Personal View site logo
GH4 - Best Video Settings
  • 753 Replies sorted by
  • What I understood about compression algorithm based on DCT, is opposite: where is an image with more contrast and color vibrance, more easy to compress. The CODEC destroys any detail or data that is no visually "important" to our eyes, for example in the dark areas, where color and the zone is easy resumed by less tones/colors, less detail.

• @shian You did all that using the existing ColorGhears?

• Aron - same Nikon vintage glass I've been using for years

@SuperSet yup

@heradicattor you'll find out that I buck conventional wisdom at every turn with pretty astounding results. I never base any conclusion I reach off of a pre-set theory. I tend to be more scientific and base it off observable and repeatable results. When doing camera and patch tests 2 years ago for a short I was getting ready to shoot with the hacked GH2, I noticed a little something peculiar http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/53940#Comment_53940

Whenever fog or smoke were introduced to an image thereby bringing up the shadow detail and lowering contrast in a very similar way to what the camera now does internally, the data rate dropped... significantly and consistently. On some VBR IPB patches this was a terrible thing, but on the more robust VBR ALL-I patches the footage was astounding and yet still compressed at a lower data rate. Now this tells me either Digital Compression Theory doesn't work the way you think it does, or the GH2 and GH4's internal computers have the algorithm all backwards... I found over time that the flatter the image : the lower the data rate, and the cleaner the image....every time.

So either I and the users I instruct to adopt my methods happened to buy the only GH2 and GH4 cameras on the market that actually defy DCT, or your approach is flawed. I teach all my students - Shoot, analyze, revise. Base you methods on the observable results of practical research.

• @shian you're the man :-)

• @shian, fog and smoke don't increase shadow detail in any way. It might refract light into the shadows bringing up the levels in that area, but total scene detail to be captured is radically lower. Similar effect to using super shallow depth of field.

• ^^^^ Does it raise the shadows or not, numbnuts? As a cinematographer, do I give a fuck if it actually increases the detail? Does it in any fucking way affect the final result? Did you miss the point entirely? What was my conclusion? Remind me. Something about lowering contrast, flatter images.... lower data rates, not stressing codecs... Pull your head out of your ass and find something better to do with your time than argue about whether or not it actually increases the fucking detail.

• Shian Yours uneducated expletive language is unnecessary and unacceptable. I think your post should be deleted.

• @shian Thanks for sharing your view on the flat image data rate concept. Quick question if you don't mind. Where do you draw the line on how flat you're pushing your image? For the music video I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I found that at a -5 contrast in Cine-D, moving the highlight/shadow curve at all introduced too much noise. You seem to be getting away with an extra +2/-2, though. So what, in your experience, caused you to push it that far (or even to stop pushing it there)? I'm obviously just speaking about curves, as raising master pedestal only raises the lower spectrum of the IRE and risks highlight clipping (more people need to realize that...) Thanks, Shian.

• Matt, I don't think of the curves adjustment as increasing or decreasing sensitivity but more as a response curve. I'm probably mistaken in thinking that. I have no idea what the camera is actually doing to the image...I'll admit that right now. I don't have the time to run it down. BUT - This I know. I used to have to use Lo-Con filters and fog to get lower contrast. Now, with whatever the camera has going internally. I can do the same thing with Cine D, the curves, and lowering the contrast to get a flat image. I'm aiming for what to my eyes is as similar to 35mm film scans and RED raw footage as I can get. These settings get me in the ball park (to the naked eye) Yes I know it's not a raw cam. Everything is an illusion in filmmaking. It doesn't matter what is, it only matters what it looks like.

I stopped at (+2-2) cuz in my tests, if I made the image any flatter it starts to fall apart when I try to stretch it back out along the luminance spectrum. I don't know why I'm not having the same noise issues everyone else has. OR maybe it's just taste. I like grain. The 4k images of the cam have a very nice, fine film-esque grain to them. As a film guy I'm used to that... I like it. I'd be adding grain if it weren't there. That hacked GH2 had very nice grain, and this is even better. So maybe that's the sticking point.

• @shian. I've gone back and forth on which profiles I like. I'm with you on Cine D being the best option. You may have already mentioned in earlier posts, but what do you think of Master Pedestal? I just moved mine back from +10 to 0 since I'm always bringing the mids back down in post anyway. I notice when I'm matching GH4 footage to C300 or BMCC Log footage that the mids are always higher on the GH4.

