Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @astraban Tried that too. Problem was still there and using Chrome scares the shit out of me :)

• Use chrome on vimeo. No prob. Firefox : desync fest.

• It's probably Vimeo. I've been having problems with sync on and off. Just think it's what time of day and how taxed your network is when it's uploaded. Try again and I'd even throw it up on Youtube just as a test. I upload everything I do to both sites just to compare.

• @pinger007 Wow.. man great job footage is flawless, can't tell the difference between ProRes and Raw that how close they are. Got a question what shutter angle did you shoot on 180 or 172.8 looks like it's 172.8 to me but I might be wrong, was the ProRes shot on Film Mode, or Rec709? Did you do any sharpening in post? Keep up the great work should be getting my BMPCC tomorrow excited.

• ^ what he said! I've never had that problem with Vimeo, but it has been reported numerous times. Try contacting support to see if they can offer a solution, and of course, try uploading again.

O

• Vimeo causes that on vimeo, i have noticed out of sync audio on some of my vimeo uploads.

• @_OZ

I see what you mean. The audio does seem to be off, but I just double-checked the original file and it's perfectly synced. Any idea what would cause that on Vimeo?

• @pinger007

footage looks great, but major sync issues. I'm guessing that you repeated the same text with multiple camera angle takes, but used audio that doesn't quite match up? Or is the audio just overall not synced? Either case, skin looks great, but the sync ruins it for me.

O

• This is the first footage I shot with the BMPCC. It was an interview lit with two softboxes and shot with a pair of Pocket cameras. One was shooting Raw and the other was shooting Prores so that I could see how they cut together. I used some old Nikkor AIS lenses and a Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 with a Metabones Speedbooster. I love how the camera renders color and skintones. My first time using Resolve, and I love the workflow. Please give me any suggestions related to the look of the footage and any advice you might have for future shoots.

Thanks.

http://vimeo.com/fcstl/byron

• About to make my first Blackmagic Design product purchase (BMPCC) Babe... Yeah!!! :) Gonna make this little Beast of a camera sing.. 10bit 422HQ / RAW here I come.

• For the most part, I'd probably choose a 2.5K Blackmagic or Pocket Camera over MX. HIgh-speed and lack of MOire/aliasing are really the only reasons to think about it, for me.

Your mileage may vary.

• what's this bm pocket = red mx (even though red mx is 4k raw..high speed..etc.)????

• 1/8" to XLR adapter maybe...but I don't know if sound quality gets diminished with adapters. (I use 1/8" Lav, so no experience with this recorder and adapter.)

• I misundertood what was meant by "reference". I've always assumed everyone would go with double system sound. Roland sounds good but no xlr's..

• Absolutely agree -best quality with dedicated sound guy.

• I was more thinking about a sound person. Going on your own you'd need a really good limiter or even a compressor. Plus, the camera doesn't start or stop the recorder in your pocket…

• @nomad For small and unobtrusive, perhaps go with a Roland R-05 recorder. I use it and quality is great. It's a very small recorder the size of an iphone and light as a feather. Runs forever on 2 AA batteries. Has meters.. You could attach it to Pocket camera somehow and still be light and small. Hope this helps someone looking for lightweight/small audio option.

• The only thing you can do is going in with enough pre-amplification do get decent audio.

For perfect audio you'll need separate recording, but that kills the advantages of being small and unobtrusive.

• I really like ProRes after Resolve grading, it looks so good as RAW, but ProRes not sharp as RAW. I'd like to know what exactly sharpening setting I need set on ProRes footage at Resolve to get very close level of sharpness as RAW looks. It can help save lot of space, since I have only one 64GB/95MB Sandisk SDXC for RAW, and about 6 64GB/45MB. That can help cut together ProRes and RAW at same sequence too.

• Audio is quite bad on BM cameras, you can check Robert Rozak videos to see frequency response and other stuff.

• It's a hardware limitation. The only improvements they should be able to do is a meter and a flatter frequency response curve.

• Do you need a reference mic on this? what's wrong with the built in?

• @Askel Yeah That's what I mean "it works" but the preamps are shit. You have to add at least 12db in post if you use it for that. I think any mic you use needs that 12db boost(like the Pro)

I kinda wonder if this is also something they could "improve" in firmware or if its just a hardware limitation.

• @No_SuRReNDeR I just tried it but man you can't hear Sh##. The sound is so low that the camera mic is better for the sync.

• If you want acceptable sound you'll need a mic with pre-amp, like the Røde Video Mic Pro. Or get the iRig Pre, change the connections and use it as a pre-amp.