Personal View site logo
Do we really need the GH4 and 4:2:2, 10 bit, 4K, Raw file? GH1 and GH2 still rock for me
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • Ok, to summarize my point of view, i wasn't complaining because i'd like to have the most perfect camera model in the universe. As i said, i love my GH2... seriously, with the hack it became a special camera that can challenge, in a way, with some top quality results of high end cameras (i.e. crispness/detail) . So to me it's like to have a Ferrari, but with old and worn tyres. You could push it, but there could be problems. And as as Rerbreg says, with little improvements on DR it could be perfect. I know that low light shots are difficult to achieve because of the dimension of the sensor, and i know that rolling shutter exists because of the refresh speed nature of the CMOS... and i can accept partly these limitations (both using fast primes and stabilization gear).

That's why i posted my original comment and my little experimental film (made as a video for my song). I wanted to know your opinion on my point of view, and on the movie, in which i experienced all these problems.

As i already said, i'm ok with the sanity patch, as it's (to me) the most reliable patch i tried, it's really clean from noise and to my experience it allows me have more details on the shadows area to work in post. Obviously in a limited way.

@Azo, i would love to own more cameras, and i understand your point... different cameras for different purposes, but at the moment i only own a GH2, and i'm investing more in lenses and gear. And anyways i like the idea to limit myself with only one tool and find workarounds. Before these hybrid cameras, the price for a decent one was huge, and not everyone could afford different ones, so the only solution was to work around the limits and make it work. With my first post i was just trying to discuss that this new hybrid market offers to us different choices, but most of them are plagued by the same issues, in a way or another. So it's weird to have all of this choice, since some "classic" issues are always there. Maybe the new digital bolex will make a little difference (being ccd). Who knows.

• @racer5, I don't know what your workflow is but I don't find it hard to deal with RAW and the use of LUT's in Resolve Lite. The workflow is sped up treating my footage with the use of presets which take the footage from RAW > Log > ProRes and using a node you can apply a Rec 709 LUT and any further grades are easily applied using nodes.

I don't think it's a very difficult process in the least. It's harder to describe than it is to do in practice. I may not be understanding your point but from what I can gather it's not really hard unless you make it that way. For me it's the end results that matter most. RAW isn't really about speed, but it's also not as bad as many make it out to be.

• You know what I don't like about the raw workflow? Luts.

Now everytime I ingest a batch of footage I have to, at some point, cycle through a folder of luts, apply each one, then compare them all in an obsessive compulsive quest to find the "right" one. And this is before any creative grading has even begun.

• @AdamT

Yup that is awesome ;-) My 15" Retina MacBook Pro has no problem with the footage that I got off of the internet. I have a Mac Pro also but it is not necessary, you can just use a laptop ;-) I thought that I might have to purchase the Garbage can Mac Pro to edit 4k footage however it does not seem to be necessary. Now I can spend the money on more lenses ;-) Probably the Olympus 12-40 2.8 better focus mechanism I wish Panasonic employed this focus mechanism so I can get OIS.

• You don't need big hardware to work with 4K footage.

• @darkopera

I agree with most of what you say in regards to the raw workflow. However, there are different tools for different jobs depending on what you are doing or trying to achieve. I have access to 3=GH2'2s, Full Frame Nikon DSLR's, Canon XF305's, XF105's, and a Panasonic AF100 for shooting video.

So as an example if I plan to shoot something run and gun I would not use the GH2's for this scenario, to much of a pain in the ass to setup audio, nd filter etc etc when it is much easier to use the XF105 or XF305 which has everything built in. However, if I am in my studio and I want something with shallow depth of field I might use the AF100/GH2's as it is better suited for what I am trying to achieve (Shallow depth of field) and I have ample time to setup my gear.

IMO there is no PERFECT camera, every camera has its strengths and weaknesses. In the case of the GH4 there is no doubt in my mind that for the price this IS the camera to beat. Temper your expectations and learn to work the cameras strong points, otherwise you will never be happy with the end results.

The reality is that with cameras like the 5D Mark III, GH4, BMPC4K there really is nothing that you can't shoot and it is affordable!!!! To me you have to have an assortment of cameras to work in different situations, there is no one shoe fits all type of deal. Just like lenses different lenses depending on what you are trying to achieve.

