Personal View site logo
Choosing gear setup for verité filming
  • I now have a client that wants me to do "verité style" documentary filming. The assignment would probably mean a few days per months of shooting for a few months, as certain events unfold. I'd like to see if anyone can help me brainstorm the right technical setup-up for my situation.

I am not used to this style of filming, which involves being a "fly on the wall", usually handheld and following some action unfold for long periods of time, with long takes which need to be in focus and correctly framed at least most of the time :) I'd be doing own sound, sometimes with a lav-mic on the subject plus a shotgun mic on the camera.

In the last few times I've been on this job, I've rented a C300 package with a handheld rig. I believe the client wants this sort of aestetic, i.e. not ENG or traditional small chip video camera.

The problem is that the places that rent C300 in my location are not very many or reliable, and I sometimes need to go out with little notice for only 2 hrs of shooting. So making sure I can find the camera and accessories, picking up, testing, setting up, returning, etc is quite a bit of hassle and expense every single time.

The only camera I currently own is a bmpcc and I have m43 glass. I tried using it with a loup, hand-held rig and an external field recorder. I've also tried it with the Retroflex, but it's still borderline unusable because it's just not stable enough handheld, even on wide lense. But I guess it's not impossible, but biggest challenge was monitoring sound on the external device, and anyone who knows the bmpcc also knows it's not an ideal tool for this, unless I can find good enough accessories to make it work?

I don't want to buy a C300 - although it has the ergonomics I need. Even the C100 doesn't seem like that good of a deal, especially since I don't own Canon glass and I don't do this type of filming all the time.

I'm wondering about either trying to buy the right accessories for the bmpcc, but I'm worried it's never really going to work, or perhaps get a GH4. Does anyone have experience using the GH4 in similar situations? How did you rig it?

Are there other options that I'm missing?

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • I am a fan of the Edelkrone gear for run-and-gun verite type work. Throw a GH4 on an EK Pocket Rig with their FocusPlus+ and you've got a compact, ergonomic, three-point stabilized setup with good follow focus capabilities. If you need it, put a Cavision 4x4 Matte Box on the front. If you need further stabilization, shooting 4K means that it's easy to do in post.

If you really need silky smooth footage, you could look into buying a gimbal, like the Varavon Birdycam, AllSteady-5, or even a CAME-7800?

How important is low-light performance for this project? The GH4 is limited in that regard. Most people don't like it, me included. The macro-blocking of ISO noise makes the picture fall apart quicker than a GH2, in my opinion. The ergonomics suck and the rolling shutter is worse than most current gen cameras, but on a gimbal the A7s could make a decent documentary camera.

Personally, I use the GH4 for documentary work and have it rigged out with a large cage setup with a matte box, follow focus, monitor, shotgun mic, dedicated sound recorder, hand grips, and a shoulder mount. It's very practical and surprisingly compact, but it's heavy as hell. Thinking about selling most of it and picking up a Pocket Rig + a gimbal for run-and-gun work, to be honest.

• Thanks @Sangye.

How do you look through the camera and monitor the sound on your recorder on your setup? On something like the C300 you'll be looking at the screen/viewfinder and the sound levels will be there, jumping at you if something is wrong.

Is it possible to do this, or perhaps you don't feel the need to?

Why do you need a follow focus for solo-operator hand-held work? I mean, isn't it just as easy to grab the focus ring of the lens?

• Opinions do differ, so as with all of these take this with a grain of salt, but the GH4 in 1080 has really minimal rolling shutter - I find it's a great handheld cam in 1080. 4k is another story, but it's not nearly as bad as the A7s in that regard. (To be fair, shooting the A7s in crop mode is said to help - I have no direct experience with that so can't really say, but it makes sense). The GH4 in low-light situations all depends on whether its noise characteristics bother you or not. It's certainly no A7s for low light (not even close, but nothing is). It doesn't bother me at all, but then I shot high speed stocks in 16mm and they didn't bother me either. The noise pattern up to 1600 feels organic, but there IS noise.

