Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX100 camera topic
  • 566 Replies sorted by
  • I did some handheld shots today to test the image stabilization. It's not a feature I'm usually looking for because it's not very useful underwater, and on land I prefer to use stands or software-stabilization in post, anyway.

I'd agree that the LX100 stabilizer is not brilliant. The OIS of e.g. the 14-140mm lens is much more capable. In comparison to the RX100 (which I don't own myself but have shot with) the LX100 does much less "de-shaking", but some would say that the stabilizer of the RX100 is on the other extreme - doing too much - if you voluntarily move the RX100, the stabilized image often follows with some "lag".

Did you notice the stabilizer setting is found within the "still image"-menu? Maybe Panasonic knows there's potential to provide better stabilization for video shots.

• Here is an LX100 test video, mostly close ups at full extension of the lens, that really tests the OIS. I think it is much better than my GH4 with 12-35mm lens. This was taken, as you will see, in heavy winds where I had trouble keeping steady. You can judge for yourself, but the OIS looks a lot better than some of the poor video samples I have seen posted:

An ND filter was used to keep the DOF shallow (yes, it takes filters).

• @markr041 Indeed, the OIS is not bad ! better than others videos posted here. And about the 4k quality, do you think, too, that the lx100 equal the gh4 with 12-35 ?

• @yaz72: I have not had the camera long enough to fully judge the video quality (but I am impressed that the OIS is better than the GH4 with 12-35mm lens). I have had plenty of experience with the GH4 and the 12-35mm lens, so I will be able to say soon about comparative quality.

• Thanks @karl and Angry_C re the 4K AF. It's encouraging to hear autofocus is useful.

An OIS question: For stills, does stabilisation engage on a half press of the shutter button, thus giving a visual display of its effect on the LCD/EVF as you compose, or only on a full press à la the GX7?

• @markr041 Maybe your 12-35 was not updated, a firmware update for the 12-35 fixes the jitter issue.

• @yaz72 It was updated. The OIS is certainly ok (better than the 35-100mm Lumix).

• It´s funny. Some people compare the RX100 III OIS with the LX100. Yes, the RX100 III OIS ist very good in active mode, but the image quality ist very bad in this mode. The LX100 OIS is much better than the RX100 III OIS in standard mode. I had the RX100 III for 3 weeks and so I can easily compare.

The LX100 OIS is also much better than the 12-35 2.8 (latest FW). An I can tell you, that there´s no more aliasing on the LX100 than on the GH4. Some samples on Vimeo or Youtube rendered very bad.

Please test yourself and make your own experience.

• @Angry_C you'll never please everyone. Thanks for taking the time to tell us your first impressions.

• @Angry_C

The RX100 III I tested was probably in active mode. The video IQ was a bit soft. Do you know what the active mode exactly does? Is it an electronic real time post stabilator?

• @Vesku:

The active mode also stabilizes electronically (on sensor) - Not only optically. So you´re loosing alot of resolution / details. The stability is quite impressive in this mode (quite nice for "out of camera people" which just want to cut a little bit in post). Though: It´s a little bit unfair to compare the RX100 M3 active mode against the LX100 optical only mode (as you can always stabilize in post while loosing resolution / details). ^^

• @Angry_C

I own the GH4 with the 12-35 lens as well and got my LX100 two days ago. Testing is still ongoing, but until now I'm able to support your findings:

• LX100 OIS seems to be better than the 12-35 OIS. Most significant advantage: No micro jitters.
    • Sharpness and detail of LX100 UHD and GH4 12-35 UHD footage seem to be pretty similar. No significant difference. However, you have to fine tune the sharpness settings carefully to get comparable results. Default sharpening of the LX100 is higher.
    • LX100 seems to have moire and aliasing under control very well, although I'd say that the GH4 is still better. Maybe the difference is caused by the minor scaling performed by the LX100 on UHD footage, als explained in the cameralabs review.

My conclusion as of today: The LX100 might be a good B-Cam for the GH4 and a good alternative when I want to carry a more lightweight package.

• A friend of mine owns an Android tablet with a >1080p resolution display. I asked him to try the Panasonic Image App for camera remote control with my LX100. Worked fine for controlling the taking of pictures and video, but: Displaying videos recorded with the LX100 on the tablet looks horrible: The resolution seems to be that of the camera display, not that of the tablet, and they apply an awkward "nearest-neighbour" scaling to the image. Downloading video files did not work for 4k recordings (but this may well be caused by the receiving tablet, not necessarily the camera).

Displaying still images using WiFi-Direct on my (Sony W905a) TV works (after manual WPA key entering), but the fact that the camera cannot replay videos (of any resolution) via WiFi (only still images) renders this function somewhat useless to me.

So I'd say currently WiFi is useful as a remote trigger and as a substitute for the "swivel display" (unless you're concerned about the privacy of your content), but not for anything else.

• I've seen several posts on the web where people were confused why fun features like "panorama shots" and "HDR" are greyed out in the menu and not accessible. The manual states (in the fine print) that these features are disabled whenever the quality setting asks for storing RAW images (even if accompanied by JPEG).

I understand that panorama or HDR shots are computed in the camera in a way that would not result in a "RAW format image", but I think it was a bad decision to make those features unavailable just because normal shots are asked to be stored as RAW. I think nobody would be confused if amongst the RAW images there were some JPEG panoramas/HDRs and alike stored.

• I updated my macro test shot with a better one, using a less bent 50 € note and a smaller aperture:

http://filebin.net/uj86q3gj0m/lx100_macro_50eur.jpg

I'm satisfied with the result - that's something I couldn't do without a dedicated macro lens or macro converter with the GH2 - and thus not whenever I wanted underwater.

• @karl I really hope an enclosure gets announced for under $500. Have you seen any announcements yet?

• Usually I render HDR pictures on my computer from multiple exposures, but for the fun of it I toyed around this evening with the LX100-internal HDR feature. Here's an example result, looking at the Frankfurt skyline from far away enough to use the tele-end of the lens.

@Tron: I've not yet seen any housing announcements from a manufacturer, only statements from journalists who believe there will be ones without pointing to a specific manufacturer.

lx100_night_shot.jpg
    4272 x 2403 - 2M
  • BTW: RawTherapee 4.2 has recently been released with official support for the LX100.

• @markr041 Very very sharp, a bit of corners softness but nothing bad ! OIS seems very good too, it is also good when panning ? @2m51s the tree seems oversharpened, did you added some sharpness filter in post ?

• I was thinking of getting the LX100 for flying on my multirotor. However, I've been told that you can't get video out of the HDMI or composite port while recording. I'd be happy with either. Can someone confirm that this is accurate or not? Without a video out, it doesn't do me much good. Thanks...

• No video out (hdmi and composite) during recording and standby. Only in Playback Mode. It would have been perfect for copters

• Maybe you can control by WLAN Panasonic Image App?