Personal View site logo
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • @majoraxis: You got it exactly wrong when you write "Are you shooting in a controlled studio environment and looking for absolute dynamic range and color space? Once you leave the studio - it's the NX1 all the way."

In a controlled studio environment, less dynamic range is not a problem because you can light for the camera's limited dynamic range - just by making sure that nothing is so bright that it clips and nothing is so dark that shadows get crushed. (This is why the GH2 fared so well against expensive cinema cameras in the Zacuto studio shootout, and this is why Hollywood could shoot cinematic films in times when film stocks had much less dynamic range than any consumer camera today.) But once you leave the studio and shoot in environments where you can' t control the light, you will be grateful for any extra stop of dynamic range that the camera will give you, in order to avoid clipped or underexposed, video-looking images.

• Considering NX1 vs BMPCC it is best to make separate slightly flamy topic. :-)

• NX1 has more dynamic range than the BMPCC? Has this been proven?

• @ cantsin: What I was trying to communicate is if you don't have enough light with the BMPCC, which has been an issue for me shooting indoors, the BMPCC is not at its best...

When shooting outdoors, the less contrasty image and high dynamic range would be a benefit of the BMPCC.

Take it with a grain of salt that it I am preferring the NX1, I would prefer the GH4 or the A7S over the BMPCC as well. I acknowledge that others may feel completely the other way...

• Considering NX1 vs BMPCC it is best to make separate slightly flamy topic. :-)

It's actually a bad comparison. They are night and day. Best to think of NX1 as techy geek machine with bells and whistles and bmpcc as a 16mm film cam. bmpcc is crude, I had to use stand alone light meter with mine, but has good DR and of course RAW that demands serious effort to grade. It's hard to imagine two cameras with less in common. I could see someone, on the other hand, go around in circles with GH4 and NX1 -- they have more in common.

• @majoraxis @brianl

Check my post above! As you seem to ignore request.

I'll clear this topic soon.

• Samsung interview:

Firmware 1.2 is a big update to the NX1. Is this a new approach for Samsung, to continually update the product?

Yes. Our users require new functions and ask us for changes to the user interface. We gather that information and implement those requirements through firmware. Communicating with our customers is very important.

A lot of the improvements in Firmware 1.2 are focused on video. How many of your customers are using the NX1 for shooting video?

In Korea, the NX1 is being used by KBS [the Korean Broadcasting System] to shoot a drama series. They’ve replaced older, more expensive systems with the NX1, which is also much simpler. And we’ve added functions specifically designed for this use case scenario. For example, when shooting movies, you don’t always want very fast autofocus, sometimes you want a slow focus movement between two people in a scene. So we changed the AF speed options in firmware 1.2 to make it slower and smoother for video. In the USA, ‘Project Runway’ is also using the NX1 for handheld 4K video shooting.

How much of your resource is dedicated to R&D of lenses, as opposed to cameras?

We have more than 100 people working on lens R&D and I can tell you that compared to compact camera lenses, high-quality lenses for our interchangeable lens cameras require twice or three times the engineering resources. Large-diameter aspherical lens elements, for example - we can’t just buy in from somewhere else, so we develop those in-house.

also at least we hear same explanation of readout

Also the speed - 15 frames per second, and the autofocus speed which is also very fast. ...

The sensor readout is very fast - 240 frames per second. For autofocus object tracking we read at 120Hz. We can do full resolution sensor readout at 25 frames per second, and digital signal processing [with a new chip and algorithms] at 15 frames per second.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7808127857/ces-2015-samsung-interview-mirrorless-to-outsell-dslrs-in-three-years

• Very good news indeed.

I would like to make a request to Samsung for future NX cameras - please give them the ability to record 4K at 60P.

• I would like to make a request to Samsung for future NX cameras - please give them the ability to record 4K at 60P.

All future cameras from Sony, Panasonic And Samsung will record 50p and 60p in 4K and will use HEVC for compression. Some this year and most from next year.