As to "how you rig it", with the GH4 in the kind of scenarios you describe, I either don't, use a monopod, or if practical a small stabilizer though that's not an option for long takes unless you have a high pain threshold of don't mind trudging about in the vest. But I'm from an experimental filmmaking background so approach everything in less-is-more mode. For sound, the shotgun-on-cam plus lav-on-subject, Bennett Miller style, is the tried and true (doesn't produce GOOD sound, but if you are solo with no sound person options are limited). I avoid the lav if I can, and have just started using the lav-to-pocket-recorder-on-subject trick to avoid wireless (so far so good), but that's personal again. I hate the sound of even the best/perfectly implemented lav mics even more than mediocre on-cam shotgun/cardoid sound unless the location's reflections make the lavs necessary, and I hate dealing with wireless.

But for run-and-gun verite its all about the ergonomics over all of these issues, and every filmmaker is going to have different needs for that. Personally, I find the GH series ergonomics (especially the 3 and the 4) better than other stills-body cameras, but I prefer the medium sized camcorder-with-handle ergonomics of the AF-100s and even the cam in a box Sonys (as long as dealing with menus is kept to a minimum). Again, its all personal - most doc folks I know love having the camera on their shoulder when it goes off of sticks, and I can't stand shooting that way. I also like to stay minimal and fast, so when a camera needs too many extras (eg your BMPCC handheld rig) I go to another camera, regardless of image quality. With verite doc work, magnificent technical specs are meaningless if you can't get to the right controls immediately without warning, can't see the viewfinder/LCD or have to worry about your external monitor crashing into something while following a subject down an unexpected narrow passage (alas, there goes the BMPCC), or have to focus on tech issues at the expense of on-the-fly composition.

• Thanks @bhinton. I like the idea of not having wireless for the lav, but I'd be constantly worried about not being able to monitor it. Since this is a paid job and stuff is happening that will not be repeated, I'm not sure if I'd be confident.

I already have a Tascam DR100 field recorder, which doesn't work very well on a rig to operate. I'm considering something like the Tascam DR-60D MK II under the camera to feed the shotgun and lav into. Could I record on the DR-60D and then feed to my BMPCC or GH4 - if not only for being able to monitor sound on my camera screen? Also, really interested in the "safety feature" where I can record additional track on another level (as I understand it), which might help a lot in my situation.

• @arnarfjodur -- yeah, the Tascam DR-60D is a very good sound solution for the price. I use one in the same manner that you describe, although I would add that you get a better readout of the levels on the device's screen than on a GH4, with peaking indicator lights, multiple channel monitoring, etc. Dual mono / dual stereo option does indeed serve as a safety feature, where another track is recorded at anywhere from -1 to -12dB. This has saved my skin in the past. I would say that the DR-70D looks like a significant step up from the 60D, offering 4 XLR channels in a more compact body. I'll be replacing my 60D as soon as it's released, supposedly this month.

I hate wireless too, but shooting documentaries solo without it is a really hard sell. On-camera shotgun for main sound is almost never a good option. It severely limits your composition options (no shots from further than 5', which is a weird aesthetic), you're going to get more background noise, and it's very likely that even with the best shockmount, you'll get some handling noise. You should have an on-camera shotgun feeding into your camera since it's better at least than built-in mics, but it shouldn't be your primary audio. It's annoying and imperfect, but I really believe that wireless lavs are the least bad option for shooting documentary sound solo. Used Sennheiser G2s and G3s sell for reasonable prices on eBay, and if you keep an eye out you may score an even better deal on a used Lectrosonic set. Just watch out for used units with banned frequency blocks, since a lot of people are selling those for dirt cheap. Shure and Sony makes decent wireless kits too, but I wouldn't leave those brands. Beware of cheap Azden units, especially. I've thought about using a compact field recorder placed on the talent instead of a wireless setup, but the obvious problem with that is that you can't monitor it. That's just as bad as not being able to look at your screen / monitor while filming. You could double team it with a lav feeding into a wireless recorder which is also sending the signal out to a wireless transmitter for 2nd system recording / monitoring, but that's an added level of complexity where it isn't really needed, provided that you can afford a decent wireless kit.

To answer your other question, there are different opinions here but I find that follow focuses help a lot with ergonomics. Maybe I'm just used to shooting that way, but rotating something on the camera's z axis feels weird to me. The benefit of the Edelkrone unit I mentioned is that it's integrated into two hand grips, which is very nice when combined with a basic shoulder support system.

I also am not a huge fan of shoulder support, being as that I'm freakishly tall and that puts the camera too high up for most shots, but if it weren't for that reason I think I'd use it a lot more.

