Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X Series 4:│Moon T8│Spizz T7
  • 691 Replies sorted by
  • I think you are probably right about that, but I also didn't like a lot of what my attempt at defringing was doing, so here is a comparative screenshot from the GH4 without the defringing:

GH4-Graded_NoDefringe.Still006.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 387K
  • skintones look better on GH2:) It may be a lens-look difference, though.

• I shot a little project for a friend a few days ago (I mentioned a few posts above this one), and I'm starting to put it together. The Moon T8'd GH2 had the benefit of a Rokinon 85mm lens at about 1.8, while the GH4 shooting 4K had a Nikkor AIS 50mm 1.4 at about 1.8 on an RJ Speed Booster. The old Nikkor just isn't as sharp as the Rokinon, and it also suffers from some chromatic aberration. I did my best to de-fringe the GH4 footage, but it still looks a bit of a mess -- I need a more current 50mm lens... At any rate, here are a couple of screen grabs for comparison:

GH2-Graded108Saturation.Still005.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 337K
    GH4NotCloseUp-Graded.Still004.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 387K
  • @driftwood thanks for always improving the GH2 waiting for T9

• The screen grab of T9 is with Vibrant profile, right?

• @Driftwood: T9 screen grab looks absolutely amazing as anticipated, looks to me like you've done some work on the noise issue tremendiously Nick, loving the look. Can't thank you enough for your efforts in making this little camera of ours a superb cam. Preciate you.

• @driftwood, that screen grab looks fantastic, I can't wait to try T9!

I did an interview shoot with T8 yesterday, and at ISO 250 I was getting some noise in the guy's black shirt. I'm beginning to think I need to do some higher ISO testing to see if there is something to what @Maya was saying a while ago about 1000-1600 (I think it was) being the sweet spot for T8. I played around with that a bit after I read Maya's comment, and I have to say it looked a lot better than I expected.

Any suggestions from anyone? There is a lot I love about my GH2 with Driftwood's settings on it, but sometimes it would be nice to see a bit less noise compared to the perfectly clean footage from the GH4 in the same shoot...

I was shooting with a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 on the GH2 with T8, and as usual the client commented more favorably on the GH2 footage than he did on the GH4 footage... Lol. The GH4 had a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 on a Vitaliy RJ Speed Booster, and I thought it looked fantastic, even though the client had more favorable comments for the GH2/Moon T8 footage. :)

EDIT: I was looking at the footage at the shoot on an old laptop the client had handy. Now that I'm looking at the footage on my good monitor, the noise in the black shirt is MUCH less than I thought, and most of the noise I'm seeing is in that normal red channel. It's not so bad. I do think I want to invest in some NeatVideo color panels though so I can shoot some footage of that every time and create my noise reduction profile for the specific setup I'm shooting.

• awesome news driftwood:] any hints about it? how it differs from other moons? Thank you!

• I did re-upload the 24p Moon T4/T7/T8 comparison test:

http://wikisend.com/download/400472/TEST_MOON_T4_T7_T8.zip

If your browser still complains about security thread, mine did not. Original files, each 5 seconds.

BTW, i had recently camera freezes with Moon T7 in HBR-Mode/Pal on the recommended fast 64gig cards. Did use Pasadena Audio hack and 384kbs for audio bandwith.

• looking forward driftwood, thanks in advance!

• moon t9 is nearing completion... apologies for delay - still fine tuning HBR.

moon-t9-is-coming.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 267K
  • Gh2 whit moon, pancake 20 and 14-140 anamorphic la7200

• @aklumix, so far I have found Moon T8 to be excellent for 60P, much better than the other hacks I've tried. Moon T8 is a winner for me.

• Just got back from E Africa. Holiday safari. T8 on 720 50P. Hundreds of clips, manual settings. T8 performed faultlessly. I took 'SanityX' in case of problems but it was not required.

• I have been using everything put out by Driftwood in the past. However, I am more interested in 720 60p now in comparison to 1080 24p. Would Driftwood Moon T8 be the recommended setting for all around quality 60p? If not what others would you recommend?

• @matt_gh2 Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

• @KeyserSoze1001 The FAQs on this site have a step by step on how to hack GH2. You can find FAQs on top of thia sites's page. You're in for some good times and great footage. Moon T7 is one of the more popular hack setting choices, and a great place to start. Welcome aboard.

• Hello, new here, but was hoping to get some help in the right direction. Just recently bought a GH2 & wanting to hack it, can someone shoot me a pm or something on how to put the hack on my camera. I'm looking at the Spizz T7 and the Moon T7. Also @Gardner, nice work. Thanks, look forward to posting some stuff soon.

• Not a fan of rap that much anymore but paid work is paid work! Here's a music video I shot two days ago with Spizz T7 once again.

• Super short 'action sequence' test.

• @Gardner, thanks for the info, I did find the Dogme 95 project to be really engaging! Something about the old sounding audio working well with the visuals.

I didn't see your answer about the trailer before, thanks for that also!

• @Brumbazz Not sure but all the footage was handheld and technically there was no special FX :)

• @Gardner, are you sure slow mo and stabilization are allowed under Dogme 95?

Nice clip though :-)

• @arson519 Shoot high frames, slow it down, and stabilize! Slow MO makes it easier to stabilize without all the distortion, even though I tend to lean more towards the "shaky cam" look for some pieces, I use this stabilization technique when I film my weddings!