Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @DMZ No problem, good to clarify that point. I weight them and here the comparison

NX1: Body only: 635 gram With 16-50: 1278 gram 16-50: 643 gram

GH4: Body only: 588 gram With 12-35: 955 gram 12-35: 367 gram

Clearly to see, that the bodies are almost the same weight. Just the 16-50 is almost twice as heavy as the 12-35.

Playd around last night some more. I really like the menu structur amd the graphics of the menu. Very easy and very clear.

Interesting is the I-function of the 16-50. When you press this button (each time to switch) or the up down on the real wheel, you can adjust with the front ring the aperture, the ISO, +/- light compensation, white balance or magnification on the screen. This way you do not have to search for the different buttons of the body but have it all at one spot. Very clever.

Getting the SD card out of the slot is a little difficult, for the lid is much closer to the slot than at the GH4. This way you do not have much space and to grab the SD card it is a little harder.

• I just upgraded to v1.2. So far, everything looks good. Yep, 3 gamma settings now. Haven't tested them yet so cannot comment much. By far the biggest thing with 1.2, and Samsung didn't mention this on the goody list, is that 1.2 fixes (at least after prelim testing) an incredibly annoying exposure drift bug. The NX1 used to hunt and drift its exposure in FULL MANUAL mode when panning or tilting from high exposure to low exposure areas. This was a topic of consternation among users, so much so that I famously demanded Vitaliy give me a Russian man hug to help me get through the stress induced by this bug. The camera was essentially unusable for serious shooting in video mode. My other favorite improvement in 1.2 is the overlays. Some might think it's lame, but I live by the rule of thirds, and prior to v1.2 the tic tac toe overlay would vanish when you hit REC. I didn't like that, but now it's solved. So, generally, Samsung has again upped its game and added some great new functionality to the NX1. UHD also has 24p mode instead of just 30p. I'll post more as I explore the new features.

• I just upgraded to 1.2, too, but the 3 gamma settings doesn´t work. I can´t realize any changes. I know, that I can´t use the gamma setting and the picture style wizard at the same time. I can´t set a gamma mode:-(

Edit: My fault, I can only the the results in video preview mode. Now we have for each mode (photo and Video) a seperate picture-style on the fly. Nice ! :-)

• @ brianl, can you confirm scope 2.35:1 Overlays are now on the camera?

• One thing I just noticed in the Manual, it says that with a 3D Lens it can record 3D footage in 1080p. I wonder how that looks and if there is a way to export and edit the footage for 3D.

• geoffcbasset I will have to check on that, I've noticed in the the previous firmware the vf wasn't wysiwyg in terms of aspect ratio. For now, all I can say it's the same tic tac toe overlay from the previous firmware that used to shut off once you hit REC.

• Nevermind! Found confirmation in the manual! :)

NX1.jpg
    462 x 486 - 112K
  • Manual Also Describes updated video functions:

Looks like the flattest possible image would be attained by setting it to Gamma DR, then hitting [disp] to drop the contrast and sharpness to minimum levels!

gammasettings.jpg
    1258 x 392 - 201K
  • That looks pretty flat, y'all.

• Where the branches and the sky meet looks a little weird with the lut, otherwise looks nice!

• 120 fps mode with surfer. Can't wait to see what this looks like with the higher bitrate option.

• I really want to love this camera. But I'm seeing strobing in a lot of footage, people's movements look a little staccato / jerky. Maybe it's the shutter in that particular footage, or playback on my machine.

Anyone else seeing it?

• @TwitHerb: I have no idea of your experience, whether you are comparing NX1 to other cameras or are new to video making, so I can only say that in general all HD cameras have propensity for "strobbing," "judder," and so. Old standard resolution camcorders had not much problems with that but pretty much all DSLR/mirrorless cameras judder under certain conditions; some are more sensitive to it than others but it is always concern, as it is with film cameras.

I suggest you google this issue - several years ago, when HD DSLR's came out, it was a hotly discussed topic on many forums and there are good articles out there explaining why is it happening and solutions that mitigate this, to a degree. The causes are multiple and so the solutions.

For best results, it is useful to get a sufficient understating of the complexities.

The very short answer is: NX1 behaves pretty much the same as other competing cameras in this aspect.

If someone made a proper comparison with GH4, a7S, or other cameras, please let us know.

• I have a question for fellow NX1 owners: Is it possible to get the exact same magnify/peaking behavior via the "Ok" button that is possible when using a manual lens? It seems when a Samsung lens is attached this only gets triggered with a focus turn, and is timed to go away. I would like manual lens behavior exactly with an OIS lens attached.

• another shitty uninformed review of the nx1. http://gizmodo.com/samsung-nx1-review-a-mirrorless-camera-packing-heat-bu-1682569994

Samsung sells a crapload of cameras all around the world. But not for pros. At $1500, the new NX1 is the first Samsung cam packing enough power to be taken seriously by photography enthusiasts. It shoots 4K video and fires off super fast 15 frame-per-second bursts. It's a good camera... but maybe not good enough. SNIP

• Samsung sells a crapload of cameras all around the world. But not for pros

Small secret information - Nikon and Canon also sell more than 98% if their cameras to amateurs.

• I have been using the camera for a little while on and off now. One has to be careful with the autofocus selection. When one is right, the the focus is very good and precise though. And the camera and lens can be very sharp. When shooting a leave with snow to the dark background, the snow is blown out in brightness. Too much contrast seemingly. With a less hard contrast it looked better.

The burst is great and very fast. A pleasure to use.

From the video side I line how easy it is to get to the slow motin. Much better as in the GH4, whrete you have to change modes, switch it on and off and then look for the right setting that can do the different framerates. A little annoying.

I do not like that the h.265 makes it hard to use them, so one has to transcode them always. But I am sure this problem will be solved in the near future, when h.265 will become more popular.

Here a few pictures I have takes with it. Straight out od the camera, ony resized and slightly sharpened them after resizing to publish them here.

SAM_k-0285.jpg
    800 x 533 - 194K
    SAM_k-0268.jpg
    800 x 533 - 366K
    SAM_k-0279.jpg
    800 x 534 - 242K
    SAM_k-0326.jpg
    800 x 533 - 216K
    SAM_-k0351.jpg
    800 x 533 - 210K
    SAM_k-0118.jpg
    800 x 533 - 197K
  • @AKED Thanks for the on-going review. Nice photos!

• @AKED

Very nice stills, thanks for sharing. Wich autofocus selection do you prefer?

• I'm really in love with the video quality of this camera. What i do not like is the fact that some sort of auto gain control with noticeable noise in the audio is present. The only other person iv'e read that has this problem is @Angry_C I called Samsung and they said it was a hardware issue and got my camera replaced with a brand new one. Didn't help. I'm hoping this will be fixed in a future firmware.

• @Brother

I wonder why the other owners do not say something about the poor audio. If samsung is able to deactivate the noisegate and automatic gain control, I will be very happy. But until this happens, the audiorecording is unusable.

• Is everybody using third party lens adapters/NX1s that are modified? I could only get a "Check The Lens" message when I tried Samsung NX adapters on the NX1. A couple adapters were a complete no-go as they couldn't even attach to the lens. Any good options for Canon or Nikon F/G mount?

• I could only get a "Check The Lens" message when I tried Samsung NX adapters on the NX1.

I think you better read manual for NX1 :-) Usual for each camera you need to set menu option so it won't tell you such things.