Personal View site logo
Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX
  • 351 Replies sorted by
  • fotodioxpro.com is gone?

• @kurth: Well, it'd be great if photodiox improved with .5x, but I really doubt it.

I read on metabones' website, that they don't offer 0.5x m43 adapters, because they wouldn't be able to make a quality adapter for given space (without correcting flange distance). Recently they started selling x0.58 and x0.64 for m43 mount, but they fit only Blackmagic cams (those adapters protrude to much into the camera to be used on Oly and Pana cameras (they have shutter and stuff on the way)).

So if metabones can't make such an adapter up to their standards, I don't expect Vizelex x0.5 to be much better than Mark I. I think that quality similar to current Mark II would be quite an achievement for Vizelex. Time will show.

• fotodioxpro.com is gone?

...yeah...that's curious isn't it ?

• Hi everybody. I'm Bohus - I'm the guy in all of the Fotodiox videos, and I also do some product design. Fotodiox.com is back online. We're back up now. So there's nothing sinister going on. ;)

We're still going through testing on the Excel +1 adapter, the replacement to the Light Cannon. We sent out a few prototypes to select users (as the letter enclosed with each one explained) to get some feedback. We are working on more Excel adapters with more mounts, faster speeds, etc. We just don't have a delivery schedule for those right now as they're still in development.

@Flablo - We're really sorry about the rocky road that you've been on with the Light Cannon and the Excel. We've got your emails here, and we want to work with you to find a solution that works for you.

I'm happy to answer any other questions I can. Just let me know how I can help.

• @bohus ok, we didn't understand what was going on. It seemed you suddenly abandoned the path you proposed us and found a quick solution with a substitute. As for me, that wasn't acceptable as I agreed to "invest" on the new adapters because of your announcement of the possible 0.5x version, and I would have used the special code you gave me when the adapters would have come out, opting for the 0.5x version (if its quality would have been decent) or maybe some other mount version. I know you didn't do it on purpose, but the fact that you forgot to mark the shipment as a replacement (as we agreed some time ago) so I had to pay import taxes AGAIN didn't help of course. I need to understand if you are basically saying that the adapter you sent me does NOT replace the offer you made and on which we agreed, and if I can consider the offer still valid. If you sent it for testing purpose, I would be more than happy to make some better tests and give/share some feedback (and from what I've found until now, the adapter seems good) and also give it to test to other videomakers I know. And of course I'd prefer not to spend ANOTHER 40 euros to send the adapter back to the US...

But I hope it's clear that this ISN'T what I was waiting for when I agreed to wait. Should the 0.5x version never come out, I would then opt for some other mount version (Canon FD would be great), but not another Nikon 0.74x. If we agree on this and the offer is still valid I'm ready to wait for the release of the new adapters ... and to choose on which one to invest my special code.

(sorry for the rude CAPITAL words, but I needed some things to be clear)

• @flablo - We're on the same page. One of our New Year's resolutions at Fotodiox is to connect with our customers even more. You can see over the last few months in our commitment to producing a bunch of fun video content on YouTube... and we more committed than ever to remaining very active on Facebook and Twitter and even some new outlets.

It's a big job, but that's the goal. We want you to feel like Fotodiox is as close and welcoming as your neighborhood camera shop. Our sales philosophy is simple. We don't want to sell you something you don't want. It's kind of the way we think every business should run.

So let's address some of your issues. I'd prefer to sort these things out in email, but I can clear up a few things here. I understand that the adapter you received in the mail wasn't what you were expecting as part of your exchange. We're not going to hang you out to dry. just get back in touch with Sara and we'll work out a course of action.

Here's what I understand about your being billed for the replacement. We marked the package as being a replacement for you (it's not a matter of us having forgotten to check "replacement" off on the form. We added the notice of replacement onto the label to make it clear). It sounds like the post office that delivered it to you made an error by misreading the label, and then charged you. Your best bet is to register a complaint with them. Unfortunately we have little influence over the actions of the delivery services in other countries. Next time I think we'll write "REPLACEMENT" in huge letter on each side of the box. ;)

The other adapters we've talked about are still in the lab being tested. I don't have any delivery dates on those yet. what I'd suggest you do is to stay in touch with Sara or myself and we can work exactly what would be a fair replacement to make up for your trouble.

You and everyone else on this list should always feel free to drop us a line when something like this comes up. We have a half-dozen people who are here every day ready to help out. Cool?

Thanks, everybody.

• @bohus totally agree about sorting these things out in email, but since you choose to come back to me here, I just followed. I already got back to Sara and I'm just waiting for you to reply to my email with your proposal of course of action. I don't mean to keep on arguing about the "replacement subject" here, Sara already has the documentation I prepared and I think that is quite conclusive. So feel free to get back to me by email. Thanks for the feedback

• @Michal it's not that it can't be done, you can make reducers for a lens and mount it on the same camera with infinity focus (eg Nikon -> Nikon), that sort of thing is patented though iirc even though it's not on the market.

The state of the art of optical design is avoiding patent issues, as you are probably going to infringe a patent if you just design and make a lens. It's a bad joke really, as is the image quality of the light cannon. Would like to see these guys make something great for the MFT crowd.

• Thanks @Bohus for the response.

