Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • @videomasala - Hi, Very nice filming and slow motion.

One thing: Are you aware of rapid bird population decline, due to house cats?

Please find a way to prevent your Irmeli from killing birds. She's a very pretty cat and looks like she can be reasoned with:)

Thanks.

Bill

• Bill, even if you believe the sensationalist publication by the Smithsonian researchers, it's mostly stray cats - not free-roaming domestic cats - that do the most damage. Why don't you reason with them ;)

Most domestic cats in the US are actually kept indoors all the time.

Anyway, here's the source that seems to be very sympathetic to the killer-kitty Smithsonian publication - yet the stray cat quote comes from it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0 "Yet the new study estimates that free-roaming pets account for only about 29 percent of the birds and 11 percent of the mammals killed by domestic cats each year, and the real problem arises over how to manage the 80 million or so stray or feral cats that commit the bulk of the wildlife slaughter."

• @bheath

are you being sarcastic?

• GH4 doing pretty well in a strong sunny light , at 4K the details are simply awe !

• @GravitateMediaGroup I believe he's being sarcatstic. :-)

• Here is a quick reel that I gathered from two days hiking last weekend. I tried as many different formats as I could to see how they compare, including .mov and .mp4 formats (of which I couldn't tell much difference, likely just depends which format your NLE handles best). Some things to note: 60p looks far more detailed than 96fps. Whether line skipping or simply upsampled 720p is used remains to be seen, but I imagine the 96fps feature to only really be useful in a very well lit environment with a near subject. Also it seems that the 1080p/200 mbit codec introduces slightly higher contrast than the DCI 4K, even using cinelike D gamma. 4K also seems to handle color grading far better oddly enough given it's lower bitrate.

Many of these shots were exposed very poorly as it was completely on the fly, and I had to try and recover as much of the image as I could (which surprisingly you can recover a lot for an 8-bit image). I can't wait to get my hands on an Atomos Shogun and see what can be done with the GH4's 10-bit output.

This was also shot using almost exclusively the 14-42 kit lens, which I'm not entirely sure does justice for 4K footage, even stopped to f/8 when it produces it's best image.

• Hey I have been using the GH4 for a while and I made a video on some of the different settings. Watch out for the highlight and shadow options.

Thanks Chris :)

• @soulofrev2 Very good video! I also did tests and came to similar conclusions. I treat the GH4 like an improved GH2 as far as getting a look that is easy to grade. I also use different settings depending upon subject matter & lighting.

• @soulofrev2 I found the exact same thing, I get a lot of noise introduced when lifting shadows. I prefer cine D with shadows/highlights and master ped all at 0. If I'm shooting a high dynamic range scene that has harsh afternoon sunlight and shadows and there's no avoiding it, I'll lift the master ped. Shadows/highlight function is pretty much useless until we get some 10-bit 4K external recorders.

• Thanks. I keep them all at 0 and turn the master ped up if needed, though to be honest I wonder if even an external recorder would solve that problem with using the highlight, shadow options, you would get more room in post, though I think the image would still have a processed look.

• Possibly. The only way to find out for sure is to try it. Have to wait for that Atomos Shogun though.

• other than more saturation in the sony that makes the image pop more they both look fairly similar, even DR in that video. judging by the youtube video only

• Video looks fake to me. Bokeh and framing look the same to me in every video.

• @amateur. If A7s is recording 10 bit 422 to the Atomos externally, then it is not a fair comparison because GH4 records 8 bit 420 internally. That could be the difference between more popped up color of A7 vs GH4.

• ha my first impressions was that it might be a fake also

• @amateur

This is obviously a fake video! The depth of field and field of view is a give away. There is absolutely no way the GH4 can produce the same depth of field and "exact" field of view as the A7s full frame camera. This is yet another video posted on the internet just to get hits or whatever ulterior motive that this guy has. Please give me a break....

@Zaven13 and yes if it wasn't a fake video at least make the test fair. I call bullshit on this video....

• @amateur thank you for posting but the video is absolutely pointless. It is useless to shot 4K, downsize to full HD and then upload an SD equivalent sized image for comparison on the internet. It would have been interesting to see 100% percent crops form 4K or at least SBS 4K from both cameras.

I have no doubt that Sony A7s has better DR and better High ISO compared to GH4 but the lack of 4K internal recording makes it unappealing to me. In the other hand I will be enjoying my GH4's soon.

• I have no doubt that Sony A7s has better DR and better High ISO compared to GH4 but the lack of 4K internal recording makes it unappealing to me. In the other hand I will be enjoying my GH4's soon.

As far as I understand it'll be fixed in next models. May be next year.

• Of course, always in the next models LOL. By then Panasonic will bring the organic sensor tech which promises 14,6 stops of DR and 1,2 ISO stops lower noise.

• By then Panasonic will bring the organic sensor tech which promises 14,6 stops of DR and 1,2 ISO stops lower noise.

LOL.