With the GH4, I just flip out the screen to the side, and use that for monitoring picture. The focus peaking and zebra stripes are both very well implemented, and I only use a field monitor when I can afford to have a heavier camera rig, in which case I use a 7" articulating arm to place it on the right, in front of my follow focus.

• That's pretty poor you can't get a proper sound recordist, but if that's the case, you're right to run with a radio lav and a shotgun - you'll need something like a juiced link pre-amp too. IMHO, you don't need an external recorder - the gh4 will be absolutely fine for sound if you run the camera's preamp at the lowest setting, and run your juicedlink hotter to compensate. I think the next most important purchase is a shoulder mount you're comfortable with (if you're not freakishly tall, of course). If you get a good one, you can do everything off it, including interviews (and don't forget a counterweight, it really helps). Don't get too hung up on stuff like sensor size and choose one good all rounder as your go to lens (I would suggest Panny 12-35 f2.8, and one other long lens option).

Remember, this is verite - no one gives a shit about organic noise patterns, 100% perfect focus or rolling shutter. What is important is your judgement of what to shoot when, and what you need to get by way of cutaways.

• What about a small gymbal like this: http://shop.chdntech.com/nebula/nebula4000-lite-gyroscope-gimbal-stabilizer-bmpcc-gh4-nex-eos-m-a7s.html

See demo:

Does it make any sense for my situation? Will it be ok to use for long period of time, can I pull focus and operate and keep it stable? I've never touched a gymbal before, so I don't know anything of the practicality of it.

• I might be able to get a sound recordist if I press for it. It's just not practical all the time, as I said, because stuff happens with short notice and for small periods of time, so I need to have the option of DIY.

• I love the idea of a gimbal this size with a gh4, but doubt it would stand up to much rough treatment, which is inevitable with run and gun. I think you're better off with a shouder rig, which would allow you to mount your audio stuff when you're flying solo. You don't need to spend a fortune - I built mine out of parts from different vendors on ebay and from some of the deals on offer here. I use a scuba diver's belt weight screwed and epoxied to a 15mm railblock as a counterweight for instance - a regular one will run you 90$ and above.

• @mrbill Yeah - not having tried one, there is something magic about the promise a small handheld gymbal makes, almost like it's too good to be true.

• Those gimbals might only be good for a few shots. I'm pretty sure you'll get tired. The pocket rig isn't bad, I've been using the knock off. It's very compact and you can shoot all day if you improvise it was shoulder mount.

• An oddball thought to consider out of left field.... how about a Panasonic AF100??

They are so dirt dirt cheap these days on the second hand market, once you have rented out a C300 with lenses and the rest of the kit a couple of times.... well, you could have purchased outright an AF100!

And all the lenses you use for your BMPCC you can use on an AF100 too.

Depends on exactly what you're filming, and what kind of product you want out of it, but you might find the Panasonic AF100 could fit with what you need? Even if just for those very short notice and short shoot length sessions which you mentioned, be worth it simply to pick up and go with the AF100 (practically for free! As you can always resell it afterwards) rather than going through the hassle and cost (both in terms of money and your time!) of putting together and renting a C300 package.

• @IronFilm The suggestion makes sense in many ways. The ergonomics and the price point fits, for sure. My only concern is that the footage might stick out a bit from something shot on C300 (which is the benchmark the client has), it has a limited dynamic range and is a bit contrasty and sharp directly from camera. I'm not saying it's bad, but it will be a bit different, even though it is not a production where the look is everything.

Good suggestion though.

• Can you rent one nearby (as they'll be very cheap to rent) or borrow one from a friend? Then just take it out on one shoot for the doco, then you can see for yourself how well it will match up (show it even to your client) and suit your needs.

• @IronFilm I have a friend who owns one and have used it on several occasions. I'm not dissing it, it can be great in the right hands, it's just that after having gotten used to big dynamic range and high bitrate, flat capturing, it's hard to go back - shooting with the AF100 in some ways requires more skill and precision.

• GH4 + KAMERAR QV1 + POLAROID CHEST STABILIZER + RODE VIDEOMIC PRO. Incredibly cheap run and gun solution. For interviews, just carry a Y audio splitter with you and a nice lav mic and split the signal so LAV mic on one side and Rode mic on the other. Simplest set up and great for both hand held and interviews. Obviously get a decent tripod and standardise your baseplate / quick release system.

• I thought the EVF on the GH4 was OK, is there a big benefit using the Kamerar over the built in EVF directly?