Personal View site logo
Dog Schidt Lenses
  • 119 Replies sorted by
  • And @BurnetRhoades you should be more careful with what you say. I saw that you edited your post.

It's just such a classic, I feel the need to repost it.

rhoads racist.PNG
    874 x 152 - 13K
  • @jpbturbo Yeah, I do. I'm not going to share it at this point because I can never hope to ever match the greatness and omnipotence of Mr. Sean Cunningham.

This is a snippet from the Vimeo description: "The best indication of the difference between the standard Helios 44 and the Flare Factory 58 is at the point where the camera catches the light behind the models back. "

It's a silhouette. You're going to get flare even if you use a nikkor under those same conditions.

@3kids At what point did I say I was 20 years old? You have no idea how old I am.

And if you are going to brag about degrees, you should show them to me. Otherwise I have no reason to believe you.

• @BurnetRhoades

Yeah, not sure why it's not displaying inline.

• @photoman Well done Watson. Cause who doesn't have the need to show off to a 20yr old kid.

"If it takes someone like me to tell you that you can put a filter on a lens and you can't accept that, where does that leave you and your professionalism?"

Shouldn't you be concerned/ confused about that? :-)

• @jpbturbo, hmmm, most of the time if you just paste the link but remove the "s" in "https" it should play inline.

• @photoman

Do you have an online portfolio of your work? A youtube channel or vimeo?

• At this risk of posting something relevant...

http://vimeo.com/album/2271288/video/60521495

• @photoman your detective skills are astounding. You really should pursue a change in career.

• Not nice.

• @3Kids So... you don't have degrees? Hold yourself to the same standards that you are applying to me. You are intentionally baiting me, how do you expect me to respond?

If you guys are such "professionals," why don't you lead by example. You're too stuck up to admit that you don't know everything. But I guess that's just the way life is, right? If it takes someone like me to tell you that you can put a filter on a lens and you can't accept that, where does that leave you and your professionalism?

• @BurnetRhoades I heard you like Lorde.

lorde.PNG
    733 x 98 - 17K
  • @BurnetRhoades Yeah, ok Sean Cunningham who didn't create Friday the 13th

burnet rhoades.PNG
    741 x 117 - 18K
  • I think VK is just enjoying it too much, I know I am :)

• @BurnetRhoades +1

Until this guy puts a cheap color filter over his Helios and uploads something which I can't distinguish from the DS footage that's already up, I'm done with this conversation.

• There's a simpler solution here.

• @vicharris Good question.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Can you close this thread?

• How is this thread even still open at this point?

• @BurnetRhoades And I'm the troll. Congratulations on succumbing to groupthink. I bet you feel good about yourself.

1146661_185636661614999_1569735874_n.jpg
    276 x 183 - 9K
  • @3kids It's not meant to show anything but that. It's a camera lens.

You can do a lot of stuff with editing and/or a filter. You don't have to buy the same lens for more than twice the price.

And if you are telling me about your PhDs you missed the point about me even referencing Socrates. College education is not indicative of real life experiences; it is an institution to train you to conform. We are forced to do it out of tradition; we comply because we want work.

Further, you are telling me you have some degrees and you live in Greece. If you do, upload photos. Show me your diplomas and passport.

@jpbturbo If you want to make it look filmic (scratches and stuff) overlay an 8mm or 16mm projection in digital editing. You can find stock footage on the internet available for download.

If you scratch or put dust on the lens it will be static, too. Every shot will have the same scratch and the same dust in the same place.

@eatstoomuchjam If the point of using these lenses is to achieve a lo-Fi look, then what is the difference if you use a lens filter. DSO offers low contrast options; they don't offer high contrast options.

I am not holding any of you back. If you think it's so great, why haven't you bought them already? I know why I am not buying any; why aren't you?

• I wasn't aware that the gh2 was capable of metadata on video files.

Anyways, That video looks like it has a static grain image overlaid on most of it. Not very filmic at all.

The DSO vids in this thread look far more natural.

• @photoman What is this video supposed to show? I own a helios as well, quite familiar with its look :)

• @3kids I think I shot this one using the helios. It's been a while and there's no metadata on the file (because it's not a CPU lens). I do remember it was the GH2 and a Rode Videomic Pro, though.

• @photoman No need to quote Socrates, I've read the original texts, I'm Greek :) In addition I'm still a student, while working in tv/film production for more than a decade, even at the age of 32, doing my PhD (I also have 3 other media/tv/film related degrees, so I do appreciate... learning).

Now, moving on to your question, please do buy an old helios, try repurposing the lens by yourself, show us the result and if willing, describe us the process. Then we can find and explain the differences between yours and DS, and maybe you will actually learn something -or even make a business out of it- by researching it instead of going crazy just because you don't get it :)

p.s. I don't use or own a DS lens, and therefore can't critic it. From personal experience, I've learned to only judge a product after using it in person, otherwise it's just trash talk ;)