Personal View site logo
GH4 - Best Video Settings
  • 753 Replies sorted by
  • @Zachasurp Where can I find dragon profiles?

• @Zachasurp really useful video!!! the way best so far for comparison the different "trendy" settings .. I will defo give a try to the Dragon settings as this summer i will film a lot MTB and nature...

• zachasurp that was a great video thanks. I like that Dragon settings. I need to send my GH4 in to get the buzzing audio fixed, anyone else have an audio problem or. Fix before I send it off.

• @AronJAnderson go to the Panasonic website to the firmware download page and update the firmware. Last update fix that audio problem. Good luck

• @paglez I found the Dragon settings in the first post here http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?116919-Attempting-to-match-GH4-to-DRAGON-(my-results-thus-far)

Lots of interesting info comparing the two.

• @c3hammer

Great shots. I removed my vid because the shakiness really did hurt the test, I was mainly focused on the color rendition vs resolution/codec, but the new one I did is a better example, so I decided to put just the settings I used for the previous post.

Your footage of that deer looked great, especially the ETC mode shot (is that 1080 shot scaled up to 4K?). How do you like Cine V? I feel that the colors don't come out in full as much (though your footage seems to differ a bit), but it's mainly in the highlights that I see it lacking. Your bike shots came out great. I want to raise the Master Pedestal, but I feel its more for a look and less flattening to the image, and in my test using it, it came out a little Red.

The slow mo always comes out a bit weird and chunky. I'm planning on doing 48-60-96 over crank vs 60p slowed down in a deep focus Wide and shallow focus CU shot this weekend. I'm also getting a Ninja Star and plan to do a 1080 200/Mbs All-I vs 4K 8Bit 100/Mbs vs Ninja 4K converted to 1080 in camera vs Ninja 1080 200/Mbs All-I to.

• Here is that same C4K Test I did in 4K on youtube. NOTE that Youtube did a weird compression glitch when the shots go to the color graded versions, and it's trying to resolve the whole image, then jumps to a change. But once the full color grade is on screen it is all good.

• @kikojiu I have the update firmware 1.1. Did not help audio buz.

• More on fixing the audio buzz here

http://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-audio-buzz-fix/

Cameras pre-installed with 1.1 have the problem fixed already. Cameras that already have the problem need to be sent in to Panasonic for the fix

• Thanks guys.

• @zachasurp, I'm pretty sure you're using Cine-V wrong. It's not MEANT to be flattened like you used it. You use Cine-V when you DON'T intend on pushing the image around much in post. The general idea is that Cine-D is for maximizing latitude for post, whereas Cine-V is for trying to get a 'cine' look IN-camera, both with cine-gamma the other style don't have. = /

• @LucidStrike I know that that is what Cine-V is SUPPOSED to be used for, but many people (James Miller and more) are using it to be graded as well. I just used their settings and you can see the before and after. And as for Cine-V straight out of camera, you saw the shot that I got with it. Does it look good as is, or would you grade that? Compared to Cine-D, Cine-V doesn't seem to be capturing as much color information. It's all personal preference though, use what you like.

• Fair enough, and I'm not trying to antagonize. I don't think Cine-V is MEANT to retain as much information as Cine-D. Also, James Miller didn't touch the contrast, using (0, -5, -5, -5, +1) instead, which is another thing about your test that confused me.

• Been shooting a music video [CineD (-5, -2,-5,-5,0) Contrast curve #2 (S+2, H-2) pedestal @0, 0-255] using both 4K HD and 1080 96fps and getting outstanding looking footage. I have to wait till the video is released by the label to show you, but....I'm loving this camera.

• @shian - are you doing any sharpening in post? Thanks

• @LucidStrike I guess you're right. I found a number of his settings, and it looks like i grabbed one that wasn't officially his. But I list all of the settings I use, and I really don't like Cine-V anyway. I don't think I'll ever use it, mainly because I really like all the color I get from Cine-D. Is there a profile you like most?

• @shian Will you be releasing any additional ColorGhears/tutorials for GH4 CineD?

• no need - it's as sharp as needs to be. I hate the super sharp look of digital... GH4 4K is a LOT closer to the softness of film. It's not all the way there, but I love the way it looks. I'm seriously thinking of shooting an homage to Sergio Leone with this cam. The stuff we shot in the desert - straight out of the cam reminds me so much of TGB&U that it's inspiring.

• @superset - u better believe it. I'm about to change your life. :)

• @shian Awesome news, looking forward to it!

• @shian - Just curious to what lenses your using, mainly on the above mentioned video!

• same Nikon lenses I've had for years

• EDIT: Unfortunately I had to remove this post (and the associated music video) as PR agencies are promoting it and want the video to be re-released as a premier of their own.

• @Matthew

Great looking video.