Personal View site logo
Ideas for the "Perfect Video Camera" - (fantasy?)
  • Fantasy ideas for a perfect video/digital cine camera, see image.

Post your ideas for the perfect camera, let's improve the fantasy project...

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Take the FS7 and give it internal RAW recording without that stupid external box, and that's near my perfect cam. Alternatively, lower the price of the new 65mm ARRI camera to under $10K USD ;-)

• My ideal camera would be the internals of the GH4 in a slightly larger than the LX100 body. It would have an oversized full frame sensor so that it could do multi-aspect ratio even in full frame sensor sizes. It would have an m4/3s mount with GH4 focus speed and accuracy.

It would be 48 Megapixels in full frame mode for use with manual focus full frame lenses via an adapter. However, it could crop the sensor down to A-PSC, m4/3s, 4k, 2k, and 1280x720 for stills and video. It could also bin the output of several pixels in order to reduce noise if you didn’t mind having lower resolution.

It would have the dial controls of the LX100 where you can select a specific shutter speed and exposure compensation. It would allow auto ISO in manual mode for photo and video. It would also have a minimum shutter duration for the Auto ISO function in Program Priority mode.

It would shoot 8K compressed RAW video at 60 FPS in full frame mode, 4K at 120 FPS in M4/3s mode, and 2K at 480 FPS in 1920x1080 mode.

It would accept all lenses ever made with adapters. However, there would be several new lenses made specifically for the camera that would take advantage of each sensor size that it can do. (35mm Equivalent values given) For full frame there would be a 20-40mm F2.8. For M4/3s there would be a 24-75mm F2.0-F3.5 and a 35mm F0.95.

For the 1 inch sensor size there would be the ultimate lens. 35-150mm F1.4-F2.8. It would be very large but it would be a fantastic lens.

• @mpgxsvcd I find it interesting that your ultimate lens would not be a constant aperture one!

• Alexa with a global shutter and the same dynamic range. PERIOD.

Or film.

• Same as josh ..it would be an alexa in a smaller size body/lighter for under 10k ..wounder how long we got to wait for something like that .

• If we're not constrained to present realism...

65mm sensor with global shutter, 5-axis IBIS, 15 stops of DR, Canon's color science, 4K at VFR up to 120p, Sony A7s levels of ISO performance, built-in NDs, in-camera timelapse, XLR inputs, 14-bit 4:4:4 Cinema DNG and h.265 recording options, all in sub-5lbs body with ergonomics like a large DSLR.

More realistic: An A7s with global shutter, 5-axis IBIS, 4K internally at 30p, in-body timelapse, VFR up to 1080p120, and 10-bit h.265 or similar next-gen codec.

• @joethepro

Honestly I don’t believe in constant aperture lenses. By nature the focal ratio should increase or decrease as you zoom. To get constant aperture they have to build a lens that is capable of having a wider focal ratio at wider focal lengths and then cripple it by not using those wider apertures in order to make it a constant aperture lens.

For example the 35-100mm F2.8 lens could probably be an F2.2-F2.5 wide open at 35mm and still have the same size. You could still fix the aperture to F2.8 in the camera and do the same thing. However, with a non-constant focal ratio lens you also get very fast wide angle glass.

A constant focal ratio lens seems like a waste to me. You also have changing depth of field as you zoom even with a fixed focal ratio lens. On top of that they must be moving the aperture while you zoom or it wouldn’t stay constant so that can introduce inconsistencies.

In addition if the lens isn’t Parfocal then a constant aperture won’t be of any use. I don’t like zooming while filming because I mostly shoot hand held. If I shot with a rig in a very controlled environment then maybe I would try to make zooming while filming work. However, even in that case I would want my lens to give me the maximum good quality aperture that it can have at each focal length. If I decide that I need a constant aperture then I will stop it down enough to keep it constant.

Do we have a topic about whether constant aperture is good or not already?

• @mpgxsvcd OK! OK! You convinced me!