympus or Black Magic box designed to fit a simple gimbal foot of predetermined size for auto-balance with select lightweight lenses. That would leave the real imaging tech with the pro camera companies and let the drone mfrs beat each other up over pricing, reliability claims and gimmicky flying features.

• that is exactly what companies like 3DR and Yuneec want to do to DJI

Walkera is second after DJI in sales :-)

Btw, their hexacopter is still best choice, and they had their own camera (not very good, but) well before DJI even though about it.

• @deceres Steve Jobs once said "if you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will," and that is exactly what companies like 3DR and Yuneec want to do to DJI. DJI are playing long-ball within the market to stay one step ahead of the competition, which is smart IMO.

I think it's safe to say the Inspire will remain in their top RTF drone slot and will probably see a bump in value very soon, either through better available camera tech or a reduced price (or both). Besides, that's what the removable gimbal mount was designed to accommodate in the first place - an upgrade path.

• I think that yesterday DJI killed the I1 appeal... a consumer product like P3 now has the SAME camera, SAME controller, SAME app, SAME light bridge.... for less than half the price. DJI marketing director should make a long zen meditation before deciding to kill a product line appeal only 3 months after market launch

• I owned a Phantom 1 that I setup as a aerial video rig with 3 axis gimbal and gopro 3+be and downlink. Then I sold it hoping to build myself something better. It did not work out so well (motor failure at 300m high). This is really good deal, especially with 3axis gimball and the HD down link, something you can only get with dji so far. And if something goes bad you can blame dji! Very nice

• I really wish I was going to NAB this year like I did last year. Would have been nice to pay a visit to DJI's booth.

• @jazzroy The Inspire will have the capacity to lift the speculated m43 camera system when it becomes available. That being said, I'll be picking up one of these unless they drop the Inspire price significantly or announce an upgraded camera module at NAB.

• Headed to Vegas for NAB for the next week, so ... how many of these & other 'copters will be hovering swooping and generally streaking around those cavernous buildings of the trade show? I'm guessing more than one or two at a time ...

Neil

• now I just wonder why I should still buy a DJI Inspire, double the price, but not double the features.

• Cool stuff. I just hope the laws don't outlaw these things.