Personal View site logo
True Detective (TV Series)
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • (sniff, sniff) I smell Christian, Southern, Republican, some combination of the three or some aspect closely related. Maybe, maybe not.

Haters tend to have underlying reasons for their criticism.

• Oh, come on, guys. King Lear is a masterpiece. So are the late Beethoven quartets. Love or hate "True Detective", but it's not life-changing, the highest expression of human creativity or a monument of Western culture. And it has many, many antecedents.

For the record, I'm neither, Christian, southern, Republican, or any combination thereof.

• If all we have is hyperbole then it's fair game on both sides.

• @robertGl

"@Jean71 why are you so upset by my opinion of the show? I could go into detail why I find the show pretentious and overrated, but that would take extra work, and it would accomplish nothing because fanboys will never accept any criticism that makes their beloved show seem less than what they believe it to be"

If you don't have the "extra time" for "extra work" i accept it.

But details are always welcome since this is a community, and as i said before, if you are negative towards everything, that is of no help, and neither a contribute to the community. So don't worry about fanboys, and since we are there, you can also explain the technical problems of Dragon Sensor, since you wrote "Meh" and people from CML and ASC are testing it, and major directors and DP's, academy winners too, are already using it for big budget movies.

Please go into details, we are here to share and learn, and it's possible i can learn something based on your technical analysis on sensors and tv shows.

• Well we're 2 episodes into 2nd season and what a let down :-(

When I first saw Vaughan cast as one of the bad guys my spine twirled, but it's worse than that. WTF with the repetitive and quite boring establishing shots and (maybe with the exception of Farrell) with the odd and soft choosing of actors?!!! Ok sweaty McAdams has a big behind and there's some pretty latin ladies (who actually can act) but almost all supporting roles are more interesting and solidly carried out than main characters: the girl with big scar on the face, the alcoholic mayor drinking directly from the cocktail mixer (Ritchie Coster), the devious mom with herpes (Lolita Davidovich)...

The gap is ever so more evident 'cause, despite all its compromises and holes, season 1 was one of the best tv shows out there, with stellar performances. IMO the only thing that's a bit redeeming in this new delivery are intro titles (good follow up of previous, ST's Leonard Cohen’s Nevermind) and having T. Bone Burnett as music supervisor.