Personal View site logo
How to Clean Sensor on GH2
  • Need to clean my GH2 sensor (I'm seeing a green dot in the middle of my footage, and when looking at monitor of footage shot with lens cap on, I saw a bunch of white dots...assuming/hoping it's just dust on the sensor). So my question is this - I bought the Giottos Rocket Air Blower, but how to do I get the mirror(or is it shutter?) to lock open so I can blow air on it? Any and all tips much appreciated.

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • try pushing the menu selection called "sensor cleaning"

BTW what u see when you look into your camera is the AA filter that sits directly over the sensor. There is no mirror.

• @shian Yeah, did "sensor cleaning" process in menu, but no luck.

Lol. After googling around, finally realized this is a mirrorless camera. Lol.

So I guess you're saying, that with no lens on camera, what I see is the "sensor" (with this AA filter)? I tried blowing the Giottos Rocket air blower on this, but still no luck.

Any opinion on using a sensor swab with Eclipse fluid ( or wrapping a pecpad around a sensor swab plastic stick), and cleaning the sensor directly(or the AA filter)?

Thanks

• I had a small clear blob on the sensor that wouldn't go away. When I stopped down any lens, it would appear as a black blob.

99% Iso Alcohol worked. Dip a cotton swab in alcohol and apply to spots on the sensor. Don't wipe it off yet. Allow it to sit for 30+ seconds. Then use the cotton swab to gently wipe off. Repeat with new swab until the spot is gone. [ do at your own risk :) ]

• I had a small clear blob on the sensor that wouldn't go away. When I stopped down any lens, it would appear as a black blob.

99% Iso Alcohol worked. Dip a cotton swab in alcohol and apply to spots on the sensor. Don't wipe it off yet. Allow it to sit for 30+ seconds. Then use the cotton swab to gently wipe off. Repeat with new swab until the spot is gone. [ do at your own risk :) ]

• Anybody know the recommended way to clean a GH2 sensor? Surely someone knows how it ought to be done...this is the top GH2 forum on the internet!

• Send your GH2 to Panasonic service. It is the best way and costs less than screwing the sensor by trying to clean it yourself.

• Use a swab. There are those you can buy off the shelf, generally they will do the trick. I use the optic cleaning solution Eclipse, which is quite expensive, but useful. Dab a dash of the solution on a swab, clean sensor gently, voila, your camera will be good as new.

• @kazuo Is the sensor immediately accessible after taking lens cap off, or do I need to hold shutter open or something (ive removed cap and looked in, but don't really know what im looking at)? thanks

• Never tried it on a GH2. but this is the method for Canon. Might want to apply the same tactic using the "Sensor Cleaning" button.

• Eclipse 2 sensor cleaning fluid is made from ethanol. methanol and isopropyl acohol.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00S90V

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1131609&page=4

Manufacturers Method:

Canon - Blower and a Kimwipe, held by tweezers. They do not like to use fluid but when necessary they use either 90% isopropyl alcohol or a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Windex.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

Cleaning your Sensor/ Thom Hogan

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

The Secret of Effectively and Safely Cleaning Your Digital Camera Sensor Yourself

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/13666

How to clean your sensor (and what not to do)

• Gh2 sensor has AA and bayer filters. It's safe to clean by oneself.

• One rookie question: when I remove the body cap and look into the GH2, is that the sesnor that I clean, or is that some protective flap that somehow gets pulled back to reach the sensor?

• that's the sensor, thus mirroless. there is a shutter but only appears when you take a photo, but to answer the questions, what you see is the sensor.

• It's the transparent AA filter on top of the sensor. You will clean the filter, not the sensor.

• So what do you guys think of using Pecapads with Eclipse to clean sensor? Ok and safe to use? (Thanks all for info youve given me on this topic - it's much appreciated)

• Hard lesson learned last night. Thought I'd share my "cleaning" experience with one of my GH3s.

I rented a few lenses online for a shoot with one of my clients this weekend. I neglected to inspect the lenses thoroughly, and a bit of dust from the rear of the lens ended up getting on my sensor while mounting. I thought "no big deal I'll just blow it out....with my mouth" DERP.

A small piece of spittle ended up landing on the sensor and was most definitely visible in footage. I tried the Rubbing Alcohol/Swab method, but it left streaks on the sensor. Also visible.

Needless to say I ended up running down to the only camera shop in town and buying Eclipse and a few actual swabs to clean it.

$50 spittle. Most expensive spittle ever.

TLDR; Get eclipse and actual sensor swabs. Better safe than sorry.