Personal View site logo
GH4 - Best Video Settings
  • 753 Replies sorted by
  • Can someone explain the hue adjustment more?

• Spent the last two days shooting with SLR MAGICs and FD primes at a music recording for a documentary i'm directing / shooting.

Shooting interior studio settings and trying my best to match my GH4 up with a Sony F5 which was A cam.

First off. The F5 looks amazing, especially on the Zeiss glass the DoP had. It has so much latitude and is awesome in low light. Respect where its due. The F5 is a fine camera.

Secondly, the GH4 totally holds its own. White balance is tricky and things can go a bit monotone when shooting interiors with tungsten light, but it is amazing in terms of detail and grade-ability.

Basically, i like the following settings, giving me the best footage to grade with (after much experimentation).

Cine D, Contrast 0, Sharpness -3, NR, -5, Saturation -3, Hue 0 Highlights dialled down to between -2 and -5 depending on windows etc being in shot. Shadows untouched. Luminance - 16-235. This seems to protect highlights and shadows. If i was a tad underexposed, it didn't matter too much as i still had 'floor room'.
    I-Resolution - Low or Off (depending on how much ISO i was at - higher ISO i turned it off as didn't want fake noise, at low ISO it seemed to provide a tiny bit more 'clarity').

The SLR MAGIC and FD glass are a bit soft / funky, especially wide open indoors, and this took the edge off the 4K in a nice way. I still want it 'in focus and sharp' especially to match the F5, but matching the Zeiss is always going to be tricky and i would of needed modern fast glass for that (or a PL mount adaptor).

GH4 is great and i'm keen to test lots of different glass on it, maybe Samyang Cine Primes and also Nikkors look tempting as well as getting the full SLR MAGIC hyper prime set.

Can you guess which image is which camera?

violinc.jpg
    2048 x 1080 - 317K
    violing.jpg
    4096 x 2160 - 2M
  • @nobbystylus Thx for share you setting

according with pict size , left Sony , right Gh4 .... guess

• @nobbystylus Thanks for posting your test and detailing the specifics. I'm also now a big fan of CINE D. Straight up as is works well. But usually it's -2 Contrast if i want to maximize my dynamic range without the shadows deteriorating. Sharpening and NR I tend to dial down too (-3 to -5) as I'm not comfortable with this being handled by an "in camera filter" or process.

• @valpopando ha! Yes the frame size is a bit of a give away!!

Next shoot I plan to get a PL mount and share lenses a bit more to see how close the cameras can look. Slog on the F5 is pretty impressive but I've yet to play with creating a LUT to match the GH4 and F5 footage to a neutral grade. I'll be shooting this stuff over the summer so plenty of time to experiment.

• Wich is the ideal menu settings for best performance in video AF mode in GH4?. I have a lumix 35-100 lens on it and i get a lot of hunting failures.

• @paglez. Use AFC (continuous autofocus) mode.

• @paglez I had hunting issues at 4k low light afc etc but was as good as / better than my gh3 at 1080p in the same lighting I made a custom focus area that was more focused on what I wanted to focus on as well which helped. I just manual focus in 4k and use 1080p if I'm doing point and shoot stuff. Tbh now it has focus peaking I've rarely had it in auto focus at all, the low light seems less noisy to me at 1080p so I've been running higher iso and getting more dof with the aperture leaving it manual more than I used to.

• Based on the amount of background blur, I would also guess the left was shot with a larger sensor... much more separation than on the right.

• @thorn indeed the first image is the F5 using a 85mm Zeiss PL T1.5 prime. The second is using a Gh4 with a Canon FD 1.8. Bokeh is lovely on the Zeiss lenses for sure. The FD is funky but totally acceptable!

• @nobbystylus Both are nice images, btw... especially given the cost difference between cameras. What ISO were you generally going with to try and match the Canon/GH4 combo with the Zeiss/F5?

• Awesome video!!!! @maddog15 Looks great!

• The F5 is rated at 2000 ISO so the DoP tends to stick with that using ND internally to bring up the Tstops. She did knock the ISO down a bit when shooting wide open. I was shooting at between 400-800 ISO (using an SLR magic 12, 23 and FD 50 and 85s) with the lenses set to about F2-2.8 mostly. No real problems with noise on the footage. I've ordered a PL Mount adaptor for our next shoot and will test on the same lens for some interiors of another studio we're shooting in.

• Hadn't seen much cinielike v posted, 4k UHD 25p -5 nr -5 sharp 16-235 everything else 0 was slight sharp in post and slight level adjustment to fill 16-235 to avoid clipping as the youtube viewer applications tend to expand it out to 0-255 but that's all.

playing around seeing what I could do about moire on youtube

First is 4k @4k on the blue and white jump I'm not seeing hardly any moire but when youtube scales it down I see it.

I has same setting and resized to 1080p bicubic scaling with integration, in the source file I hardly see any moire so that's good news with that but see around the same levels when uploaded to youtube

Might try not sharpening at all before resizing see if that helps, anyone else any ideas or is it just what it is and it's going to happen at some point depending on the setup of the viewer and you can only ever do your best unless you have a fixed platform for delivery ? Nice that it's not present in the 4k source so at least you do have options and it was blatantly obvious in the view finder that was going to happen so if I had been doing something formal with this I'd have just changed the scene to avoid it but left it out of interest to see what it looked like in post.

• Has anyone done a careful survey of skin tones across the picture styles? I've been trying to find something that doesn't soak the skin with yellow but so far to no avail. And yes, that's white-balancing with a proper white card. Color Checker Passport to be specific.

p.s. Please don't say just fix it in color correction. :-)

• This is from 5mars (Guillaume Le Berre) over on Vimeo. Setting have been requested.

• FilmConvert released a GH4 pack today. It Has all the settings, and CinelikeD has 2 settings: CinelikeD and CinelikeD Low Contrast: Download for Mac: bit.ly/1kB7R2C Download for Windows: bit.ly/1x3qTUb

• Miniature Effect straight form camera.

No real video settings to report BUT I did notice that Video Spec lists the bit rate of this clip at 158Mb/s. Interesting. (Had to down sample the vid to 720p before uploading. I'm on holiday at a resort and apparently the internet connection is powered by a hamster on a wheel.)

• @lunalobo75 I've done the download for mac but now I can not find it anywhere nor between apps, and even among the plugin in FCPX. where is it? thanks

• @DLG Do you have Filmconvert software already installed on your computer? The download was just an added package to be installed with FilmConvert. If you don't have a copy of FilmConvert installed, the download for the GH4 won't work.

• Monochrome all to -5, 14-42 kit lens, no cc at all vfr 96fps.

• @lunalobo75 ok. Thanks.

I did not know that it was necessary to have installed FilmConvert but now that the installation of "Panasonic GH4 CameraPack" has been successful however, where I can find one that has been installed, can not find it anywhere. thank you again.

• @maddog15 - is this a time lapse done with stills, or a sped up video clip? Looks great.

• @DLG Hey, I think I read your post right. The Panasonic "GH4 CameraPack" can only be used if you have FilmConvert. You can install it, and it will show that it is installed, but you cannot use it unless you have a trial or paid version of FilmConvert. Go to the Filmconvert website and download a trial, then install the Panasonic GH4 CameraPack and test it out.

• @mrbill Nothing special done here. The clip was done entirely with the "Miniature Effect" setting on the GH4. It's Panasonic's term for the Tilt-Shift videography technique.