If you cannot afford different cameras or different lenses then you really need to learn how to squeeze the most out of a particular camera. Currently, I am waiting for my Preordered GH4 to come in and I am pretty sure I will be happy with it. I am also realistic that it won't work for everything that I want to shoot but for the majority of stuff 70% that I intend to shoot the GH4 will do just fine.

Gear.jpg
    1920 x 1036 - 104K
  • @eurocameraman , nice work! how do you find it to match the AF101 & GH2 footage in a shoot?

• I love gh2. But in some situations lacking more color depth, for color grading. I am very happy with light tripod and a small size of the camera can make are cool things.

• Call me lazy, but coming from the motion graphics world (heavy 2d/3d), i'm kind of allergic to heavy workflows. I mean, to me shooting is the first step of the process... if it gets too complicate, heavy or expensive... i'm kind of loosing the point. Don't get me wrong, post production starts from the moment you transfer the footage in any workstation... but i don't want to add further steps to it. At list the first process of reviewing the shots must be straightforward. For example, i've been always amazed and scared from the workflow implied with the RED ONE raw material. So much quality, but so much pain in the ass to manage the raw. The final result are stunning, but what if you are in a run & gun situation and just wanna be able to shot properly and review/edit on the run? Not that it has be always that way... but all this "raw thing" it s kind of making everything slower. I'm not against it, i'm observing the whole process happening, and i hope it will get less frustrating with the time (either it will get easier, o i'll get more easygoing with it, maybe i just need the time to accept and digest it). By the way, speaking of quality, if i have to buy a used 60d, at this point i prefer the full frame glory of a 5D mkIII.

• @darkopera, the whole idea of what I just listed above is so that you don't have to archive the huge RAW files. Once the process I listed is done you end up with smaller 10Bit ProRes or DNxHD files that are still highly gradable with the full DR of the RAW files. The cool thing is that the process isn't that bad considering the excellent quality of the images you end up with.

Canon 50D used - $400 Komputerbay 128GB 1050x CF Card - $170 MLV Mystic - Free (to convert MLV to DNG) Cinelog - $40 (to apply LUT inside Resolve to DNG for Log space files) Resolve 10 LIte - Free (to convert the Log DNG to ProRes or DNxHD 10bit)

• Glad that you can manage the postproduction and the storage with RAW. As i said before RAW and 4K produce wonderful images, but i think we are still not ready (or at least "I'm not") to manage the workflow, unless we have a lot of time and big cash to spend in hardware/storage.

• Still using my GH1 everyday and it's even more fun since I bought the RJ Speed booster. I will say tho, that the Canon 50D with ML RAW is a serious image maker. I don't think many here understand just how lovely the image can be once you get your workflow down it's a very serious platform. It's got it's issues, but the more I practice working with it, the easier it gets. I'm still not on par with my GH1 workflow, but it's getting better.

If you haven't worked with ML on a Canon yet you really should give it a try. Makes even my old T2i a real workhorse. The amount of added features is unreal. Right now I just take the MLV files off the CF card->convert to DNG->Load into Resolve->transcode to DNxHD Mov file using Cinelog LOG LUT and you end up with a 10bit high bit rate file with plenty of latitude and real character. The Canon colors are wonderful. IMO the image you can get from RAW is just on another level. It has a look that is more natural and doesn't remind me it's video every second.

• I'm waiting until to see how the A7s shakes out...pricewise. To see in the dark....And from the gh4 news, 1080 isn't any better than the gh3, unless you downconvert 4k. Rumor newz is that this year the gh3 will be heavily discounted, along with the g6. Middle of the pricewise road folks...like gh folks... should also be looking at a6000. It's pretty hard to beat the multi-aspect ratio sensor of the gh1 & 2.

• I would like to see a dynamic range comparison between GH2 and GH4 before making a decision...

