Personal View site logo
XAVC-S ( free ) conversion ?
  • Interestingly, in preparation for getting an xavc-s camera like the rx100mklll sometime in the future, I've done some tests looking for a ( free ) conversion software for xavc-s to mov. It looks like gopro cineform does the job, although it's only a windows application. I tried some native mac apps like compressor, mpegstreamclip, and toast. None worked. I highly await sample clips in xavc-s from the mklll. The sample I did my test was from the sony as100v. Anyone have any other free solutions ?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • ffmpeg should be able to remux from XAVC-S .mp4 to .mov with no transcoding necessary.

• I think I have gopro cineform on my mac :)

• xavc-s is just Sony's marketing for high bitrate h264 in an mp4 container. You can simply use ffmpeg -i xy.mp4 -acodec copy -vcodec copy xy.mov to rewrap it into Quicktime. Alternatively, for the Mac, install MediaConverter (which is just a graphical user interface for ffmpeg and provides a shrinkwrap app for rewrapping).

• @konjow...yeah you're correct...cineform does have an intel mac version ...but I'm still fighting the battle with a ppc and an xp and I forgot that.

@cantin...MediaConverter didn't work for my 10.4.11 ppc.

I downloaded an older version of ffmpeg and I'll see if it works...thanks. I'd love to do everything on my powermac.

yes..I know ...I should spend 3 grand on a NEW powermac !