Personal View site logo
4K : TVs General State
  • part of 4K series

What is the state of current 4K TV market?

HDMI. Around 90% of all owned TVs have only HDMI 1.4 and do not have support for HEVC playback. Read - they can play only up to 2160p30 in H.264, same 30Hz restrictions remain if you want to connect it to player or PC.

Market. Around 80% of models offered have same restrictions, only exceptions are new LG, Samsung and some Sony models. All largest Chinese low end offerings still have restrictions.

Future. Actual support for 10-bit, extended dynamic range and rec 2020 are absent. Some TVs can decode this videos and try to adjust to their usual panels.

OLED. OLED TVs are still present in premium sector and do not have 4K resolution in consumer market.

Marketing. Still focused on StupidTV features (in same horrible state mostly) and local dimming options in higher end sets. Almost all manufacturers do not make TVs with proper backlight focusing on thin edge lit models. Direct LED now is mostly territory of low end sets where very few leds are used.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • 2015 Samsung TVs lineup

Does not seems like 4K is going to the lower lines.

http://future.wikia.com/wiki/Samsung_2015_Television_Lineup

marketing is also fun

Micro Dimming > Micro Dimming Pro > Micro Dimming Ultimate > UHD Dimming

• Those are hilarious comments

• Just spent the weekend at my Daughters house and her husband bought a Samsung Curved 55" UHD TV and it looked awesome watching just good HD movies in the living room. I enjoyed the experience. Didn't get to watch any 4k specific stuff but it was a good looking image. I watched a few movies:

Jurassic Park Inception Shanghai Noon Deep Impact Fast and Furious 6 What about Bob Alien Resurrection Rush Hour Ronin

Can't remember the other movies I watched, but they all looked good. IMO it looked better than the TV he had before which was a 47" Samsung that was also very good but this one was brighter and just really clean in how it rendered the movies. I would have to agree that it would take a much larger screen for 4k to significantly improve on what I saw from the HD stuff we watched. On a 55" screen it doesn't seem necessary to have anything more than HD. I'm no expert but eventually i'll be able to watch some 4K stuff on his TV and I'll be able to judge more accurately what the perceived difference is.

• These are the best comments I ever seen :)

IMG_20141130_233916.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 155K
  • Some small thing:

Current TVs can't have both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 active at same time. Either drop in framerate or drop the HDCP. Note - all players and receivers will have HDCP 2.2 and will be requirement.

• Not so bad price - Sony XBR65X850B 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J58BEIK/

• In the end my samsung 1080p Plasma will have better image quality with its deep black and colour.

Yep, it is just that all manufacturers stopped making them. Last years margins on plasmas that sold at any significant volume were very bad.

• The thing is that resolution is overrated at least until you reach a threshold which would be 1080p for me. Considering that I never saw pixel in very big cinema screen. As from there other image parameters become more important like colour and contrast ratio. A was said above, to cut cost those manufacturers are just putting 4k screen without support for 10-bit, extended dynamic range and rec 2020 are absent. Which many 4k advocates where saying would be coming with 4k resolution for a complete image upgrade. In the end my samsung 1080p Plasma will have better image quality with its deep black and colour.

• It is a pity how marketing work on people. Today the best quality/price are plasma with colour reproduction and contrast level that are so much better, but people just want LED tv and now it will be 4k.

Biggest issue with 4K is that you need either very big screen (65" and more) or perfect people. Big LCD screen will never be very cheap (may be OLED in the future will be). Actually all manufacturers push 49-55" range. And perfect people are quite rare.

4K huge advantage is very good passive 3D.

• Yeah bought a 51 inch Samsung plasma and the image is gorgeous. It is a pity how marketing work on people. Today the best quality/price are plasma with colour reproduction and contrast level that are so much better, but people just want LED tv and now it will be 4k.

• Just bought Samsung plasma from B&H for $600, shipping included. . This the last model year for plasma. The smallest size I could get with 1080P was 51", which dwarfs the small room. Picture quality is so good that I end up watching almost anything.

• Vitaliy. What tv model do you recommend for a true 1080p with proper backlight.

LG OLED TVs :-) If you can find - some Panasonic plasma.

Otherwise - top of the line LCD TVs with good local dimming, even if they are year old (not current).

• Vitaliy. What tv model do you recommend for a true 1080p with proper backlight.

I knew pioneer made kuro TV that was a good option. But now all seems to be cheap panels with poor Implementation. Even when high end models are offered.