• Hello fellow filmakers, i've been following this forum from when i bought the GH2 in 2011. But i never actually posted on here. With the hack (i always used the Sanity patch, as i rely on stability and hard drive economy) it became a little jewel... but as with other dslr cameras, i've always been plagued by the infamous rolling shutter (micro and macro jello). With GH2 it's still there, but with obvious improvements on sensor speed/refresh.

This is my last personal project with GH2:

Wheter you'll like it or not (for who's not interested in the story and want to see the footage i suggest to skip the intro and go straight to 1:26) it has been an hassle to manage all the defects that this camera has. Ok i'm not a pro, nor i own pro gear, all handheld/tripod, but between rolling shutter, compression artifacts, blown highlights due to low DR, noise from rising the shadows (and in general the weird ISO issues), i've honestly spent too much time on the post-production side (and it's not an enjoiable time like color correction, setting the style etc...it s a pain in the ass to correct every single clip that looks wrong, not knowing until the end if it could be used or not) Don't get me wrong, i think that for the money it's a great camera... but a filmmaker should spend more time on shooting/editing/soundtracking rather than try to adjust and correct in camera errors. Obviously you cold say...spend more money and get a pro camera. Yes i could... but isn't the purpose of this market segment to give us a middle way? It's disappointing to know that in this market range you could have cinemalike style, but in the end, you have to die to get something interesting out of the footage. And i'm not talking about shaky footage to stabilize.. if it was only that... it would be fine: it's the camera against my shaky hands.. so perfectly fair. It's all the rest that has been a nightmare. I love and hate this camera, so i'm now used to this.

With the recent news in the market, such BMCC, 5D markIII, GH3 & GH4, i've been overwhelmed by the desire to upgrade to a new model, but what i've seen is that there are no real improvements... or to better say, none of these new models give me a good reason to make a definitive choice.

5D MKIII: too soft with factory settings (even more to my eyes used to the crispy GH2), too much of an hassle with the new RAW/magic lantern (storage, heavy post, dedicated software, monster hardware to interact in post). No middle way to choose from...or soft, or supercrispy but heavy like hell. And one of the biggest issues to me: no flip lcd screen (if you get used to it with GH2, you can't even think to go back)

BM CinemaCamera: no m43 active mount to be able to use my m43 lenses electronic functions, smaller sensor (ok better with metabones, but still impossible to get a beautiful, creamy shallow DOF like 5D), totally different workflow in post plus it's required to spend tons of money in rigs and other stuff needed to have decent results. Plus ergonomically really sucks! And i don't need 12 stop of DR, if the price i have to pay is a nightmare in post.

BM Pocket CC: to me is too small, and still has a lot of issues. Yes, cool for the price, but still too much of a toylike that requires anyway painful postproduction.

GH3: as you all have seen... to me not worth an upgrade from GH2 (to me big improvements should have been better low light performances, little more DR)

GH4: basically 4K is not exactly what i need now... i was still looking for better low light and DR. And if i get the yagh... the price is going crazy to the 5MKIII range. I've been at Camera Park, the 25th of April when Driftwood presented it, so i had a chance to touch it and try it. Overall a good camera, lot of differences from my GH2, i saw the pedestal and control of the blacks and the cineD profiles... all cool stuff, but then i saw online different tests and actually the little improvements in DR brought back the hated noise. So... i could write for hours, but to cut: i live and work in London, and in June i'll be traveling for my first time to the US, so i thought it was the right time to purchase a new camera, to try it on the road, shooting the landscapes i always dreamt of. The idea to shoot only with the GH2, and then having again a hell of post issues made me want to make the big step in upgrading. I was thinking to the 5d (as i ve been secretly in love with its look for years... glorious full frame creamy footage and great still camera) but i've been shocked at how bad it is with its softness. And the idea to sharpen in post seems to me ridiculous (post sharpening will not add detail, it will only destroy high frequencies).

I'm actually thinking to continue with my GH2, buy the metabones speedbooster and see if can get any little improvement (at least in light and crop factor) So this is my confusion about what's going on in the market actually. This market is constantly throwing at us multiple new features with every new model, but then they "forget" to improve the old ones. I understand that these companies are challenging each other... but this is not going anywhere. Do we really need all of this? Like RAW and 4k? Beautiful indeed, but still, there are so many other old issues, i'd rather to see them solved before. It's like: we can go to the moon.. but by horse riding. Let's go less far, but in a better way. I hope you understand my frustration and point of view.