• @aaronchicago Master Pedestal does not increase the shadows like everyone seems to think it does (the shadow curve is actually what reveals more of what's already hiding down there). Instead, Master Pedestal takes the entire image and bumps it up (or down) on the IRE scale. Pushing up +15 is simply raising your entire image and pushing the top end of your highlights closer to their ceiling (clipping point). Master Pedestal was originally used to try and match one or more cameras together, not to reveal more information in shadows. By the same logic that people are using, you could lower the Master Pedestal -15 and push your highlights away from their ceiling even further, but then your blacks would be mush. It's best to leave pedestal at 0 unless you are matching your GH4 to another cam. If you want more information in the shadows (or highlights) lower your contrast or use the curves feature (but the more you open up those shadows the more noise is going to shine through). However, @shian is right, it's a fairly filmic grain (especially when 4K footage is downscaled). From my experience, however, -5 contrast with Cine-D is as far as I like to push it before the image becomes too noisy. I am really intrigued by @shian being able to get away with even more on the curves - probably due to his perfect 20%-80% metering.

• @shian Wow !!!

Shooting through fog/smoke doesn't lift shadow detail in anyway. It masks detail and thus your observed lower bit rate.

Your statement "Whenever fog or smoke were introduced to an image thereby bringing up the shadow detail and lowering contrast in a very similar way to what the camera now does internally, the data rate dropped... significantly and consistently." is utter nonsense. It may or may not increase shadow exposure, depending on your lighting, but fog and smoke surely obscure detail. You're filming fog. Fog doesn't have much detail. That's why shooting in flat light is so boring and dangerous depending on how fast you're going.

Your next statement that follows "Now this tells me either Digital Compression Theory doesn't work the way you think it does, or the GH2 and GH4's internal computers have the algorithm all backwards..." is even more nonsensical.

And based on that nonsense, you move on to this "Something about lowering contrast, flatter images.... lower data rates, not stressing codecs... Pull your head out of your ass and find something better to do with your time than argue about whether or not it actually increases the fucking detail."

I got your point perfectly and I think you're completely mistaken. It doesn't increase the detail and you're wasting bit rate on something you and what you're selling are throwing out anyway. That there seems to be the waste of time here.

• good luck, we're all counting on you.

• @shian

The flatter you make your image the less stress you put on the codec. The more color info, contrast, and vibrance you make the camera compress, the harder the codec has to work to capture the info.

Depends on what you mean as putting "stress" on the codec. With the GH2, what I considered stressful images were shooting conditions that undermined the reliability of the video codec, provoking it to either crash or resort to Fallback Mode. While dynamic range and vibrance were definitely stress factors, sharpness, fine detail, and overexposure were even more significant. However, I think it's safe to say that none of the profiles called "flat" would cause reliability issues.

If you use "stress" to refer to bitrate-intensive coding complexity, the effect of a flat profile depends on the balance between highlight and shadow details. An H.264 codec uses far more bits to encode highlights than shadows. With a sharp, well-exposed, high-contrast image, most of the bitrate is devoted to encoding the high-contrast details of bright sharp objects. A flatter profile will likely reduce the dynamic range of these details and require fewer bits to encode. This, however, may free up more bitrate for encoding subtler shadow details. If your flat profile also boosts shadow levels to the point where low-level noise becomes visible, it will take more bits to encode their random motions.

Whether this produces better image quality in post depends on your aesthetic concerns. If your priority is midrange skin tones, you'll want to devote most of the H.264 codec's bitrate to the mids, and sacrifice as much shadow and highlight detail as you can tolerate. If you want to preserve as much shadow detail as possible, you'll want to flatten the highlights in order to boost shadow levels, and grade the shadows down in post. If you want to preserve highlight detail, you'll expose to the right to eliminate all highlight blooming, and disregard the shadow details that are clipped into black. In all cases, matching an appropriate profile to the type of image you want to capture will produce the best results.

• @shian stop being so childish in a conversation with different opinions.

• @shian quote: "I have no idea what the camera is actually doing to the image...I'll admit that right now." Strange comment when you are taking such a solid position on flat profiles.

@c3hammer makes a valid point about fog obscuring detail. I think the issue here is that there are two factors to consider: 1. Fog lifts shadow areas into grey, making detail in shadows more visible to the eye. 2. Fog masks actual scene detail.

I think we should clarify what we mean in plain language to avoid misunderstandings like this. Non technical emotive language does not communicate very well.

@shian has some very important things to say: quote "I never base any conclusion I reach off of a pre-set theory. I tend to be more scientific and base it off observable and repeatable results."

Finally, most people seem to have trouble understanding when to use Master Pedestal settings. My opinion is that it is useful for this very situation. If fog or smoke is lifting black areas into grey, lowering the pedestal will bring the blacks back down and increase headroom for highlights. The gamma response or curve remains untouched.

I think the settings need to be adjusted to accommodate the requirements of the scene. Too many people seem to want one 'do-it-all' setting that will work with all scene conditions. Remember that there was never just one film stock or process that worked for everything!

• @Lpowell thanks for the clarification. I will file that away for future testing. It explains a lot about my findings.