• If they do that, merging every 2 frames together in a higher bit depth space will give us more than 8 bits to play with.

• If they do that, merging every 2 frames together in a higher bit depth space will give us more than 8 bits to play with

What you mean exactly?

• I would like a 2X crop on NX1. Please Samsung if u listening cos i love my 50mm becoming 100mm on gh's. would be an absolute joy !!!

• If you merge 50p to 25p, you average 2 frames together. Averaging 2 x 8-bit images together in a 16-bit space increases the bit-depth of the image. Iirc, both AE and Premiere can work in 16bpc.

• i don't think that's how this works

• If you merge 50p to 25p, you average 2 frames together. Averaging 2 x 8-bit images together in a 16-bit space increases the bit-depth of the image. Iirc, both AE and Premiere can work in 16bpc.

You really can't just average frames (as they contain different information).

And even adding same frames will give you maximum value of 510 = 255 + 255, hence 9 bit :-)

• When I can, I will save up and Buy the NX1. It seems like the potential of this already superb camera, once unleashed, will be second to none for a long while in terms of affordability and value.

• Anyone using the 50-150mm f2.8? I am thinking of getting it. I really like the 16-50mm f2-2.8 so far.

• Vitaly predicted: "All future cameras from Sony, Panasonic And Samsung will record 50p and 60p in 4K and will use HEVC for compression. Some this year and most from next year."

When that happens, it will be time for me to upgrade from my GH3!

I wonder whether it will be a GH5, or an NX2?

The NX1 is an impressive achievement. Samsung's lenses also get good reviews. But, the only glass I have is u43,so, I'll have to start saving right away if I'm going to need Samsung glass! I wonder if there are any used Samsung lenses on E-Bay? Hmmmmm.

Alas, there does not seem to be a NX -> u43 adapter, so, even if I found some used Samsung lenses on e-Bay, I couldn't adapt them to my GH3 anyway.

So...I'll just save up some cash for the day when it is possible to have 4k @ 60p. Maybe the GH5?

• Alas, there does not seem to be a NX -> u43 adapter, so, even if I found some used Samsung lenses on e-Bay, I couldn't adapt them to my GH3 anyway.

It makes no sense, as NX lenses are same electronically controlled as m43. You'll need some very advanced electronic adapter.

• Blackmagic URSA does 4K at 80fps. Pretty amazing, if you ask me.

• "It makes no sense, as NX lenses are same electronically controlled as m43. You'll need some very advanced electronic adapter."

Well, I bought a used Tokina 11-16 f2.8 in a Nikon mount, and it is typically electronically controlled, but I can use it just fine on the GH3. I have a Nikon -> u43 adapter with its own manual aperture control. Everything is manual, and there is little EXIF data, but...it gives me a wide-angle and I've gotten some nice stuff from it. I thought maybe it would be possible to do the same with an NX lens, but...there are no adapters, so...there must be no way to adapt an NX to u43?

Aha, when you say that NX lenses are electronically controlled, do you mean that the lenses themselves need all kinds of software correction for optical lens issues (aberration, etc)? Yeah...now I get it. I know that u43 lenses have all kinds of 'software corrections' applied...so...with an NX lens and plain adapter without electronic connections = no software corrections thus...horrible optical performance. OK. Got it.

I did some poking around on E-bay. At least Samsung lenses are less expensive than u43 (except for the 2 new 'S Series' ones. Ouch: they are expensive!) If it comes to pass that I shift from u43 to NX, I'll just have to get a set of new (or used) NX lenses at the same time.

Time to start saving!

• Yes it is how it works. And no you don't get 9 bit.

Yes you can blend frames. It doesn't matter they contain different information because the result is what an original 25p shot would look like anyhow.

I can prove the bit depth increase by averaging images together when I get home tonight with a simple program I wrote. I've done it with all sorts of originating images.

• Yes it is how it works. And no you don't get 9 bit.

Yes you can blend frames. It doesn't matter they contain different information because the result is what an original 25p shot would look like anyhow.

Please make SEPARATE topic here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/offtopic