Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Testing the NX1 with the NX 60mm macro lens, including manual focus pulls.

• Just a head up on the new NX1 firmware update. I have been told by a source that it's coming within the next few days....

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-samsung-nx1-firmware-update-coming-within-days

• I hope it will be possible to move and set the focus square with buttons in video recording (like the GH4) and not only with the touchscreen. The 4k crop like the NX500 for more reach with zoom lenses would be great too !

• and 200fps slow mo option!

• Wow, did you have the IS turned off after 40 seconds (the subject=squirrel)? Those jitters are worse than any I've seen on my GH3 using the the Panny 35-100 (which is known for its hand-held 'micro-jitters' before the most recent lens firmware upgrade).

I downloaded the 3840x2160 version of the file from Vimeo, and both Mercalli and the Warp Stabilizer in PP did a great job of stabilizing the squirrel. First time ever 'playing' with 4K footage. I wanted to do some tests, so, thanks to Mark for posting this. I only have a GH3 but I rented a GH4 from Lens Rentals for 4 days ($65) since my daughter will be swimming in the NE Y Champs meet at MIT in Boston this weekend. The GH4 arrives 2morrow. Not much time to get familiar with it before the meet early Saturday AM.

• No, the result of a badly configured cheap lightweight tripod. I had locked down the camera for the bird feeder (for which any tripod will do), then saw the squirrel and loosened up the vertical and horizontal screws. So inspect the IQ; OIS tests still need to be done.

• If a person does a Nikon F (or even Canon EF... ) to Samsung NX adapter with built in good ND filters (with a zero ND setting too would be ideal) and major NLE's add easy H.265 support then I'll find the NX1 incredibly hard to resist!

As being able to rig up a Samsung NX1 together with "built in" variable ND filters would make it an incredible set up for run and gun work indoors/outdoors, such as weddings. Putting it that bit closer to being a decent competitor the video cameras of the world such as C100/AF100/FS700/FS7/C300/etc but at a much much lower price.

Samsung doesn't even need to do any more other major improvements (though simple things like removing the recording limit would be nice too...), just if those two things happened tomorrow I'd then get a NX1.

Sadly neither Fotodiox or HolyManta make make such a variable ND adapter for Samsung NX mount. Only for Micro Four Thirds and Sony E mount.

• Already sold 1 GH4 to get NX1 (for a bargain price), so far I like it very much! I got Nikon lens so just share them between my other GH4 lol Too bad about no SB support on NX though.

The total cost of 1 GH4 and 1 NX1 cost me less than a 2nd hand A7s :)

• Is it possible to start recording movie with SAF with the new firmware? I tried it in showroom yesterday and it couldn't but I didn't check the firmware version.

• @kkfok If you want to shoot video in SAF (or MF) you first go into video mode. Then you can switch to SAF by pushing the Fn button. When you push the record button to start recording it will shoot SAF. Or, if you want MF you push the AF button in video mode. If you just push the record button without first going into video mode, it will default to CAF. This is true for all firmwares.

• Mark, thanks very much for your help. Really hope that someone will make an underwater housing for it.

• The source told me Samsung is testing such a camera and still checking if it makes sense to bring it to market.

1. 10% lighter body compared to nx1, slightly different grip
    2. Lower MP
    3. 60fps at 4k, full sensor readout
    4. swivel display
    5. 1.5 stop better dr and high iso compared to nx1
    6. A Samsung led video lamp is also in development to bundle with nx1-lx

For me it looks more like rumor to fill up lack of rumors.

• Do you have the source for this?