To those with their dander up: Yes, I'm an asshole who loves provoking those I find to be idiots... it's fun, it's like a sport to me.

But there are those who wish to emulate my results. The things I share are the methods and findings I use to get those results. Some will notice that I haven't been posting here much for nearly a year... I have my reasons. The only reason I post here anymore is to help those who seek to learn my methods, settings, etc... I mastered the GH2 and so did those who listened to me, The GH4 is a fun new toy... it's gonna be a fun new adventure finding it's sweet spots... oh, and cuz there's a fresh new crop of morons to throw bananas at.... So... (shrug) 2 reasons.

If you've already got it all figured out, you can either ignore me... or poke the lion with a stick. Just know that I like being poked...

• So I went out today to do some lens test and grabbed my tripod but unfortunately forgot the quick release mount. So I had to stabilize these shots in post. I love to take my cameras and film trees at some point because years ago I switch from Canon to the GH2 because I never liked the mushy trees that Canon would produce in my footage. So I know if a camera can make distant leaves on trees good, then I know It will be good to go. When I got home I wanted to see how some new camera settings and some new lenses will look with my filmic color grading treatment. I will post another video soon about my findings, right now I'm still testing. What do you guys think so far with this video. Do you like the look. Panasonic GH4 Panasonic Lumix 20mm 1.7 lens

• Just completed an experiment with an X-Rite color checker and DaVinci Resolve 11. Shooting the same outdoor scene (late afternoon) with a chart and female model in shadow, I switched camera scene profiles with NO exposure adjustment & also with exposure adjustment to ensure a white histogram on the camera. There was full sun on the fence in the background to set the exposure; zebras at 95%, recording bits 16-235, WB set to cloudy.

Using the Resolve Color Match feature on all shots revealed three optimum camera scene profiles; Standard, Natural & Cine-D. The others all lifted the skin tones so they appeared too bright. Using curves pulled the skin back into an acceptable look, but the three profiles above still looked best. Using the shots with camera exposure adjustment also revealed the same three camera profiles as the best looking on skin tones.

Next test will be using zebras to set skin exposure.

• I am interested in getting the ninja star and watched the video on how to record 10-bit out of it I just have one question I can't seem to find: when you record the 10-bit and select 4k to 1080p, is it recording 4k, down converting it and sending it to the recorder? Is it essentially the same as recording 4k internally and exporting it from the editor at 1080p, but in 10-bit 422? I am just wondering if the detail captured when recording in 4k and editing in 1080 would be present in a 10-bit 1080p file from the atomos. Thanks!

• Sounds like you have using the Ninja Star already figured out.

Just be sure you get a "no quivel" return guarentee incase it does not work out.

And, please report your results here.

• @rrroger I am hoping my theory is correct but wondering if anyone has used the unit and can confirm?

• I have not used the ninja star but have used a Nanoflash which is equally high bit rate but 8 bit. The improvement is quite dramatic to me as far as depth is concerned. The sharpness of the GH4 can be too much already and it is not helped by some noticeable aliasing using the downconvert from 4k to 1080p when recording external. And it is there on the horizontal and vertical - the scaling algo seems lacking somewhere - but don't get me wrong - it does grade better and it is really sharp - if you get some nice vintage glass on it looks great. So yes it is a step up from the internal codec but depends on what you are comparing. 4k internal ( 1080p timeline ) vs 1080p external - sharpness I would give to the 4k but colour to the 1080p external. Of course the Shogun will fix all this.......but a ninja will give you nice results.

• As far as I know the GH4 can´t record internally 4k and have 10bit output.

• @theconformist I bought the Ninja Star for the exact same reason.

I can confirm that the GH4 does in fact do 4K 422 10Bit and downscales internally to 1080p. I shot some test to compare side by side 4K modes and 1080p modes, and I wouldn't say there is TOO much of a difference on face value. Unless you really need the difference than it isn't a big deal, I would say Sharpness is about the same (Might give the edge to the Ninja Star) but the color and just the life in the image seems to be alot better with the Ninja Star. Not to mention the better flexibility in post. I would be comfortable shooting mostly with the Ninja Star, and if the occasion would arise that I need 4K to crop in, or for multiple angles, or something I would shoot 4K internally. They both look great in the end. I never saw any problems in the way of Aliasing and Moire that wasn't in the same 4K internally.

Here are some tests I did with different settings.

Pros: Already NLE friendly format and renders fast. More flexibility in post. Better looking colors. Already set to 1080p.

Cons: Double the file size. Recording externally with no monitor to reference. Cord can potentially unplug accidentally. Not 4K, no cropping in post. 10Bit can't record internally simultaneously. Need Ninja Star +CFast 1.0 cards + CFast Card Reader + Mini HDMI to Mini HMDI