• Ok, I should clarify:

Personally I believe that for PROFESSIONAL USE unless it's a proxy, all footage should be at least 1080, 422, 10bit, and 150 Mbps or higher I-Frame If 1080 or 600 Mbps or higher I-Frame if 4K (UHD).

• Personally I believe that unless it's a proxy, all footage should be AT LEAST 1080, 422, 10bit, and 150 Mbps or higher I-Frame.

No, I think for cats videos it must be at least 444 and 200mbps.

• Personally I believe that unless it's a proxy, all footage should be AT LEAST 1080, 422, 10bit, and 150 Mbps or higher I-Frame.

• Need? Of course not. But for me it's a very worthwhile upgrade both for stills and video. The new profiles are very nice. Focus peaking and zebra stripes are a big help. Improved AF tracking is great. The EVF is so much nicer to use than the one on the GH3. And of course 4K lovely for 4K and for better 1080.

• Question: Do we really need the GH4 and 4:2:2, 10 bit, 4K, Raw file?

Answer: Yes.

• @Thorn, you are perfectly right, it is the reason why, in my post, I always split personal work (short movie, Music video, experiment) and client assignement, where you get the best possible camera for the job you are paid for. I did green screen shot with the AF100 as it renders green "green", but better to get an external recorder to get less compression in the footage. Whatever WB setting I tried, I never get it right out of my GH2: it came out Cyan. You can check on my video "Cross Polo making of", I decided to turn out the GH2 footage in (almost) BW in post to not show off the difference compare to AF100 and its perfect green. As I said in different post, what I like about this type of job (being a small potatoe in a big project) is to be free on my creative decision and this allowed me to use whatever camera I like and to render the video the way I like it. For commercial green screen (serious job with lots of people in my back), it is rare we need shallow depth of field, so I am using a Panasonic HPX250 or any other real HD video camera with 4:2:2. 10 bits and strong codec. Out of color accuracy, sharpness and details matter a lot for post. For example, when we did a close up shot of a guy runing in front of a green screen, we used the camera in vertical position to get as many useful pixel as possible. Due to its sharpness, the GH3 is good enough for green screen. I never tried with the GH1 as I always considered this camera for my personal work, and I prefer live action in real space for my short stories. Also we don't always need green screen for special effect (you can check my short: Revolverte and Hidden Talent) and it is fun to go against mainstream, trying another way of doing strange stuff. Best example is the end of "Finger Up'. (all of those videos were posted in the discussion)

• Shoot something on a chroma wall with a GH2 and a GH4 with 4:2:2 and do some compositing... and then repeat there's no "need" for better than GH2-level footage. ;)

• @zigizigi thanks for the reply, but I am confused by it. I am talking about the off topic: monitors and monitor calibration. I am not sure what bit depth they have (specifically the wide gamut Dell U2410) but I will read up on it.

I fully understand the GH2 is 8 bit w/4:2:0 color. I am editing my .mts files natively in Premiere CS6 on Mac OS 10.8.4. I understand this is an 8 bit workflow and I try to keep any effects in PPro or AE to 32 bit floating point to preserve quality. If getting off topic we can continue over here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6793/how-to-setup-dell-u2410-wide-gamut-monitor-for-color-grading-in-cs6-and-resolve/p1 Thanks.

• @CFreak You have misconception about what 12 bit vs 8 bit does. There's no difference in dynamic range whatsoever. If the sensor delivers, say, 13 stops of DR it will be still 13 stops of latitude between the darkest shadow and the brightest highlight, no matter whether you encode it to either 8 bits, or 10, or 12 or whatever. The difference is all about HOW MANY brightness steps will be between the darkest shadow and the brightest highlight. So you will definitively see more banding, more discrete color bands, using 8 bit compression on gradients. The most common situation for smooth gradients that occurs in nature is a sunset. You will definitely benefit from 12 bits if you shoot sunsets on a daily basis. Other than that the difference is not as obvious to human eye as most people tend to think.