• Update: after confronting directly with Fotodiox I realized they didn't make any mistake with the shipping. It was an error of the very clever Italian customs. I felt it was fair to point this out after our posts here. They have been very supportive and I'm sure we will find a solution.

• Any updates on this? Contacted their "Customer Service" at the end of December regarding when the new light cannon would be in stock and they said it should be "available in 3 weeks." This is the 3rd week so we will see if they keep this promise...

• I just got an email from update from them:

Thank you for your purchase of the original Vizelex Light Cannon. As you may have experienced, the Light Cannon's optics didn't perform at a level you've come to expect from Fotodiox Pro, and for this we sincerely apologize. To make it up to you, we have completely reinvented the Light Cannon in the form of the new Nikon (G) to M4/3 Fotodiox Pro Excell +1 Lens Adapter, and reserved for you a complimentary pre-release unit. If you'll take a few moments to reply to this email with your shipping address, your Nikon (G) to M4/3 Excell +1 will be on its way to you today.

Your Light Cannon feedback inspired us to go back to the drawing board, and we've redesigned the adapter from the ground up. Over the last several weeks, we've put the adapter's new optic system through repeated tests and have received great feedback from our beta testing team. We will be officially releasing the new Excell +1 Adapter in a few weeks.

The Excell +1 makes the attached lens' view 0.72x wider and increases the maximum aperture of the lens by 1 stop. With the Excell +1, you can now use a 35mm lens on a crop sensor camera without sacrificing the angle of view that you often lose with other lens mount adapters.

We are also currently working on the 0.5x version of the Excell Adapter for release later this year. If you would prefer to wait until the 0.5x version of the Excell Adapter is ready, simply reply to this email and let us know. We will get in touch with you as soon as the 0.5x Excell is ready to ship.

We sincerely hope that you enjoy being among the first to use the new Excell +1 Adapter, and that you'll share your thoughts and photos with us. Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me or anyone on our support team if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you again from all of us at Fotodiox!

Sara Benner

Note to International Customers: Please let us know if there are any special instructions specific to your address.

• Got a confirmation that "your new Excell+1 adapter has shipped." with a tracking number. With all the snowstorms we're having in my part of the US, it may be awhile before I actually receive it. This will be interesting to see what they have come up with this time...

• @CFreak look at previous posts in this thread to know about the Excel +1

• @flablo Thanks for pointing this out. Did they also call it an Excell +1? Did you receive the same documentation that it's been redesigned from the ground up? What did you end up resolving with them? And when?

I really don't hold much hope they can produce a decent 0.5x without first getting the 0.72x correct. I recall reading somewhere from Caldwell optics that a 0.5x Nik G to MFT wasn't possible due to the space available. I also recall from experience at an opticians office, that the slim lenses one can get for eye glasses also had more CA.

I downloaded your photos in full rez and flipped through them, back and forth. It seems the Excell you received is slightly less sharp and has a flare issue compared to the MB Speedbooster. The MB SB is much truer to the original photo, except brighter and wider.

I have saved up for the MB SB so if this thing isn't any good, I will go buy the real thing. I am done with all this waiting.

• Does anyone have tests comparing the MB Speedbooster with the "new" Fotodiox Excell +1 ? I got mine in the mail, and can say that its a hellova lot sharper than the light cannon. But It looks like it loses some sharpness compared to a plain old adapter. It does offer a wider angle and some added brightness though.

I'll try and post a comparison pic with and without the Excell adapter tomorrow maybe.

• Here's a pic of my adapter, sorry its not so good.

excell +1 (1 of 1).jpg
    4976 x 2800 - 2M
  • Just got mine yesterday and it's no good. Picture get soft once the iris open up, it's not as bad as the Cannon but still too soft to be usable.

• I'd pay someone to take my Excelle off my hands, but then I don't really feeling like losing any more money on this.

• Just try it with a f2.8 zoom and that's ok, my f1.4 is horrible at wide open. I guess it can still be useful if you have a lens at f2.8 and above...

• Fool me once......:)

• I have a Lens Cannon MK1 and want to wait for the x0.5 MK2. I did get a Speed booster x0.58 for my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (doesn't fit other cameras because the shutter would be in the way).

Was anyone able to compare the Lens Cannon MK1 to MK2 (aka "Excell +1") yet? Or even the Speed Booster vs Excell +1? If someone was to borrow me an Excell +1, I could do a comparison of Lens Cannon, Excell +1, Speed Booster x0.58 with the same test scene, camera and settings for comparison.

Marcus@Wolschon.biz

• I've exchanged emails with Sara at Fotodiox. She claims that the +2 .5x is forthcoming (no ETA) and that there are no issues with blurring at wide apertures with this revision. Time will tell.

• @Brandt - Yeah right, that's what Sara told me they were developing with the Excel +1. Don't hold your breath.

Burned me once, tried to make good and disappointed me again with their lackluster replacement the Excel +1.

I really had to laugh when I saw the 2014 NAB video of Bohus (from Fotodiox) talking up all the great B4 lenses you can use on your mirrorless camera thanks to his forthcoming kit. He clearly doesn't understand much about optics and parallel light rays vs. converging light rays, prisms and multiple sensors vs. single sensors in cameras, etc, etc, etc.